Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 05-11-2006, 20:46   #61
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

New PIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Okay 18C name the below on this munition.

Name the following:
1) Type by function
2) Safety Hazards
3) What weapon fires this warhead.
4) Type and name of Fuze.
5) BIP method?

Okay here's a new PIX to help you out.
Its been more than a week no takers. New PIX too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:01   #62
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

MG - I'm surprised none of the sluggos have taken you up on this one. IIRC it's still pretty common and the Bravos actually get to shoot them. (Everybody better know how - the instructions are printed on the launcher!) Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:17   #63
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 05-11-2006, 21:23   #64
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Roger that.

I'm waiting for the Charlies as well.

If they don't hurry up, I am going to pass Ernie some names for remedial training.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 21:46   #65
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat

Name the following:
1) Type by function
2) Safety Hazards
3) What weapon fires this warhead.
5) BIP method?

OK, First off, I am WAY OUTTA MY LANE HERE!!! I definately fit the Wannabe in the thread title, but here goes:

1: the projectile in the second pic appears to be an 84 mm HEAT round

2:It's UXO, I have no formal instruction, but that means its at least a bit dangerous.

3:AT4 single shot anti-tank weapon

4:appears to be a Point initiating, Base detonating fuze similar to the RPG series of anti-tank weapons. Also, I believe this weapon has a fuze more sensitive to shallow impacts than previous designs

5:I honestly don't know what BIP means

If I am way out of line here, Someone please delete this post and in any event, have a good one.

Good times,
Blake

Last edited by Air.177; 05-11-2006 at 21:49.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26   #66
Jay11
Asset

Last edited by Jay11; 05-13-2006 at 06:59.
Jay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:10   #67
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

18C's and Wannabes, Name This Item

Damn all this waiting in line!! I am going to call Ernie.

BMT
Old 05-12-2006, 06:36   #68
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

I couldn't ID the exact rocket based on memory or looking through the one IED book I received in the course. Looking at the picture I would expect it to have venturis out the rear of the motor if it was a rocket but I don't remember the backside of a AT4 outside of its tube. The picture here is consistent with a picture of a AT4 rocket that I googled. The ejecting fins would also be another indication that is most likely a rocket.

Based on this I would say it would be a Projected munition, Rocket, HEAT. What appears to be a break in the major diameter would indicate a HEAT round.

Fuzing would be PIBD/Lucky.

Safety hazards: Due to the Lucky crystal take into consideration Static and EMR when approaching it. Do not a cast a shadow over the rocket to prevent a possible temperature changed detected by the Lucky crystal. Do not move in front of the rocket due to its HEAT round/shaped charge. Do not move it do the sensitive lucky crystal. HE/FRAG/JET/EJECTION would also apply.

BIP: Because its a HEAT round I would want to take out both the shaped charge and the motor itself. I would prime a block of C4 and place it where the break in the major diameter would cut the C4 block in half. The C4 block would not be touching the rocket but it would be close as possible to ensure destruction of the rocket.

I could really use that refresher course. With Korean out of the way I'll be hitting all my books/notes that I have to get myself back up to speed at least reading wise. Haven't seen or touched a piece of demo for about 9 months.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:36   #69
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You know guys, when it takes an 18A to tell you that is an AT-4 projectile, I have to wonder about the quality of both the 18B and 18C training. The 84mm cartridge consists of a fin assembly with tracer element; a point-initiating, base-detonating, piezoelectric fuze; a warhead body with liner; and a precision-shaped explosive charge.

We were teaching UXO back in the late 80s. You need to pay attention to this particularly given the requirements we have these days for UXO and for munitions destruction. It could save your life to know these things.

This is definitely going to be brought up with Ernie in the very near future.

Good work gtcrispy. Your description, handling procedures and BIP sound good to me. You can be the Junior Engineer Sergeant on my team, anytime. The rest of you guys, drop and start pushing.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-12-2006, 09:21   #70
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
The rest of you guys, drop and start pushing.

TR
x2 - Though you might cut Air.177 some slack. He did ID it and he was honest about the "out of my lane" part. Of course the sledgehammer hints might have helped. Peregrino

BIP = Blow In Place
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42   #71
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
BIP = Blow In Place

Tallyho P, will add that one to my list of Acronyms to know.

AM's training materials are slightly out of date as you may imagine, I believe we are up to "Black Powder and Gun Cotton and their place on the modern Battlefield"

Roger that TR, Knockin em out.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10   #72
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air.177
Roger that TR, Knockin em out.

Good times,
Blake
Blake:

You are not on the PU demonstration team, your guess was pretty good, but are not a member of the target audience questioned.

Peregrino was right, I should have given you due credit, especially as a young civilian taking a shot.

TR

Old 05-13-2006, 16:12   #73
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

About Time

Quote:
Blake:

You are not on the PU demonstration team, your guess was pretty good, but are not a member of the target audience questioned.

Peregrino was right, I should have given you due credit, especially as a young civilian taking a shot.

TR
Blake - Credit is very well do -like TR said especially for a civilian with no formal training. ( I'm geussing) thats some good Googling or ASK or whichever search engine you used.

gtcrispy - Good job on your add ons. Your Safety hazards were especially well stated. Thats the first thing you start to forget. On your BIP -What is the method or better how. Good job on not moving the UXO

Now try teaching a ODA all of them. That why taking that UXO/MINE CD-ROM from the 18C course is so important. Get that SOMRAD book printed out for each of your vehciles or load the TDAs and ORDATA II onto your ODA computers.

BMT -
Quote:
I am going to call Ernie.
Have you made that call yet?? Man that took a long time - and a Civillian had to answer first.
I guess these NEW 18 Charlies are looking for the other guy to put his hand up first. So HE doesn't look like the dummy (@$$).
VG

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 05-13-2006, 16:25   #74
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

training

Quote:
We were teaching UXO back in the late 80s. You need to pay attention to this particularly given the requirements we have these days for UXO and for munitions destruction. It could save your life to know these things.
TR
I remember me and another NCO having to "fight" to get UXO added to the 18C30 CTL during a CTRB. Good thing LTG L was in the seat and that became a hot issue. People wanted to keep it in the ANCOC side of the teaching house. I said, "wait we have 18C (Jr) going to a team with nothing more than knowing about mines." Something is wrong here. They don't get to ANCOC until they are E7s so that will be 2 to 6/8 (18X) years. So they have to institutional training on the subject.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 05-16-2006, 08:09   #75
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Nme this

Okay 18C name the below on this munition.

Name the following:
1) Type by function
2) Safety Hazards
3) What weapon "fires" this warhead.
5) BIP method?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLU-97.jpg (58.0 KB, 414 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS