Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-26-2006, 21:11   #91
JPH
SF Candidate

As for the water I did some homework, one 5-gallon container cost 15.50 in Missouri.

On respirators, I got the un-opened sales sample from a 3M dealer of a model 6900 full-face mask. I put the 3M 6001 Organic Vapor Cartridge on it. Can’t hurt based on the something is better than nothing plan. However I do not fully understand the capabilities regarding this setup and the threats we are talking about here.

As this is a setup sold for painting in enclosed spaces and other airborne chemical work, I am assuming (yes I know what this dose that why I am asking) that it is ok to don in a chemical spill or chemical factory fire or whatever up wind. Is that correct?

My main question is what level of protection dose this offer when faced with bio/radio… also is there any chemical threats that this would be worthless for?

Here are some links to the 3M page regarding my set up. MSRP is in the $140's, cost is $65 for most dealers, and this can be found on the net, new for about $85 with out much research.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/e...er/output_html

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/ca/e...er/output_html

More importantly than my questions regarding this setup and its protection, where should the average Joe, like myself, start researching this and what should I be researching, what concepts should I understand in order to protect myself and respond to these three threats.

thanks,
JPH
Old 05-26-2006, 22:10   #92
jasonglh
Guerrilla

Speaking of generators I was thinking about lining the bottom of my freezer with gallon jugs of ice to give me more time between generator runs on the freezer. If we go til deer season I can make 2 does into summer sausage and I wont have to worry about refrigeration. Would take lots of crackers to go with those though.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:28   #93
jatx
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh
Speaking of generators I was thinking about lining the bottom of my freezer with gallon jugs of ice to give me more time between generator runs on the freezer. If we go til deer season I can make 2 does into summer sausage and I wont have to worry about refrigeration. Would take lots of crackers to go with those though.
I like the way you think, but won't the ice in the jugs melt just as fast as the frozen meats on top of them? Maybe a better solution would be to further insulate the deep freeze in some way.

Anyone have a thought on what might work best?
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT

Last edited by jatx; 05-27-2006 at 08:31.
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:22   #94
jasonglh
Guerrilla

I was thinking a freezer without power is like a big insulated cooler. Usually what is on top will thaw out first. I was thinking the gallon jugs would act like blocks of ice without the mess. You know in the old days a refrigerator was kept cold by adding a large block of ice in that little door. My garage tends to stay on the cool side so long as you dont open the big door so I was thinking easily spoilage items on the bottom and things like summer sausage on top.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 15:02   #95
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh
I was thinking a freezer without power is like a big insulated cooler. Usually what is on top will thaw out first. I was thinking the gallon jugs would act like blocks of ice without the mess. You know in the old days a refrigerator was kept cold by adding a large block of ice in that little door. My garage tends to stay on the cool side so long as you dont open the big door so I was thinking easily spoilage items on the bottom and things like summer sausage on top.

Sorry, I've been on vacation for the past five days and catching up.

I heard that the freezers on a normal household fridge will stay cool for three days after power is shut off, as long as you're not opening them.
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 21:00   #96
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump
Don't worry about the noise. If you are cooking beef my wife will smell it even if it's 200 miles away.
My wife suggested cooking the meat in a pressure cooker and letting the steam out slowly so that the smell is dissipated over a longer period of time. A pressure cooker also saves fuel and can be rigged to distill seawater.

Pat
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 17:41   #97
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Generator Noise

I know that some units, when they deployed to the field, would bury their generators to cut down on noise. Maybe something like that could be worked.

Lights can be shielded, or at least use a low watt bulb to mask them.
Old 05-31-2006, 17:58   #98
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
I know that some units, when they deployed to the field, would bury their generators to cut down on noise. Maybe something like that could be worked.

Lights can be shielded, or at least use a low watt bulb to mask them.
Won't work here. Our "yard" consists of two 60'x3' dog runs, a 200 sq ft rear deck and a 100 sq ft front garden.

Pat
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:36   #99
mugwump
Area Commander

Brother-in-law found this (he's a boater). Smokin' deal on Honda generators -- no sales tax, shipping included.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...02832&posts=27

1) One HONDA eu1000 Generator - $629.99

2) One HONDA eu2000 Generator with FREE 10ft battery charging cable ($16 value) - $860.99
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:11   #100
Pete
Quiet Professional

Generators and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump
1) One HONDA eu1000 Generator - $629.99
Honda does make a nice generator but are a little steep in price for the Kw's. A standard 5Kw generator can be had most times on sale at Lowe's and Home Depot for between 750.00 - 890.00. May have gone up a bit since last year when I got mine.

Yes they are bigger and make more noise but they will run everything I need on the ground floor. 5 gallon tank, 3 five gallon gas tanks and a 27 gallon gas tank on the truck. That should do me as we eat our way through the frozen stuff.

Neighbors hearing it? Way past time to make friends. Of the 8 houses in my immediate section of the block we have 4 retired Army, 2 Active Army and 2 "others". One of the "others" families does not eat Bar-B-Que.

Pete

Edit to add - Just checked the Lowe's web site - Troy Built 5,500 Kw generator is listed for $699.00 (That's the one I got last year).

Last edited by Pete; 06-02-2006 at 11:50.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 15:51   #101
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Home Depot also gives a military discount if you are looking at a generator there. If the price is the same at both places, that makes the difference for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:53   #102
jatx
Area Commander

VHF Radios

Per this thread, I am looking for a handheld VHF radio to add to my emergency supplies. I know absolutely nothing about radios.

What features should I look for? Are there any specific models you'd recommend?

Thanks very much.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:09   #103
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
Per this thread, I am looking for a handheld VHF radio to add to my emergency supplies. I know absolutely nothing about radios.

Thanks very much.
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58   #104
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx

Thanks very much.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1/howtovhf.htm
Here is a very basic review of handheld civilian marine VHF's. You can read this and then wait for the experts in commo gear to chime in on this subject.

I have an easily removable full size unit on my boat so that I can have the full 25watts of power if I need it. It isn't hard to pull a battery or buy an inverter to power it in your house. It is a line of sight system so the antennae really matters too. I have an 8' ant. which gives 8db gain I think. The newer radios have a built-in linkage to civilian GPS units and have an emerency button that transmits personal info along with your current gps coordinated to the authorities that monitor the frequencies.

A good VHF will give you access to emergency officials (coast guard, etc) as well as a marine operator for phone calls ($$$). Of course, weather and other info besides basic commo with friends is available on these systems too.
Course, I will wait and let the gurus speak.

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 06-03-2006 at 11:19.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 14:49   #105
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Saca, that link doesn't work for me.

"The page cannot be displayed"
Must be "Operater head space and timing", worked fine for me.....