Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 03-14-2009, 03:32   #1
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Yarborough knife again available for purchase by qualified Special Forces Soldiers

RELEASE NUMBER: 090313-01
DATE POSTED: MARCH 13 2009

Yarborough knife again available for purchase by qualified Special Forces Soldiers
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, March 13, 2009) - Seasoned Green Berets are once again able to purchase a tangible, and serial numbered, connection to the Special Forces regiment.

Yarborough knife
Soldiers graduating from the Special Forces Qualification Course have been presented a Green Beret, and as part of a tradition since August 2002, a knife. Not just any knife, but the Yarborough knife, a combat field knife specifically designed by renowned knife maker William Harsey – which serves as a link to the brotherhood of unconventional warriors.

Beginning March 15, current and former Soldiers who can prove their membership in the Special Forces Regiment will be able to once again buy their Yarborough knife through the JFK Special Warfare museum here.

“We are thrilled that we can again provide our brothers in the Special Forces Regiment the ability to purchase the Yarborough knife,” said Maj. Gen. Thomas R. Csrnko, John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School commander. “This isn’t just a well-made knife; it’s an outward expression of the uniqueness of being a Green Beret and the warrior-spirit that we embody.”

The new batch of knives will start with serial number SF-0001.

Lt. Gen. Bryan D. Brown, then commander of the U.S. Army Special Operations Command originated the idea in 2002, naming the knife for Lt. Gen. William P. Yarborough , the “father of modern Special Forces.” Yarborough championed the need for a knife that would continue the tradition of Special Operations units using, and being identified with, effective edged weapons. In World War II, the First Special Service Force, a joint American-Canadian unit, was equipped with the V-42 knife and the Office of Strategic Services, the forerunner to Special Forces and the Central Intelligence Agency, made use of the Fairbairn-Sykes knife.

Made by Chris Reeve Knives of Boise, Idaho, the serial-numbered Yarborough knife is available for purchase only by qualified members of the Special Forces Regiment including active duty, reserve, National Guard, honorably separated or retirees.

Requests for authorization to purchase the knife should be addressed to Commander, USAJFKSWCS, ATTN: AOJK-CS-Y (Yarborough Knife), Fort Bragg, NC 28310 or can be dropped off at drop boxes located at JFK Museum or Bryant Hall lobby. Applications can also be faxed to 910-432-4062 or emailed to yarboroughknife@soc.mil.

Each request must be accompanied by a copy of photo identification and at least one of the following qualifying documents:

Copy of orders awarding an 18 series military occupational specialty
Copy of orders awarding the Special Forces Tab
Copy of diploma indicating successful graduation from the Special Forces Qualification Course
Copy of orders or an affidavit establishing successful completion of standard or nonstandard training or former wartime service for which a retroactive award of the Special Forces Tab would be authorized
Copy of Special Forces Association membership card showing they are a Decade or a General member in good standing
Copy of an Enlisted Records Brief or Officer Records Brief annotating the awarding of the Special Forces Tab
Copy of DD214 showing service, and, after 1952, the qualifying suffix of (3) or (S).
When a request has been verified, a letter of approval will be sent to the requestor noting the total purchase price, including the cost for shipping. The letter of approval must then be mailed, with payment, to the JFK Special Warfare Museum gift shop at PO Box 70060, Fort Bragg, N.C., 28307. The Yarborough knife will then be mailed within 4-6 weeks via certified mail.

Requests from Family members or estates of deceased, qualified Special Forces Regiment members who can prove their Soldier’s qualification will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Special Forces Soldiers who have been previously issued the knife as a result of graduating the SFQC, have already purchased a knife under the previous resale program, or those who have had their Special Forces Tab revoked, are not eligible to purchase the knife.

A version of the Yarborough knife, marketed as the ‘Green Beret’, is available for purchase by the general public.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:35   #2
bobby efurd
Quiet Professional

I mailed all my paperwork in to the SWC this past week.
Will give an update when I receive my authorization.
bobby efurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11   #3
Oldschool45B
Auxiliary

Would there be an issue buying one for a friend who qualifies? His wife can get me a copy of his DD214 from our deployment for verification. Also, I know it is a working knife but does the blade coating take to laser engraving nicely?

TIA!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:31   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Anyone notice a price?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:46   #5
bobby efurd
Quiet Professional

My understanding is that upon authorization the total price will be included in the packet. The SF museum is handling the transaction. For to six weeks del. time.
The SFA web site has a little more info.
Bobby
bobby efurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:56   #6
HQ6
Guerrilla

I spoke to the gift shop, and it is about $274 plus shipping if applicable. Shipping was about $30. The clerk couldn't find the sheet to give me the exact total, but that was it give or take a dollar.

ETA this is the correct number for the shop: 910-436-2366. The one in the article is the fax number.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:17   #7
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

For any of you that want to leave the "Y" in the Safe/Closet, I'm a Chris Reeve Dealer and can get you the Civillian Version "The Green Beret Knife", it comes in 5.5" or 7" blade. Also there is "The Pacific" that was designed for First Group, it's a 6" Blade.

Contact me for further details.

Take care.
Martin
Old 03-14-2009, 12:19   #8
Dozer523
BANNED USER

"if you have to ask you can't afford it or don't deserve it"
Well. . . Father's day is coming up and they are all still breathing. . .

for now. . .
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 14:13   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool45B View Post
Would there be an issue buying one for a friend who qualifies? His wife can get me a copy of his DD214 from our deployment for verification. Also, I know it is a working knife but does the blade coating take to laser engraving nicely?

TIA!
Yes there is an issue. Only the SF soldier that's actually going to receive the knife may put in the request. That was a couple of years ago. (I know because I tried to do it for a Medal of Honor recipient, we accomplished the task but not with out him signing the actual paperwork.)
Old 03-14-2009, 15:05   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

I guess....

I guess going up to the General's office and going "Hi, remember me?" ain't the right way to do it?

I thought so.

About the time I was fixin' to do it last time they shut it down. I'll be quicker this time.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32   #11
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

This is excellent, ill be sending my creds out this week. I will pass this info to all the SF Guys at work Monday.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:37   #12
DinDinA-2
Guerrilla

Agreed...this is a most excellent opportunity. My paperwork goes in the mail tomorrow!!
DinDinA-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28   #13
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

From Chris Reeve Knives and myself,
Thanks to all of those who helped stand this back up and the staff who does the work to administrate the project. We really appreciate this.

Note this thread is a "sticky" so it can be found if needed.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:33   #14
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
"if you have to ask you can't afford it or don't deserve it"
Well. . . Father's day is coming up and they are all still breathing. . .

for now. . .
Maybe I can get TARP or Stimulus money - or start a new small business to get in on the latest largesse.
Old 03-16-2009, 13:06   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool45B View Post

TIA!

He is going to have to sign for it.

You cannot have it.

Incidentally, there is no telling how long they will be for sale this time. Last time, IIRC, it was around four years. I recommend that everyone who wants one, pony up and order it immediately, or we will have to start another thread for the whines and snivels from the next group, who will say that they were on the verge of getting theirs, just when they were denied the opportunity.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote