Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-20-2006, 16:44   #1
18C Dad
Auxiliary

SF Graduation Gifts?

Greetings All,

Provided my son successfully completes his Korean language class, he is scheduled to graduate on May 25 and/or 26 - he has two dates for some reason. My wife and I plan to travel to North Carolina to attend the festivities and explore part of NC.

Here are my questions: is it normal and appropriate for parents to get their SF graduate a graduation gift? Can you provide me with some gift ideas?

Remember, I don't have a military background so this is all new to me.

Editors: if this is not the appropriate section, please relocate as you see fit.

18 X Dad
18C Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 16:54   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

This will do nicely........ (if he's in First Gp, 5th Gp Black, 10th Gp Green, 7th Gp Red, 3rd Gp, get him a Rubik's Cube.)
Old 03-20-2006, 17:09   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Yes.

Guns, knives, watches, any sort of HSLD gear he can use.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 17:13   #4
CoLawman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
This will do nicely........ (if he's in First Gp, 5th Gp Black, 10th Gp Green, 7th Gp Red, 3rd Gp, get him a Rubik's Cube.)

Location of Real Estate: Washington
Gift: What TR suggested AND what TS suggested.

Last edited by CoLawman; 03-20-2006 at 17:14. Reason: Forgot Lifter!
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 17:14   #5
18C Dad
Auxiliary

Talking RIIIGGGHHHHTTTTT!!

TS-

Just because I live in the Greater Seattle area, I need to make it clear that I am not related to Bill Gates (Microsoft), Paul Allen (Seattle Seahawks owner), Jeff Bezos (Amazon.com), or Howard Schultz (Starbucks).

I'm just a working dad who is blessed to have five kids - one of whom who has chosen to take the road less traveled and try to become a QP.

Any gift suggestions for those of us in the 15% tax bracket will be appreciated.

18 X Dad
Old 03-20-2006, 17:24   #6
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

Real Gift

Get him a real 1911A1 for when his M9 breaks. Or, a good folding knife, like a Buck 110 Hunter, depending on economics.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 17:25   #7
CoLawman
Area Commander

Gift Idea

18X,

Several months back I learned that Special Forces has their own Patron Saint. Go For Broke provided links to where to purchase it. This is one of my planned gifts upon the son graduating (ever the optimist). Not sure if you are Catholic but not sure that it matters.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...1&postcount=13
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 17:28   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

OK

a nice pocket folding knife.

A nice watch.

A quality flashlight.

An MP3 player with a $500 coupon for music.

A great digital camera.

A New set of golf clubs.

Scuba lessons.

I've no idea what this generation desires, ask him.......

Team Sergeant
Old 03-20-2006, 17:33   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Call Mr. Harsey.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 17:35   #10
18C Dad
Auxiliary

Could you tell by the number of kids?

Co-Lawman,

Yes, we are Catholic - the five kids usually puts us in the Catholic or LDS camp. Thanks for the suggestion.

18 X Dad
Old 03-20-2006, 17:40   #11
TitratetoEffect
Quiet Professional

Graduation Gift

18X Dad,

Get your son one of these.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 226.jpg (52.1 KB, 146 views)
TitratetoEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 18:06   #12
mffjm8509
Quiet Professional

When I graduated the SFQC, my Dad bought me an SF ring from Heritage jewelrs in Fayetteville http://heritagejewelers.net/mcart/in...i?code=3&cat=6

My wife bought me a Randal Model 1 fighting knife, http://www.randallknives.com/military.asp

A rolex is always a nice gift as well..........still havent found anyone to buy me one of those.

mp

MDP

"May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Last edited by mffjm8509; 03-21-2006 at 05:35.
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 18:39   #13
casey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Call Mr. Harsey.
Concur 100% - You can't go wrong with anything from Mr. Harsey

I sent my son a beauty with his initails on it (and the muscle head has yet to break it)
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 18:58   #14
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Gift

Gear, Knife...etc
Since you will be in Fayetteville take him to one of the outlets in town that sell gear (There are plenty) You will pay more in town then on the web but he will know what he needs for deployments. I know that is not a true gift, shopping like that with the giftee. I know that many online Tactical Gear vendors let you buy Gift certificates. Also maybe something for entertainment for the long deployments like mentioned above (MP3/IPOD)
Don't know your financial situation but in this day and age a personal Laptop will help him professionally and entertainment wise.
If you want something real personal a good quality knife (Search on this board for threads on quality knives) engraved with something personal. Plenty of engraving shops in Fayetteville also.
Can you tell I was Stationed at Bragg..........
My dad gave me a Weapon he brought back to the States after WWII. I never knew he had it and he didn't know much about gun laws. Let’s just say it fired a lot of rounds very fast. He pulled it out of his trunk to give me right in the parking lot of the JFK Auditorium after Graduation. Yes I almost shi..... In my pants. I signed it over to a friend with the proper license to have it and he just keeps it in his Arms Room for me. All is legal now so calm down LEO'S.
Old 03-20-2006, 19:24   #15
Pete
Quiet Professional

Low Speed High Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18X Dad
Can you provide me with some gift ideas?

18 X Dad
18 X Dad;

Call me strange but I would go for a studio setting and some pictures. A couple shots of him in uniform with his beret and a couple of family shots.

Time passes far to quickly and things happen. It would be nice to have some quality pictures to look at and remember years on down the road of life.

While I got some good team pictures down through the years I've found that I wished I had taken more.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote