Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 11-10-2014, 07:49   #1
Switched On
SF Candidate

Making SF NG work while serving in EMS?

Hey,

I am active duty SF and am looking at getting out in a couple years. Is there someone out there who can give me some insight into how guys make a SF career in the NG work while also serving as a firefighter/paramedic? If you can, send me a PM please. I appreciate any help in advance!

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

There are LOTS of Cops and firefighters in NGSF.
Old 11-10-2014, 19:50   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

20th SFGA CSM is in my office.....

He juggles both pretty well.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:38   #4
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

I was not EMS, firefighter or a police officer during my time in 20th Gp, but my advice would be to keep both parties informed on what was going on and resolve any scheduling conflicts early.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:27   #5
Beef
Quiet Professional

Agree with all above. In my state, civil service employees that are NG have pretty firm job protection and military leave policies. I have a friend that is a cop and he spent over 5 years on AD between 2004-2011. No loss of job, seniority or position. That being said, heed Trapper Frank's advice. Your chief/supervisor can make your life hell if he doesn't "support" NG membership. Good luck!
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 15:49   #6
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I'm a cop and six guys on my ODA are cops. My medic is a Fire Fighter so it all depends on your MOS. If you're an 18D, the FF/Paramedic route is a good way to go.

As for time to take off, it depends on how large your agency is. My agency is pretty large so it's no hassle to take time off, other agencies if they are small will give you some flak in some shape or form.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 21:29   #7
Switched On
SF Candidate

Thank you all for the responses. My main concern was the scheduling issue, seeing how SF guys most likely do more than 1 weekend/mo 2 weeks/yr. As long as both supervisors are aware there should be no conflicts. Also, I'm a 18C and I would try to work up at A/2/20.

Thanks again guys.
Old 11-12-2014, 18:16   #8
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched On View Post
Thank you all for the responses. My main concern was the scheduling issue, seeing how SF guys most likely do more than 1 weekend/mo 2 weeks/yr. As long as both supervisors are aware there should be no conflicts. Also, I'm a 18C and I would try to work up at A/2/20.

Thanks again guys.
Since A Co. located in the Chicago area, you should be able to split your drill pay with your supervisors and take off all the time you want......
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 16:00   #9
pm410
Asset

I am NOT NGSF, but I am in the National Guard and a police officer. With any civil service job (fire/police) you can expect to have 12-15 military days per year, usually. Everything past that, you're going to have to either use vacation days, or put in a military leave of absence and not receive dual pay. My unit is currently going on 3 week AT's and drill weekends that consist of 3-4 days every month (no idea why) so I usually just submit my military leave of absence in order to not burn through all of my days off. Also remember, if you get hassled by your first line supervisor at work in regards to your military leave, it's an EEOC violation. Try and remind them of that first before immediately putting pen to paper and burning bridges. Most any police or fire department, big or small, is an old boys club to a certain extent. In regards to deployments - go as long as you want as long as you have orders, you can't be fired. Now, you may be moved in a position (i.e, from homicide back to patrol) but you can't lose rank or your job. Furthermore, make sure you put in for your GI Bill while you go through the police or fire academy. I ended up with a $10k check upon graduation from the post 9/11. Now this is all based on my experience at my PD that I work at, but it's a rather large one (over 2K officers) so most of this info generally applies to other departments and civil service jobs (I know it's all the same for our FD). Good luck on finding the job you want!
pm410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 15:47   #10
rbs262
Quiet Professional

NGSF in CA...

It's totally 'do-able'. I'm in CA with 19th Group and on the civilian side, I'm a Captain with the Fire Department and still maintain my paramedic license. Most public employers are extremely supportive of the military and especially of the SF mission. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
rbs262 is offline   Reply With Quote