Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-26-2019, 09:10   #1
Box
Quiet Professional

"Cowboy Knives"

Last summer I jumped into the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS). Part of the enjoyment is the 'costuming' nature of the competition. Overall, CAS is like modern day 3-gun competition but without the steroid rage and scary black firearms.

I am looking for some a decent period-correct knife that will fit on a 2 1/2 or 3 inch leather pistol belt and a decent period-correct leather sheath but I don't really know anything about "knives" that extends past what tools are useful on a Leatherman or how to keep a modern hunting/skinner sharp and clean.

What is a good starting spot for a decent Old West cowboy knife?
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07   #2
RCummings
Guerrilla

Box, Depending on your outfit, Green River Knives may fit the bill. Finding a butcher knife you like would only require a sheath being made. Good luck!

Respectfully,

Bob
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:12   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Utah Bob is into CSA.
Need to poke him up some..

Don't forget a folder. Look for "equestrian" or one with a hoof hook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case.JPG (13.2 KB, 21 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:32   #4
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Some guys favor a bigass Bowie just for style points but I think they get in the way. I prefer this one a fella in Maine made for me out of an old saw blade. It's got a 6 1\2" blade and comes in handy for cutting patches, leather and for removing the occasional stuck cartridge case.
here are several vendors that handle knives like Dixie Gun Works https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...s+%26+Sheaths/
and Track of the Wolf https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=knife

And go here for fun.
http://sassvets.homestead.com/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20190326_12_19_49_Pro.jpg (66.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20190326_12_20_16_Pro.jpg (64.1 KB, 59 views)
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:57   #5
Box
Quiet Professional

removing the occasional stuck cartridge case - that is the utility I am looking for - with whatever possible style points I can collect along the way
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 03-26-2019, 13:14   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

most of the cowboys here in NM and AZ either carry a big ass Bowie or utility knives like the Green River's here is a photo of the most common. Go to Tandy and get some leather and you are setup in 30 min.

green river.jpg
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 15:15   #7
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
most of the cowboys here in NM and AZ either carry a big ass Bowie or utility knives like the Green River's here is a photo of the most common. Go to Tandy and get some leather and you are setup in 30 min.

Attachment 35679

Looking tghrough those knives, I'm sure he'd be really popular with the crowd if he came moseying in and proudly stated, "Considering all of my options out there, I decided to buy a 6-inch Stiff Boner from my local guy!" (Let alone going for the 8" wide boner!!!)
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:17   #8
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Looking tghrough those knives, I'm sure he'd be really popular with the crowd if he came moseying in and proudly stated, "Considering all of my options out there, I decided to buy a 6-inch Stiff Boner from my local guy!" (Let alone going for the 8" wide boner!!!)

Easy now, no need to go overboard with the boasting.......
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:16   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post

Attachment 35679
As previously noted, you'll probably have to make your own sheath if you want something "authentic". The best local leather source for us is Zack White's in Ramseur (https://www.zackwhite.com/). If you have any interest in leather work, it's well worth the one hour (+/-) drive. Saturdays before noon or training holidays work best with our schedules. You might have to exercise restraint when you get there given the options available - patterns and materials for everything from the afore mentioned knife sheaths to chaps, gauntlets, gun belts, holsters, etc., etc. They've even been known to stock genuine rawhide lariats.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:40   #10
Box
Quiet Professional

The skinner is along the lines of what I'd like. Just enough to use as a cowboy accessory - but still useful as a skinner. Bowie knives are to bulky for what I need and I wouldnt know what to do with an 8' boner if I had one. I'd probably just hurt myself playing with it.

I do like those green river knives - thanks for the heads up.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:39   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
The skinner is along the lines of what I'd like. Just enough to use as a cowboy accessory - but still useful as a skinner. Bowie knives are to bulky for what I need and I wouldnt know what to do with an 8' boner if I had one. I'd probably just hurt myself playing with it.

I do like those green river knives - thanks for the heads up.
Contact "Barbarian" from this site. Every knife he's made for me were precisely what I asked for, and didn't break the bank.👌
Old 03-28-2019, 05:53   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

A friend who's been shooting SASS for many years has one whose configuration is exactly that 5-1/4" skinner shown above. I don't shoot SASS but have a knife like that anyway. It's shown itself to be really useful for a variety of tasks, and short enough not to be in the way.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:59   #13
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Box

Check your PMs
Old 03-28-2019, 07:24   #14
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Google is your friend. Image search, cowboy knives 1880's. Lots of fellow period gun builders, knife makers, and friends @contemporarylongrifleassociation.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Box
If you want you can have my skinner. It has patina and a history. I made the sheath in 74. It has seen some use and skinned a lot of deer, elk, etc.

It just gathering dust on the shelf now and could use a good home.

Let me know......

knife.jpg