Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 06-04-2017, 14:52   #1
HaveBlue
Auxiliary

Spartan Blades Wins Again @ Blade!

2017 American Made Knife of the Year® – Spartan Blades Kranos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large.jpg (80.3 KB, 219 views)
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 16:24   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulation to Curtis and the gang at Spartan Blades..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 20:43   #3
Sohei
Area Commander

Congratulations for a job well-done!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:17   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Well done, Mark and Curtis!

Always great to see SF brothers doing well.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 13:17   #5
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

They earned it. And they're wonderful human beings, too.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10   #6
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Well done Spartan Blades!

the kids, they grow up so fast
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26   #7
mcarey
Quiet Professional

Thank You! We try hard and have been blessed!
mcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 13:27   #8
mcarey
Quiet Professional

Kranos Another couple pictures

Some nice pics of a plain Ti with Carbon Fiber from Mr. Pittman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kranos 1 Small.jpg (29.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Kranos Two Small.jpg (30.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 19:18   #9
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarey View Post
Thank You! We try hard and have been blessed!
What do you guys think about Bainite L6 steel? I've a Katana made in that, and altho not traditional, appears to be an excellent cutter of hard materials and keeps a razor edge.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12   #10
mcarey
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
What do you guys think about Bainite L6 steel? I've a Katana made in that, and altho not traditional, appears to be an excellent cutter of hard materials and keeps a razor edge.
Sorry but I am not familiar with the steel.

I looked up specs and it should is a tool steel (so not heavy on chrome (SS). Looks like great impact toughness, but I imagine from its specs it will not hold an edge for too long, but should resharpen easily. The heat treat band is very narrow, so that with proper quench will be critical. The temper and optional cryo treatment are key to getting the best performance from this steel by the specs. Be sure an keep is clean and lightly oiled when in storage.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:56   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulation to Mark and Curtis..

Quote:

Local Knife Maker Named Best in the U.S. — Again,,
LAURA DOUGLASS, Jul 5, 2017 Updated 16 hrs ago

Named for the Greek word for helmet, the Kranos folder began building buzz immediately at the International Blade Show in Atlanta, Ga.

“We took 30 to the show and entered one for the awards,” said Curtis Iovito, cofounder of Spartan Blades, a small knife manufacturing business located in Southern Pines. “We sold everything and the last one was in Mark’s pocket. We sold that one too!”

Sponsored by Blade magazine, the annual knife show brings together industry professionals, small and large manufacturers, custom builders, and collectors to view the newest knives on the market. Last year Spartan Blades won the coveted American Made Knife of the Year award for its Spartan-Harsey folder, or SHF, a collaboration between iconic knife maker and designer, William W. Harsey, Jr. and Spartan Blades.

This year the company did it again: the Kranos was recognized as the best knife made in the United States, an award voted on by Spartan’s competitors and peers.

“We were looking to improve on what we did last year,” Iovito said.

link:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis_Mark_Spartan_Blades.jpg (81.0 KB, 63 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 18:30   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Awesome!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58   #13
CSB
Quiet Professional

I realize the answer is "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"
but ...
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 14:50   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarey View Post
Sorry but I am not familiar with the steel.

I looked up specs and it should is a tool steel (so not heavy on chrome (SS). Looks like great impact toughness, but I imagine from its specs it will not hold an edge for too long, but should resharpen easily. The heat treat band is very narrow, so that with proper quench will be critical. The temper and optional cryo treatment are key to getting the best performance from this steel by the specs. Be sure an keep is clean and lightly oiled when in storage.
Thanks....it holds a great edge, one of its key properties along with flexability/ability to absorb impact. There are 3 Rockwell properties in the blade and with the proper quenching a martensite cutting edge. The maker demonstrates his blade chopping a 2/4 in half and then immediately cutting a piece of paper slowly.
The issue is it is difficult to work to get the proper hardness etc. and is expensive for a large blade.
I like it's impact absorption due to the different materials one can practice cut...Ive only made about 35 cuts so far on rolled 6" tatami but the edge is still razor sharp.

Sorry for the mis direct and congrats on your continued success
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:30   #15
tunanut
Guerrilla

Congrats Mark, Curtis, and company, beautiful knife. Ya'll have come a long ways from the woodshed days. You probably don't remember our visit, I picked up a folder for my son who was just named to the NC Zone swim team and I wanted to get him something special for the work he had put in. Thanks for inspiring my son to continue to work hard and customising his blade into something special for him. You guys were an outstand voice in his ear. It's with him in Blacksburg now, training for ACC champs has already started for the VT swim team. Thanks again and congrats on the award.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130724_184310_zpsa7e61240.jpg (73.5 KB, 49 views)
tunanut is offline   Reply With Quote