Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 06-15-2015, 13:48   #1
kpdarnell
Asset

Found Yarborough

In October 2014 I worked a meth lab in Clarksville TN and recovered a Yarborough Knife.

The knife has had the serial number obliterated.
I have checked every crime report in the area and pawn tickets and there has not been a Yarborough Knife reported stolen or pawned. Since this knife has not been used in a violent crime and is not a firearm I cannot get our lab to raise the serial number.

I have come here to ask if anyone knows of a Yarborough Knife that was stolen in the FTCKY area sometime in 2014?
kpdarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:52   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdarnell View Post
I have come here to ask if anyone knows of a Yarborough Knife that was stolen in the FTCKY area sometime in 2014?
1st, Thanks for thinking of us..

Tracking them is problematic as the records are not easily accessible.

Serialized knives show up on ebay and at pawn shops for several reasons.
  • troop needs the money
  • divorce
  • lost on FTX, rotation, or card game
  • X-GF steals everything
  • what ever...

Personally, I don't think a knife with a destroyed serial has much collector value.

BUT

I would suggest that a raffle could be established with the proceeds going to the Green Beret Foundation.

Can you get some pictures?
Is the sheath available?

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:28   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I believe he would like to return the stolen knife to its owner, not make a profit off it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:19   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I spoke with him, they'd like to ID the knife and ID the individual that it was stolen from and its in very bad shape.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30   #5
kpdarnell
Asset

Yes, my goal here is to find the rightful owner. Not make any kind of profit off this knife.

It is still in evidence and the case is still pending but it will be wrapping up soon.

There was no sheath recovered with the knife.

I am limiting who has access to the pictures right now in case the rightful owner can step up and tell me about some unique marks on the knife. If I post the pictures everywhere right now then that gets taken away.

I know there are lots of reasons this knife could have been separated from its owner. Some good, some bad. I am hoping for the good outcome.

I have received several offers of assistance including a possible means of raising the serial number. The serial number will at least give us a much better chance of finding the owner.

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by kpdarnell; 06-16-2015 at 08:34.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:43   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

If you can recover the SN, we can find out who the knife was issued to.

There may be some sentimental value to the owner, even if it is defaced.

Anyone in 5th Group lose a Yarborough, but not reported it yet?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:17   #7
CSB
Quiet Professional

Hey Kyle.

The owner might be OCONUS and not even know it's been stolen. We had more than a few storage lockers broken into last year, the vultures seem to know when the owners will be away for a long while. My most recent case was an inside job, managers husband taking her all access key and helping himself to property.

Any chance meth head might give up some information?

You know me as CB (the PD).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59   #8
kpdarnell
Asset

Unfortunately no one is talking about where this knife came from.

I honestly would be surprised if they remembered. Most labs I work have dozens of knives in them. I worked one recently that had close to 100 knives in it.

Meth cooks and users love knives. They have just always been cheap folders or really cheap flea market fixed blades before. They don't hold a special place for people in the meth world other than knives are just something cool to have around. Kind of like paint pens to decorate things with. They love those as well.
Old 06-16-2015, 15:53   #9
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I think you will have a great deal of difficulty raising the S/N!! Those are Milled in and not Stamped like a Firearm. I don't believe that there would be any Shadowing from the Milling Process.

Later
Martin
Old 06-16-2015, 19:01   #10
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
I think you will have a great deal of difficulty raising the S/N!! Those are Milled in and not Stamped like a Firearm. I don't believe that there would be any Shadowing from the Milling Process.

Later
Martin
Only way to find out is to try to do it!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Someone find a private lab that Professionalsoldiers.com can pay to lift the serial number. Then message me.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:49   #12
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post

Later
Martin
Martin,
That's what I was thinking and the carbide cutters used to do this are very sharp thus minimal work hardening stress under the mark which is what a chemical etch depends on.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 18:56   #13
sneakypete314
Quiet Professional

Stolen Yarborough

Fellas,
I am on here tonight to post for my uncle. i know this is a long shot. In 2006 he was deployed and his X wife stole and sold his knife. I know about the replacement program at SWC, however we were hoping someone has seen 1415 in passing.
thanks fellas enjoy your holidays.
sneakypete314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:10   #14
kpdarnell
Asset

I am back.

The case is pretty much completed so now comes more questions.

Has anybody here had any luck in finding a private lab to try and raise the serial number? I am guessing no, since I haven't been contacted in awhile now.

If I can't get the serial number lifted and the knife returned to a rightful owner then I intend to clean the knife up, sharpen it, get a sheath, sign it out from evidence and use it at work.

My concern is the spot where the serial number was has been ground down pretty deep. It may have substantially weakened the blade.

Does anybody have another idea in locating the owner or an heir?
Old 10-11-2016, 19:23   #15
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdarnell View Post
I am back.

The case is pretty much completed so now comes more questions.

Has anybody here had any luck in finding a private lab to try and raise the serial number? I am guessing no, since I haven't been contacted in awhile now.

If I can't get the serial number lifted and the knife returned to a rightful owner then I intend to clean the knife up, sharpen it, get a sheath, sign it out from evidence and use it at work.

My concern is the spot where the serial number was has been ground down pretty deep. It may have substantially weakened the blade.

Does anybody have another idea in locating the owner or an heir?
Can't speak to the question of finding the original owner; however, I can assure you that simply grinding out the SN hasn't substantially weakened the blade. Mr. Harsey will be happy to extol the virtues of the steel used in the knife; he might even be able to point you at a source for the correct sheath. You've exercised due diligence (more than most in any event) so I personally can't see anything wrong with salvaging the knife and putting it back to work. It certainly doesn't deserve to be sent to the chopper/smelter like the usual detritus found in an evidence room. MOO - some of the other guys may be along shortly to add their .02.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote