Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-05-2005, 14:01   #91
Spook
Asset

TR,

I posted my intro in the appropriate place after reading your post. My appologies.

As for my credentials and what I base my opinion on, only the following: served in the Marines, deployed to SW ASIA and ASIA. Being a grunt with the 7th Regiment (our motto, "Prepare to March") enabled me to speak my opinion concerning boots on the ground in a factual matter based on countless ruck runs, humps and everyday use of the same pair for the duration of my years in service to the US. I based my opinion of the matter at hand on my personal experience as do we all...through realtime experiences...sometimmes painful yet always memorable and necesary.

I'm only sorry that I posted here before giving a proper introduction. I hope all members of the forum can overlook my mistake. I look forward to giving my opinion and hearig that of others in this community. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2005, 16:28   #92
Phantom
Asset

Best 'work' boots...

I've been out for a long time so my observations are extremely dated...

I still have a pair of early Hi-Tec's that seemed to last forever (though the second set of soles on them are nearly gone now, and I don't know a magic cobbler up here, like I did back home. They were so good that after my second pair of Hi-Tecs fell apart on me, I actually gave them another chance and bought a third pair that fell apart. That was enough for me. I really wish the 'new' ones had the same quality standards as the original ones.

Rockys are nice, and fit my 13EEE's pretty good, would probably my choice for reliable, nearly trouble free footwear in the field these days, unless Rocky pulls a Hi-Tec on me... Danners not so good, people with more 'normal' feet may have a different experience with them.

Corcorans? Even the "wide" ones are a bit too narrow for me.

The contest for "Best all around boots I ever had" is a bit of a tie between a pair of Redwing 10" Loggers that I had re-dyed black, confortable, sturdy and rucked many a mile in them.... and a pair of good old "Panama sole" USGI Green Jungles that I picked up at Ranger Joes. My jungles went through "Team Spirit", Mountaineering and Rappelling school, ROK Ranger school, many 'monthly' 25-milers, numerous patrols, a flood relief effort, and quite a few PT sessions. Never had a problem. But I don't think Redwing has appropriate tan suede rough side out boots, and I suppose that my favorite jungle's wear would be somewhat restricted these days.

---
Just for fun...

I also had a few pairs of boots hand made when I was in Korea, they all fit perfectly since they traced my overgrown feet to pattern them. I had extra tall jump boots made in leather and patent, as well as a couple of pairs of jungle boots (one pair black one green) made extra tall (10") with flaired padded tops to keep them from cutting into my calves (a common annoyance for me).

I'll also admit that I got a wild hair seeing the endless possibilities offered in Korea and had made what are probably the weirdest two pairs of boots ever, two pairs of patent leather jungles, one otherwise the same as standard USGI and the other with padded "collar" and capped toes.

None of the 'kimchee' boots lasted longer than a year, except the extra tall patent leather jump boots and the 'regular' patent leather jungles, which I actually wore quite a bit (but only in garrison).

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Last edited by Phantom; 12-26-2005 at 16:37.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:04   #93
ABN307
Asset

Anyone remember the old Herman Survivors?
ABN307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 13:24   #94
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABN307
Anyone remember the old Herman Survivors?
Yes, alternated between them, Chips and German Airborne boots.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 22:17   #95
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Got a pair of the Bates M-6 Desert boots a week before Christmas and these things are quite nice. They squeak a bit at first but that quickly went away. They are comfortable and fairly warm. I may buy a pair of the M-('s for waer with BDU/ACUs in the future...

I am looking to get a pair of the Lowa Mountain GTX or the Raichle Yatna IIs (if I can find them around here) in the future to try them out...

The Wellco ICB's are still holding true and havent drawn any undue attention to me here at Student company. Have seen quite a few students wearing the Oakleys here.

Crip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0612.JPG (164.3 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0613.JPG (173.7 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0614.JPG (176.2 KB, 351 views)

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-28-2005 at 09:16. Reason: pics added
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 15:26   #96
HOOT
Asset

Matterhorn

Matterhorn 3000 8" Waterproof Combat Boot, Olive Mojave (Featured Item)
Description: Top Quality Olive Fleshout Leather * 2x2 Denier Cordura Nylon Performance Fabric * Cambrelle Breathable Moisture Wicking Lining * GORE-TEX Breathable Membrane System * Speed Lacing System * Non-Metal Shank * Exclusive Removable DRYZ Ran-Air Cushioned Insert * VIBRAM Sierra Traction Outsole

Dam comfortable boot if you asked me, I deployed, rucked, and they got me through alot, the sole is very cushioning and keeps your feet dry, but everyone has different feet but if your trying to stay within army standard for a better desert boot these are what i suggest, usually around 180$

http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pppppppppp.jpg
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:51   #97
Whatever
Quiet Professional

Raichle Boots are the Heat

I wear Raichle Yatna II (GTX) boots when I can get away with it but end up wearing Belleville boots most of the time.

For trekking and non technical climbing Raichle's are the way to go.

For winter warfare (WET) I use Lowa Civettas and use to use Koflach Viva Softs, both plastic shell boots
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:41   #98
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric
Got a pair of the Bates M-6 Desert boots a week before Christmas and these things are quite nice
Some of the guys Im with over here are wearing these now and are happy with them. The only complaint is the plastic around the area over the achilles tendon and top of the upper get torn up in our vehicles. It would be nice if there was leather there instead.

We have an Lt who has been wearing Oaklys for eight months now that are holding up very well.

BTW, are your ICBs black or desert?

ccrn
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13   #99
HOLLiS
Area Commander

A number of years ago, because of the business I owned I got in to custom boot fitting and custom insoles. I was amazed at how much I did not know and that booting fitting was almost a nonexistent in being done and knowledge. I would say most the problems with boots is Fit (assuming the boot is of quality construction). There is very little information on buying a boot based on fit. While maybe 80% of the people can get buy, the other 20% have issues that range from a easy fix to some major work.

Also I think the industry tries to make really good boots but feet can be very unique as to fit. Even the difference between our left and right foot can cause problems.

Example during the normal stride the foot can change length by more than 2 sizes. The most extreme I saw was 2 1/2 sizes for the left foot and 3 1/2 sizes for the right foot. Some feet can be very uniform with a change less than 1/2 size.

The critical length of the foot is the arch length, Overall length is not critical except for the room for "longer than average" toes.

A sign of a poor fitting boot is blisters, corns, Calluses/hard spots on the foot, toes being over lapped, and a flat heel bottom.

For most people the fix can be very inexpensive, such as buying the boot that best fits their foot, to maybe getting a generic sized insole. For a few it may mean a custom insole and some boot alteration.

BTW I am not in the industry anymore and have nothing to gain. But If you would Like more information, let me know. I can try to write more, or find a good reference on this topic.

Last edited by HOLLiS; 02-15-2006 at 11:16.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52   #100
jbour13
Area Commander

I took a look at the Bates M-6 and M-9 desert boots online, look good. I'm having problems finding them in the DC area for some hands on inspection.
I'm wearing Merrell boots right now and have since my last trip(s) to the sandbox. Not bad for what I do, but I wouldn't recommend them to door kickers. Not too much in the arena of ankle support. They don't really slow you down if you have to run from getting shot .

HOLLiS: great info, additionally, I buy shoes and boots at the very end of the day, especially days when I'm on my feet. Give's them time to expand.

Warrior Mentor hit this in "Get Selected", gave good info for buying running shoes.

I made the mistake of buying running shoes 30 min after getting out of bed (Barracks on Schofield are close to the PX) and suffered on my first run with them. FWIW

Last edited by jbour13; 02-15-2006 at 11:55.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22   #101
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

I have a pair of the Bates M-9s and love 'em. I have worn them with my ACU's, but my CSM thinks they are too "trendy" looking. He doesn't think that they qualify as authorized footwear, due to the way the sole is attached.

I have worn them a lot here in the NM desert, walking thru a lot of cactus. I haven't had a needle get thru them yet. That's not to say I never will. Maybe I have been lucky, but they seem to be quite tough. They are very comfortable.
Old 10-07-2010, 20:28   #102
122418b
Quiet Professional

Warm weather: Broken in Jungle boots.

Cold weather: Ft. Lewis Danners
122418b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:48   #103
KW9598
Quiet Professional

Raichle's

Raichle's, no question. Wore them on everything i did from 92-05...snow, water, sand...you name it

Amat victoria curam
KW9598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 23:11   #104
500 Proof
Asset

Does anyone use the ''Nike SFB''?
500 Proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 18:33   #105
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Merrils-- worn out after three season of elk hunting and packing out three elk. Got them on sale at REI for $40. That's about $13 an elk. Rips through all the way through the fabric right at the rubber toe cover. Very comfortable, light weight and silent boot with adequate ankle support.

Some new advances in Vibram composition are providing a softer and queiter sole for stalking

Got a new pair of Lowa's but heel pocket is too large and slips badly. Both heals blistered to bleeding and two toes nearly done in after six miles of elk hunting. Boot is very hard to get broken in, if it will ever break in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wornout1.jpg (202.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg wornout.jpg (207.6 KB, 163 views)

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote