Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 12-22-2014, 20:43   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

9 Misguided Reasons to go to SOF Selection

This is one of the best, most insightful commentaries on this subject that I have ever read.

Thinking of going to a SOF Selection course?

Read this first and save yourself some pain.

TR

9 Misguided Reasons to go to SOF Selection

http://www.themilitaryleader.com/9-m...sof-selection/

Whether you're battling the crashing waves on Coronado Beach, slogging out mile after mile in the sugar sands of Fort Bragg, or trudging your way up and down the deceptively steep Appalachian Mountains...attending selection for one of America's elite special operations force units is a gauntlet of physical and mental endurance.

The fitness demands exceed what you could have hoped to train for. You face each day not knowing which of your professional (and personal) talents you'll be called upon to validate. Your career ambitions...and often your life's goal...rest on the assessment of special operators who have forgotten more about combat than you'll ever know.

But if you make it through...if they accept you...you're set. You're on the team! You can go no higher. And can brag for the rest of your life about how you were "one of them," earning instant respect in any circle.

...Right?

"Selection Never Stops"

Selection is full of people who think that making the roster is the hardest step, when in fact it's the very, very beginning. The intense specialty training that follows, then the operational tempo that today's target-rich environment demands, makes selection look like a vacation.

Every day is a test to stay in SOF, to improve skills that were perfected years ago, to maintain fitness for any fight in any environment, to envision solutions for unknown tactical challenges to come. SOF units rest their success on the tenet that one must continually verify the skills required to win.

Operators have a phrase that endures their tenure: "Selection never stops."

The Wrong Reasons

So, "because life will be a lot easier" is not a good reason to tryout for SOF. And in an effort to stir a little introspection for those interested in taking the walk, here are a few other reasons that should not be driving factors in one's quest to join the ranks of the elite:

• To validate your personal or professional worth. This reason is very common, yet no one will admit it. Lots of folks apply for SOF because they need it to justify their military service. The mindset is usually phrased like this, "I just have to go and find out if I have what it takes." People with this mindset aren't happy in their current professional (sometimes personal) situation and need acceptance from the toughest units in the military to fill the void. It won't work. A military unit can't validate a man or give him purpose.

• To see if you can physically handle it. People with this notion are shortsighted and won't last. Physical fitness is just the starting point of a life in SOF. It's the very first gate you must survive, not the last. Mental agility, creativity, and intellectual fortitude make up so much more of an operator's life than fitness.

• You don't want to be in the "big Army/Navy" anymore. Running away from the conventional force is a prime motivator for joining SOF. Folks think that life is just so much better over there, that there are no unit problems or bureaucratic nonsense. Again, shortsighted. People are people. Every organization has good ones and not-so-good ones. Drama and people problems are an unavoidable facts of leadership environments...SOF is no different.

• You think leading conventional troops isn't important enough. Similarly, some self-absorbed people think that conventional Soldiers/Sailors aren't worth their effort to lead, that they're substandard service members. They don't appreciate what an awesome opportunity it is to lead service members, regardless of the unit. Then when these people fail selection, they let their resentful attitude hamper their performance, short-changing their unit and themselves.

• You're tired of playing by the rules or wearing a uniform. Younger officers and NCOs often get enamored with the idea of having increased responsibility, less oversight, and fewer conventional restrictions. They want to be in the "cool guy club." I can assure you that an ardent desire to grow a beard has never been sufficient, or even helpful, in passing SOF selection. A currently serving operator I know confirmed, "Yes, we wear uniforms, go to mandatory annual training, and take DA Photos. We're still part of the service."

• You think you will get more time at home. 4 month deployments sound nice, but the reality is that SOF units have been deploying 4-on, 4-off (or more) for 13 years straight, and to more theaters. And they will continue to deploy long after the conventional forces leave country. Operators don't get more time at home because when they're not deployed, they're training. People associate "big boy rules" with free time...not the case in SOF.

• You think you'll be an instant special operator if you pass selection. Refer to the above point that selection never stops. You never "arrive" in SOF...you only strive to grow to a higher level of lethality. Just like Basic Training, selection is designed to see if candidates have the foundational skills to potentially handle the rigors of life on the other side. There's no guarantee that anyone will pass the training that follows selection, and frankly, SOF units have such a faithful adherence to the standard that they'd rather fail everybody than put an unqualified operator on the teams.

• SOF has higher promotion rates and more command opportunities. Good-on the person who can get through selection and training motivated by career advancement. It doesn't happen often. The facts are that the promotion rates are very similar to conventional units and there are far fewer command opportunities in SOF than elsewhere. To command in SOF, you have to be the most lethal, agile, reliable, and consistent leader...in a pool of similarly talented peers. It's no picnic. And it's no reason to take the walk.

• As my good friend in Army SOF said, "Going to SOF doesn't make you a hero." You have to earn everything. And when you do valorous things in SOF units, it's commonplace. Humility is pervasive there, which starves egos looking for attention. The "Quiet Professionals" attitude is alive and well, so don't think that joining SOF will get you free beers for the rest of your life.

One Right Reason

There's really only one reason to tryout for SOF...and one that the evaluators are specifically screening for. Selfless service. It sounds like this, "I've gained some skillsets in my short career. I want to offer them in units that have the highest impact for my Nation. I don't know if they're what SOF is looking for, but I'm willing to push myself past exhaustion to make them available."

To get in the right mindset, you should become stoically dispassionate about your endeavor to join the SOF ranks. Accept that SOF units are looking for a very narrow bandwidth of talent and that although you meet all the qualifications, you might not be the right person for the job. That doesn't make you less of a leader or a failure. It just means that your skillsets aren't specifically tailored for success in SOF.

And here's the reality...if you aren't up to their standard, you don't want to be there! What's worse than not passing selection is making it through only to find out that you never really had the requisite skills, and consequently put people at risk. Not cool.

Questions for Candidates

• Why do you want to join SOF? For yourself...or for your Nation?

• Are you prepared to spend the rest of your career outside of your comfort zone, physically, mentally, personally, and professionally?

• If you didn't achieve this highest goal of passing SOF selection, would it detract from your continuing service as a military leader?

What I promise for The Military Leader is that I will only write about topics of which I have personal knowledge. When that is lacking, I will include input from those who have personal knowledge. For this post, I have done both, and sincerely thank the several SOF service members who contributed to the content. Each of them went to SOF for only one reason.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 22:09   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

Spot on.
Quote:
Selection Never Stops
It is a mind set that I see and practice still today in my "retired" civilian job.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:04   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I think new Tm Sgts should think about the core of what this article reads as. Then take that and run with what you know and rechallenge his men on the ODA.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Spot on.

It is a mind set that I see and practice still today in my "retired" civilian job.
I also apply what I learned and practiced from SF in my current job and by just doing what is right and having the drive and proper work ethic I get praise from my bosses out of the blue and all I can say is I am just doing my job. That usually causes a confused look and they then have to comment No you are doing so much more.........

My counterparts have such a low bar to meet in my perspective......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:47   #5
MiTTMedic
Guerrilla

Quote:
I think if you succeed in "doing the right thing" in the military, two things may happen to you in the civilian sector: either you will experience what you have experienced, or you will be taken for granted (if you allow it to happen).
Old 12-23-2014, 11:34   #6
Beef
Quiet Professional

A great and much needed thread, TR. Not only for those considering selection, but for everyone who visits this forum. As pointed out by the other QPs above, this should basically be a template for embarking upon and growing in any career. Thanks for giving us this perspective in print!
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 00:56   #7
Mike
Quiet Professional

In one of the 1st classroom sessions, phase 1, 1967, they asked for a show of hands of those who thought they were in for a cloak and dagger exprience.
Responders were offered the opportunity to leave.
Nobody did.

Next question involved tattoos.
Beings the Cold War was raging, it was discussed how a nice "Death Before Dishonor/Dagger/Scull" would be difficult to 'splain if caught behind the Iron Curtain and that it would hurt one's cover story signinificantly.
Most of us had not got as far as getting one, but were close.
Result was that you see few tats on guys entering that era.

I still miss not getting a nice "Death Before Dishonor Skull/Dagger."

Beats hell out of wierd made up tribal looking stuff.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

That was a great read Brother.

I know someone in particular that needs to read and understand it but it isnt wort my time passing it to him...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09   #9
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
I also apply what I learned and practiced from SF in my current job and by just doing what is right and having the drive and proper work ethic I get praise from my bosses out of the blue and all I can say is I am just doing my job. That usually causes a confused look and they then have to comment No you are doing so much more.........

This.....

I treat every situation like an indig environment. Make them think that what I want is their idea. Solve problems, but most importantly, be the keeper of the moral compass.