Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 01-06-2007, 14:55   #31
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut783
NousDefionsDoc,

I have been using the eotech on SWAT for a couple of years now. I like em and personally find them quick in CQB situations. I have not played with the aimpoint very much, but when I did the field of view seemed smaller than the eotech overall....tube versus tubeless, I guess.

I plan on taking my eotech and borrowing an aimpoint to take to my unit so everyone can get some hands on with them, including me.

My unit has no optics at this time and have been given the go ahead to purchase some. So we will be taking the matter seriously and doing some good T&E on both.
Just so you know I didn't want an Aimpoint until they introduced the 2MOA dot. Don't even mess with the 4MOA Aimpoint, go straight to the 2MOA.
What I have not done is fire the 2MOA at night, but I have little doubt it will work fine in that situation.

TS
Old 01-06-2007, 19:57   #32
C0B2A
Quiet Professional

Thank you Sir for all this information. Spent about 3 hours going from section to section googling everything you said just so I could fully understand what you were talking about. Again thank you.
~c0b2a
Old 02-21-2007, 20:26   #33
chuterigger
BANNED USER

Thank you for sharing sir!
chuterigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:58   #34
Sionnach
Guerrilla

Thanks for the fantastic information in this thread, TR. Thanks to your great information, I have two RRA AR's en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Lasers

Lasers are cool, if you have a PAQ or PEQ and are using NODs. If not, I really don’t see why you need a laser to point out you to your target, and his friends.
I can see a visible laser being useful in only one situation--defending your family from a stealthy intruder.

Given the choice, I'd rather not have to shoot Mr. Burglar. Thanks to Hollywood, a red dot on someones chest has a powerful psychological impact. Unless Mr. Burglar is high on narcotics or alcohol, the red dot may be enough to convince him to lie on the floor waiting on the police, or convince him to expeditiously exit the premises.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:28   #35
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionnach
Given the choice, I'd rather not have to shoot Mr. Burglar. Thanks to Hollywood, a red dot on someones chest has a powerful psychological impact. Unless Mr. Burglar is high on narcotics or alcohol, the red dot may be enough to convince him to lie on the floor waiting on the police, or convince him to expeditiously exit the premises.
If I am carrying a gun to investigate someone that has already broken the law by breaking into my house in the middle of the night, deterrance through scaring with a laser is not why I have the gun.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48   #36
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Exactly.

If you are pointing a firearm, you have chosen to use deadly force.

If you are not justfied in shooting him, then you should not be pointing the weapon at him.

Using lasers and unloaded weapons to "scare" or "convince" someone are a bad practice.

Legal matters and tactics should be discussed on another thread. This one is about hardware.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 22:46   #37
gits
Quiet Professional

Sir, what is your opinion regarding the Larue Vtac Sling or Vtac style of sling compared to the Vickers sling?
gits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 22:50   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

And how about a little lesson on cleaning and lubing, etc.?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 23:58   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gits
Sir, what is your opinion regarding the Larue Vtac Sling or Vtac style of sling compared to the Vickers sling?
I have an older VTAC sling. The maker is a buddy of mine, and Mark LaRue is as well, but I have decided to go with the two point Vickers sling. Other than the cost, I have few issues with it.

TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
And how about a little lesson on cleaning and lubing, etc.?
I'll get right on that. There is a lot of great cleaning advice on the net, but it is mixed with some absolute BS.

Biggest deal with cleaning and lubing is knowing what has to be clean or lubed, and doing it. We spend too much time screwing around and trying to get the last speck of carbon off areas that do not have to be clean. We also fail to lube stuff that needs to be and vice versa, as well as using the wrong lube for the part and environment. If the parts rub against one another, they need to be clean.

With issue weapons, almost any part that is shiny is a contact surface and needs lube. I use MILITEC oil and and TWB-25 grease. I run my guns pretty wet unless it is dusty or extremely cold.

Cleaning supplies are a matter of personal preference, but I love the carbon dissolving and bore cleaning of the KG products. I carry Otis kits in the field (plus the issue sectioned rod) and use high-end match type stuff at home.

Hope that works in the short term.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 18:54   #40
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I have been using the eotech on SWAT for a couple of years now. I like em and personally find them quick in CQB situations. I have not played with the aimpoint very much, but when I did the field of view seemed smaller than the eotech overall....tube versus tubeless, I guess.
I only got an EOTEC after I retired, for my personal Weapon. Unlike the Aimpoint I only used an EOTEC running and gunning on a Flat Range. Shot it a lot but never used it for CQB. The only thing I liked about it more then the AP. Better perrifial vision. I'm not looking thru a tube. When comparing the two the ability to see around you is the advantage I hear most about the EOTEC over the AP. Everything else is personal preference, for the most part.
Here is a question. Couple of people told me that this is the main purpose for the EOTEC's reticle instead of a single dot, never tried it. If you zero the EOTEC at a 100M, center dot is point of aim point of impact. The bottom tic mark in the reticle is point of aim point of impact around 200M. The top tic mark in the reticle is point of aim point of impact around 25M and under (CQB)
Good feature if true, I never found any documentation about this from EOTEC.
Old 04-07-2007, 19:26   #41
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz
Couple of people told me that this is the main purpose for the EOTEC's reticle instead of a single dot, never tried it. If you zero the EOTEC at a 100M, center dot is point of aim point of impact. The bottom tic mark in the reticle is point of aim point of impact around 200M. The top tic mark in the reticle is point of aim point of impact around 25M and under (CQB) Good feature if true, I never found any documentation about this from EOTEC.
KG:

I don't think so. The circle on the EOTech is sixty minutes I believe.

The circle has a number of uses but probably the most common concerns speed in bringing the eye to the dot and centering a target. The eye will get to the dot and center the target faster with that circle as the circle gives the brain a reference from which to judge a number of physical things. Target movement and speed is a major one. Even if the shooter does not know how big the circle is, it remains a fixed reference in his mind.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 14:38   #42
Gerbermk2
BANNED USER

I like to keep my weapons simple, Reapers "right tool for the job" is a really good analogy.
Gerbermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 17:49   #43
yasnevo
Asset

If I may add a little experice I have with EoTechs vs Aimpoints.

With the EoTech, I find that my eye goes to the outside ring first, then to the dot in the center next. So, compared to using Aimpoints, using an EoTech for me is a wee bit slower...

Shooting at distance with an EoTech, 200 yards/meters and beyond, I tend to build a lead fence around my target, meaning... lots of near misses, but not many solid hits.

Lastly, with the way that the circle and the dot appears to me... it looks almost like its a mirrage... it looks wavey to me. I hope that you understand what I am meaning.

I prefer the Aimpoint... I have more than one, I think that the x3 power mangifier on a Larue mount will only serve to make an already awesome weapon sight even better.

With that said... knowing my particular limitations with the EoTech, I can work around them.

This is an awesome thread...

Yancey

Last edited by yasnevo; 10-20-2007 at 18:02.
yasnevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55   #44
Firearmz
Asset

I too suffer bad hits at 200 with the EO Tech, but in CQB I really like it. I do mostly civilian and LE Training and most of you already know that a lot of civilians attend training for one of two reasons, they are living a dream that never came about or they are serious about personal protection. Those that are living the dream want to turn a light weight carbine into a 15 pound rock. They want to add every thing imaginable to the fore end of the M4. I am a keep it simple and chose the appropriate weapon for your task kind of guy. Great post, I enjoyed reading it.
Firearmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 23:28   #45
Bracholi
Auxiliary

Thank you for writing this primer, it was well written. While I can't really use it yet I plan to use this guide when I do decide to build my carbine. You should write some more .
Bracholi is offline   Reply With Quote