Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 09-14-2020, 05:53   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

The Chinese Army Flops in India. What Will Xi Do Next? | Opinion

https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-arm...pinion-1531170

It appears India is proving to be a little bit more aggressive that China expected.

In China, "another brutal purge" is coming.

Ruler Xi Jinping, already roiling the Communist Party with a "rectification" campaign and mass persecution of foes, has risked his future with recent high-profile incursions into Indian-controlled territory.

Unfortunately for Xi, he is the "architect" of these aggressive moves into India and his People's Liberation Army (PLA) has unexpectedly flopped........"
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:40   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

This is going to piss off a bunch of World Globalists.

Both Chine and India have large chunks of their economies supporting the transportation, bio-medical, software & electronic industries, internationally. Additionally, they are major World consumers of raw materials and food.

They start a major border war and it will put World leaders in positions of choosing sides.

Not good.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:49   #3
Box
Quiet Professional

China wants people to choose sides.

They actually follow their strategies - American strategy only works one campaign at a time.
This kind of excursion by China is a LOT bigger deal than people think it is.

China is going to drink our milkshake if the democrats are able Joe Biden out of his hat.
...most disturbing is that they can pretty much bank on 190 electoral votes before the first fraudulent ballet is even cast
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:09   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Thankfully, since swearing off U.S. media sources I've actually seen things going on in the world that aren't "Orange man bad" or "Wuhan COVID Dictatorship".

The Galwan Valley where the contact and fighting were initially made was pretty interesting. I believe the noted "hand-to-hand" site was at somewhere around 4300 meters in altitude (That's just over 14,000 feet....)

How many troops do you have that can effectively operate at those altitudes?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Looking at maps I'm don't see what is to gain by China in the area.

The Galwan valley is almost off the maps as far as India is concerned.

1) Is the China move an effort to gain Pakistan favor by vesting Jammu & Chasmire and Ladakh by proxy?

2) Given the areas ethniic & tribal tilt, does consoladation make any sense.

3) Are there mineral/oil assest worth the trouble?

Maps showing ethnicnic movements after partition (1947), areas of conflict and old 'British India' boundary, and current foot print

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 09-14-2020 at 09:51.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

I'm wondering if China really set out to "gain" anything tangible or if they are just 'probing' to see what they can get away with. Its no secret that they are zealously chasing regional and global dominance. If you are just trying to assert regional dominance, you don't always need to gain something - there are times when just being a unrepentant asshole on the global stage is all you need to do to assert that dominance.

Most politics are just the culmination of spoiled rotten little children getting increasingly larger yards to play in - politicians do exactly what little kids do to one another. Show your ass and wait to see what kind of attention you get - mission complete.
If world opinion is tougher than you expected - so be it, at least you know where the 'line' is. If the world is busy watching the USA burn because some cops fucked up a few criminals - well, push a little further next time. Just like children, politicians are always pushing to find out where that red line is...
...Obama had a red line but nobody really gave a fuck.

Lets enjoy a little metaphoric exchange between two high school toughs on cheese burger day at the cafeteria - lets call them Chino and Indy...

-Chino could assert dominance by knocking Indy's lunch on the floor - that makes a mess and may cause other problems.

-Chino could ask politely, "that looks like a tasty burger. Ain't never had one myself. How are they? You mind if I try one of yours?"
then after taking a big sloppy bite of Indy's burger, Chino could ask for a sip of his tasty beverage - and then slurp it dry.
Nope, lets not do that we ALL know how that story ends.

-Chino could just walk up and take one of Indy's french fries; literally eat some of his lunch.

All of them say the same message - I will invade your space as I see fit. In a culture that tends to revolve around the concept of 'saving face' - invading someones space (even shitty space with no apparent value) can cause tensions to rise. Here in the good ole USofA we are right in the middle of a classic shit-show; how many Americans are really paying attention to a simple little border clash.

The USA just this year surpassed China as India number one trade partner. You want to complicate the US election even more?
Start "eating Indy's french fries" and see which candidate blinks.

Joe Biden will be on Winnie Xi Pooh's lap like a fat kid on a cupcake.

China knows it - and they are going to exploit it.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 09-14-2020, 14:01   #7
Airbornelawyer

One thing to keep in mind with China is that while those outside of China see an aggressive state confronting its neighbors, China sees itself as center of the world, surrounded by potential enemies which need to be deterred or neutralized. In some respects, their geopolitical situation is like Prussia/Germany before 1945, where the desire to be strong enough to face all their potential enemies made them a threat to any one or more of those states.

And, as the rise of Germany led to a rapprochement between France and the UK and an alliance between France and Russia, China's rise and actions are forcing many of its neighbors to choose sides, or at least improve relations. I doubt, for example, that Mongolia sent troops to serve in the US-led coalition in Iraq simply out of a commitment to improving world peace.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 19:25   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I'm wondering... et cetera
Damned good post.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:53   #9
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
I'm wondering if China really set out to "gain" anything tangible or if they are just 'probing' to see what they can get away with. Its no secret that they are zealously chasing regional and global dominance. If you are just trying to assert regional dominance, you don't always need to gain something - there are times when just being a unrepentant asshole on the global stage is all you need to do to assert that dominance.

Most politics are just the culmination of spoiled rotten little children getting increasingly larger yards to play in - politicians do exactly what little kids do to one another. Show your ass and wait to see what kind of attention you get - mission complete.
If world opinion is tougher than you expected - so be it, at least you know where the 'line' is. If the world is busy watching the USA burn because some cops fucked up a few criminals - well, push a little further next time. Just like children, politicians are always pushing to find out where that red line is...
...Obama had a red line but nobody really gave a fuck.

Lets enjoy a little metaphoric exchange between two high school toughs on cheese burger day at the cafeteria - lets call them Chino and Indy...

-Chino could assert dominance by knocking Indy's lunch on the floor - that makes a mess and may cause other problems.

-Chino could ask politely, "that looks like a tasty burger. Ain't never had one myself. How are they? You mind if I try one of yours?"
then after taking a big sloppy bite of Indy's burger, Chino could ask for a sip of his tasty beverage - and then slurp it dry.
Nope, lets not do that we ALL know how that story ends.

-Chino could just walk up and take one of Indy's french fries; literally eat some of his lunch.

All of them say the same message - I will invade your space as I see fit. In a culture that tends to revolve around the concept of 'saving face' - invading someones space (even shitty space with no apparent value) can cause tensions to rise. Here in the good ole USofA we are right in the middle of a classic shit-show; how many Americans are really paying attention to a simple little border clash.

The USA just this year surpassed China as India number one trade partner. You want to complicate the US election even more?
Start "eating Indy's french fries" and see which candidate blinks.

Joe Biden will be on Winnie Xi Pooh's lap like a fat kid on a cupcake.

China knows it - and they are going to exploit it.
I'm eagerly waiting for Box's Amazon best seller!

Geopolitics for Dummies: International Relations through the lens of Kindergarten

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 15:56   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
I'm eagerly waiting for Box's Amazon best seller!

Geopolitics for Dummies: International Relations through the lens of Kindergarten
Hope he doesn't limit it to a Kindle version. I know some folks who should get that in hardcopy for Christmas.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:54   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

A Kindle version?

Isn't this a passive aggressive thread that we are using to lash out at the evil nation known as China?

Jeff Bozo's has all of his Kindles made in China - so Amazon and Bozos are in cahoots with China. Amazon - the company that sells everything from peanut butter to gunsmithing tools to edible glitter to "Wolverine-style" meat shredding claws to pickle flavored lip balm to a harness and leash for your pet chicken...
...and now the same company that is WAAAY in the trunk for Chinese commerce is taking the Pentagon to court for giving a cloud computing contract to Microsoft.

A Kindle?
No way bro - none of my intellectual property, proprietary or plagiarized, will ever be made available on an electronic device made by the Chinese. There are enough of my insane conspiratorial lamentations floating around the internet already without compiling them and GIVING them to the evil Chinese empire for them to exploit.

...but thanks for the vote of confidence

Old 09-17-2020, 07:05   #12
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
A Kindle version?

Isn't this a passive aggressive thread that we are using to lash out at the evil nation known as China?

Jeff Bozo's has all of his Kindles made in China - so Amazon and Bozos are in cahoots with China. Amazon - the company that sells everything from peanut butter to gunsmithing tools to edible glitter to "Wolverine-style" meat shredding claws to pickle flavored lip balm to a harness and leash for your pet chicken...
...and now the same company that is WAAAY in the trunk for Chinese commerce is taking the Pentagon to court for giving a cloud computing contract to Microsoft.

A Kindle?
No way bro - none of my intellectual property, proprietary or plagiarized, will ever be made available on an electronic device made by the Chinese. There are enough of my insane conspiratorial lamentations floating around the internet already without compiling them and GIVING them to the evil Chinese empire for them to exploit.

...but thanks for the vote of confidence
By the way.. .those are Chinese "Vocational Training Centers" You know, like the VoTech in High School where kids learned how to tune-up small engines and run a metal lathe (back when we actually manufactured stuff in "Merica")

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote