Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01   #16
x SF med
Quiet Professional

DJ-
My evil plan is to visit the Logger this weekend bearing gifts (ok, I'm late on Christmas) and possibly Colorado Pain Relief, since he is gearing up for SHOT... a short visit, but I will tell him, after an adult libation or three has been consumed.

Please send me a smatchet, c/o Harsey, knifemaker - any discount for Mr. Harsey paying the invoice would be appreciated. Um, maybe just the discount and send the invoice to me... I don't want Mrs. Harsey killing either of us, scenario 1 leaves that as a viable option for her...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 13:27   #17
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

DJ, I totally agree with JJ,...................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 14:20   #18
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Very kind of you all, and I really appreciate it.

SF-TX: Thanks for the link postage. I didn't want to do it myself and breach protocol.

x SF med: I have this list of people not to fuck with, and lumberjacks and wives of lumberjacks are right up near the top. Also, guys with the intestinal fortitude to do what you do. So if you want me to make you something, don't worry - I'll take good care of you.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:42   #19
Kit Carson
Asset

Mighty fine looking knives, DJ. Keep up the great work.
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 19:23   #20
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

It is rare to see a maker with that wide a variety of blade shapes.

Smatchets, tantos, 'hawks, even bayonet profiles. Something there for everyone.

Nice work, DJ!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:39   #21
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post

NousDefionsDoc: Man, I about fell over when I answered the phone and heard "Hi DJ, this is Bill Harsey." If you're a knifemaker, that's like getting a call from the Pope. And he's one of the nicest guys ever. Really made my day.

[B]

ain't that the truth

I remember talking to Bill for the first time

it was like, "holy crap here's a guy that I've read about and admired for years and he's calling ME?"

then I realized that made him sound Old and we started having an argument about who was the biggest redneck

welcome to Professional Soldiers DJ
Ken Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 20:53   #22
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med View Post
DJ-
My evil plan is to visit the Logger this weekend bearing gifts (ok, I'm late on Christmas) and possibly Colorado Pain Relief, since he is gearing up for SHOT... a short visit, but I will tell him, after an adult libation or three has been consumed.

Please send me a smatchet, c/o Harsey, knifemaker - any discount for Mr. Harsey paying the invoice would be appreciated. Um, maybe just the discount and send the invoice to me... I don't want Mrs. Harsey killing either of us, scenario 1 leaves that as a viable option for her...
I need to remember to bring Junior his band-aids for SHOT ...hehehehe

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Very kind of you all, and I really appreciate it.

x SF med: I have this list of people not to fuck with, and lumberjacks and wives of lumberjacks are right up near the top. Also, guys with the intestinal fortitude to do what you do. So if you want me to make you something, don't worry - I'll take good care of you.
We're not kind, we want free knives.
I'm more scared of MRS H than I am of Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brock View Post
ain't that the truth

I remember talking to Bill for the first time

it was like, "holy crap here's a guy that I've read about and admired for years and he's calling ME?"

then I realized that made him sound Old and we started having an argument about who was the biggest redneck

welcome to Professional Soldiers DJ
the first phone call I got from Mr Bill (Oh, NO!!!) was beer fueled and in the company of a machinist, on a Friday afternoon... It began: " Hey, we started early, grab a beer...." and went downhill from there... I know what you mean Ken, "why is Bill Harsey calling me?" Now he makes me load, unload and stack wood when I visit...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
Old 01-08-2010, 14:03   #23
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks guys.

Kit: Well, you're one of the people I have to thank for that. I really appreciate the notes you gave me at Blade '09. Like I said, just that one detail you pointed out about breaking the corners on my handles has really improved them. Looking forward to seeing you again this year at the big show.

The Reaper: Thanks! I've found that always trying to do new and different stuff helps me push the envelope, improve my skills, and keeps things fresh and interesting. At current count, my design book must have something like 1500+ sketches in it, and there's still stuff in there that I'm not comfortable attempting even four years later. Also, doing 20 of the same knife all at once can get really tedious, so the variety helps break things up.

Ken: LOL! I feel ya. That's one of the coolest things about what we do - we actually get to talk with most of the superstars in our industry. It's extremely unlikely that I'd be operating at the level I'm at as a maker were it not for how approachable and generous the legendary guys were (and still are) with me when I was finding my feet. Oh, and I really dig your work, man. Your grinds are really clean.

x SF med: "We're not kind, we want free knives." The true picture emerges.

On Mrs. H, I suspect just like in the rest of nature, it's a case of the female being the deadlier of the species. And if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. At least that's how it works at my house!

You know, you can't walk into a knifemaker's shop without getting dirty. If you come over here, I'll probably put you to work too! But there will also be beer afterward. And we've got some excellent brew here.
Old 01-08-2010, 19:57   #24
x SF med
Quiet Professional

DJ - honesty is the best policy, If you know what I want (free knives) we have a place to begin negotiating and you already know I'm a miser ... ask Bill, he makes me buy the beer (which I gladly oblige, as long as he scrathes on my knives with that whirly thingy ... the scratches look suspiciously kinda like his name, hard to really tell after a beer or two)

Next time I'm in the plains, I will look you up... possibly bearing barley pop.

Old 01-12-2010, 17:17   #25
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

Great looking knives. Definitely bookmarking for the future.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34   #26
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

x SF med: I concur. You are welcome here anytime, buddy. And while offerings are always welcome in this house, I'll provide the barley pop!

gtcrispy: Thanks! Glad you like.

And now, some pics of the big stupid batch I'm working on. Click links to view pics, I'd rather you suck up my bandwidth than that of the forum.

Last pic, all heat treated, re-re-straightened, and ready for finishing.

Rest of pics, all ground, ready for tang hole drilling and then into the fire they go!

http://www.americankami.com/USNAKwip08jun11a.jpg

http://www.americankami.com/USNAK15jun11wip.jpg

http://www.americankami.com/USNAK17jun11wip.jpg

http://www.americankami.com/USNAKwip30jun11.jpg

http://www.americankami.com/bench1.jpg
Old 06-30-2011, 15:37   #27
MVP
Quiet Professional

Smatchet

DJ,

Love the MIGS-CS design, carried a smatchet for many years and think your design is a real update. Will you introduce a larger version more in line with the originals for those of us with the "little d**k, big knife" requirement?

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 16:21   #28
wet dog

Quote:
Some nice jungle fighters, they look great!

WD
Old 06-30-2011, 20:22   #29
CRUSADERSTEEL
Quiet Professional

DJ... When you going to make some more folders?! If you have any pics of some of the ones you took to ... I think it was the SHOT show, post em.. some of the nicest folders I have ever seen! Cant wait to get my Migs OG! As a matter of fact you and I need to talk about one of those off line.
CRUSADERSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 20:45   #30
Paslode
Area Commander

Other than liking them sharp I ain't much of a blade guy, but damn that is some good looking stuff! And the Hawks I dunno what to say, except I want one.