Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-17-2005, 11:53   #31
pulque
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The Photon Fredom:
It uses 1 or 2 coin batteries, depending on color, and battery life is from 18 hours or so on the highest setting to almost 60 hours on the low setting, and can be had from $12-$20 or so. It is brand new and there is not much info out there about it, including the company's own web site.
Sir Reaper, the webpage for the Photon Freedom is up now.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/...cro/index.html

On that page I can find no mention of battery life. The red Photon II is claimed to get 120 hours of life on the single CR2032 Lithium battery. I wonder if the red Photon Freedom can achieve only half of that. In any case, the other features of the Freedom look good, and right now it comes with one of them hands-free clips.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:10   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulque
Sir Reaper, the webpage for the Photon Freedom is up now.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/...cro/index.html

On that page I can find no mention of battery life. The red Photon II is claimed to get 120 hours of life on the single CR2032 Lithium battery. I wonder if the red Photon Freedom can achieve only half of that. In any case, the other features of the Freedom look good, and right now it comes with one of them hands-free clips.
Might come in handy on an overseas trip, doesn't take up much space.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:19   #33
bberkley
Guerrilla

I've always been kind of a gadget junkie, I can remember when I got my first Maglight, then a mini maglight, which I thought was the greatest thing. I was amazed at the light output with a halogen bulb. I still keep a 3cell Maglight in the house, but have branched to more expensive toys. My first taste of high-grade lights was a Nightsun bicycle lighting system, then a Niterider. The difference between the 2 of them is like comparing Surefire to Maglight.

I currently have a Surefire Z2 with a P61 lamp assembly, a Streamlight Scorpion, a Surefire P101 weapon light, and a Petzl LED/Xenon headlamp. I have a couple of Pelican penlights as well.

Hands down, the Surefires are the best lights I've owned.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07   #34
MackallResident
Auxiliary

To caveat on recommendations in this thread thus far, I have ordered a cheaper LED flashlight as a stow away in my car for a just in case type scenario. They are similar in appearance to surefire, though at a good dime cheaper. I have ordered one and plan on posting a review when i receive it later this week. The lights are called ultrafire lights, and are clearly a rip off of surefire, but if it is a good light, it is a damn fine price.

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/ultrafir...a-p-14245.html
MackallResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 14:08   #35
Cougar6zulu
Asset

Quote:
the Photon Freedom (with pocket/shirt/hat clip and snap link)...-TR
I would like to offer my review..........."This thing is friggin useful as hell!" we were issued the new surefire-mitch- bolt on and its good for what it is 'POINT AREA' but the freedom served me well OUT AND ABOUT. The ability to aim it was paramount to me, and i found the clip pretty durable.

"TANK GOD AND GIVER OF LIFE TO ALL THINGS MECHANICAL"
Cougar6zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 15:32   #36
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

deals

I ordered these a couple months ago as throw aways, Outstanding for the money
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

plus some of their other lights for EDC/car carry are working out great.
Chinese products with free shipping
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 21:46   #37
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have said it before, but it would appear to bear repeating.

You guys betting your lives on $10 bargain flashlights are selling yourselves cheaply. They are going to fail on you at a bad time and let you down, but only you know what your own lives are worth.

Do you use a $75 pistol as well?

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14   #38
steve912
Asset

Just I wanted mention the lumintop td15-xml torch. I use this at work daily and for a hand held light puts out some heat. They claim 700+ lumen but it is really about 580. Very well made, has been dropped multiple times on cement. Some stats here..

The TD15X is a variable-output flashlight that provides four mode of light output. It uses a super bright CREE XM-L T6 LED and a precision reflector to produce a consistently smooth beam at any level. By loosen and tighten the head to switch between four output level - lowest for longest runtime at 20 lumens, highest for maximum light at 580 lumens (1X18650), and strobe for tactical. Its pushbutton tailcap click switch provides secure, ergonomic activation control: press for momentary-on, click for constant-on. The TD15X's crenellated strike bezel and scalloped tailcap provide further defensive options should the need arise.

TD15X comes with one extension tube for using 3x CR123A batteries. A optional second extension tube can be added for using 4x CR123A (or 2x 18650) batteries.

Specifications:
Bulb: CREE XM-L T6 LED
Max Output / Runtime: 580 lumens (1X18650) / 720 lumens (2X18650) / 1 hour

Middle output / Runtime: 200 lumens / 4 hours

Low output / Runtime: 20 lumens / 35 hours

Length: 5.83 inches (148mm)

Bezel Diameter: 1.50 inches (38mm)

Body Diameter: 1 inches (25.4mm)

Weight: 5.3 ounces (150g)

Light Mode: Low-Middle-High-Strobe

Waterproof: IPX-8
Battery Type: 2x CR123A , 2x RCR123A/16340, 1x Li-ion 18650 or 1x 17670 battery

Battery Type with 1 x Extension Tube: 3x CR123A , 3x RCR123A/16340 batteries

Battery Type with 2 x Extension Tube: 4x CR123A , 2x Li-ion 18650 or 2x 17670 batteries

*Output & runtimes based on two CR123A 1300mAh lithium batteries

Features:
Use CREE XM-L T6 LED regulated to maximize output and runtime

Precision reflector creates smooth, optimized beam

Coated tempered window resists impact, 99% Transmission of light, protect the reflector and LED

Four output mode by loosen and tighten the bezel to switch - lowest for longest runtime, highest for maximum light, and strobe for tactical

High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability

Tactical tailcap switch - press for momentary-on, click for constant-on

High ductility steel clip provides multiple carry options

Anti-reverse protection circuit

Weatherproof O-Ring sealed that keep moisture, dust and dirt outside of your flashlight

Wear resistant square thread

Stainless steel crenelated Strike Bezel and scalloped tailcap provide further defensive options.

Intelligent memory circuitry memorizes last mode when activating the light.

Combat Ring with anti-rolling design for secure hold in all conditions

Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.

The holster isnt the best quality, I do have the extension piece for an additional 18650 and in my opinion worth it.. Runs around 100.00 and imo definately worth the price, they also have the td15 which has more of a tight beam where the td15x floods but still can light an area over 100 yards. Or really light up a room... Down below is a link where I purchased mine if anyone is interested. And a clip to give an idea what she looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jx35qxvHhU

http://www.lightjunction.com/luminto...lashlight.html

Last edited by steve912; 05-17-2011 at 00:48.
steve912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24   #39
frostfire
Area Commander

OLIGHT M20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I have said it before, but it would appear to bear repeating.

You guys betting your lives on $10 bargain flashlights are selling yourselves cheaply. They are going to fail on you at a bad time and let you down, but only you know what your own lives are worth.

Do you use a $75 pistol as well?

Best of luck.

TR
This one is not $10, but under $100. So far, the performance is as promised/advertised/reviewed. I've stomped and thrown that sucker as hard as I could so many times and it never blinked. Cheap, non-rugged accessories, and non-US made though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSP...eature=related

http://www.olightworld.com/product_l...?bid=77&sid=89

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 20:56   #40
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Last edited by dr. mabuse; 05-17-2011 at 22:08.
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 14:36   #41
45K40
Asset

Many fine choices for lights. Being a light-freak myself (over 90 0f 'em), here's a few tips. LEDs are the best for runtimes, trippling the runtime vs incandescent. Incans get hot (how many here have burned a hole in a case/bag with a hot bulb accidently turned on...) and have a tendency to be fragile when dropped or exposed to heavy recoil. However, an LED light produces very little IR light; this means no IR filter can be used over it, something to think about if you are doing incan to LED conversion. www.candlepowerforums.com is a wealth of info on almost any type of light known to man. A little on the geeky side, but the reviews are very good,

45K40
Old 05-19-2011, 07:12   #42
steve912
Asset

I agree with 45K40, thats how I found out about my light. Candlepower forums are constantly reviewing new and old items alike, they are highly recommended
steve912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 22:43   #43
wet dog

O.k., I just found something I can't live without

Next item on the short list of cool stuff every guy needs.

http://liquidimageco.com/products/wa...es-hd-wide.php
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28   #44
aaronw
Guerrilla

Anybody try the RAID weapon light yet? I have high hopes for this one. Seems to be about twice as much as the scout series but I've broken more $100 IR covers than I can count.. So maybe the cost difference will even out in the end?

Tho at this point with the peq15 I don't even remember the last time I used weapon light with the ir cover... Still like to give it a whirl. Hopefully we buy some to try out.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote