Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-18-2005, 15:34   #1
jbq004
Asset

Satellite Phones

Leaving soon for Afghanistan, I was wondering about satellite phones. Are they worth it? Which ones are the best? How much money should they cost? Any info would be great. Thanks a lot.
jbq004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:34   #2
VelociMorte
Guerrilla

Unless someone else is paying the bill, it's not worth it. If you are able to access a U.S. military installation, you'll have phone service.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill
VelociMorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19   #3
Jaeger1980
Asset

Question satellite phones

Hello Gentlemen.

We (some comrades I served with and myself) are planing a trip through Western Africa. We have two Iridium Motorola 9505A.

Could anyone who used a satellite phone in this region before give me some objections or suggestions? I would like to know which satellite phones and which system (Iridium, Thuraya, Inmarsat, ect.) you professionals would recommend for use in Western Africa.

Needs: phone and internet access in remote areas, fast setup and easy operation.

Any preferences?

Gruss,
Jäger

Last edited by Jaeger1980; 12-10-2006 at 09:57.
Jaeger1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 20:35   #4
Jaeger1980
Asset

I would really appreciate any input.

...and please excuse my unperfected english.

Last edited by Jaeger1980; 12-11-2006 at 20:53.
Old 12-20-2006, 18:34   #5
resonant evil
Quiet Professional

sure

Iridium Mrola 9505a - I have used the phone, not in the area you are going though. First, if you don't have valid sim cards from Iridium, this you need. Only 50 bucks per phone. Monthly fees, minutes (at like 1.60 US$ a min, around 1.36 US$ prepaid the way to go), the data kit for internet. The fastest dial up internet service you can find. Then you should be set.

Google it! Go to the Iridium site. Make lots of phone calls, find someone who will let you test out there stuff. depends on how much you want to spend, how much you need to talk. It works. You already have the phones.

Thuraya - need phones! could buy or rent. I like the phone (hughes) more than the Iridium (motorola). Google it. Go to thuraya. As long as you stay north west (gold coast) you will be in their coverage area. I think Iridium may have them beat in data speed now with their new software though.

Tired now. bye
Old 12-21-2006, 08:22   #6
Jaeger1980
Asset

Of course I have already used Google, read the companies homepages, and called them.

We'll stick to Iridium. I ordered prepaid cards, Data Kits with software, some spare parts and batteries.

RE, thank you for your time and information.

Gruß,
Jäger

edit: damn typos

Last edited by Jaeger1980; 12-21-2006 at 11:35.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:14   #7
resonant evil
Quiet Professional

cool

You have to tell us how good your set up works!
Old 06-13-2008, 00:27   #8
etcheeves
Asset

Iridium info

I've done some pretty extensive testing with the Iridiumm 9505a and the datakit. I work for a small "quasi-tactical" comms unit in Europe. Iridium proves the Direct Connect software which utilizes a type of compression to give you internet connect speeds up to 9.6K, yes I said K as in kilobytes. I have not had huge success with the 9.6k but think that is due to our government provided Iridium Service Provider. 2.4K is what you will connect at if you use a traditional dial-up ISP and skip Iridium's service. I will tell you from experience, 2.4k is painfully slow for websurfing, no matter how you slice it. Some people have had luck using a "mobile phone" browser page that is very limited in the "flashiness". It should work fine for pop3 email through outlook. We use Immarsat and iridium, immarsat obviously will give you better bandwidth if that is your goal, up to 64k with a storm terminal, but iridium is far easier to use, and more compact. The phone and datakit will easily fit in your laptop bag. As far as reception, iridium is the only sat phone, as in cellphone type that is truly global. Their SatGrid covers everywhere, even the oceans, if your planning to stay on the dirt, then that isn't an issue. We have personally used our iridiums in many parts of Africa and can assure you they work there, at least for voice. You can even get an iridium charger that is solar powered so you can truly be off the grid and not have to carry so many batteries.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

R/
ETCheeves
etcheeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:30   #9
cornelyj
Guerrilla

rent and release...

Last trip I took included a Sat. phone/ GPS (emergency) tracker and the only way it was a (monetary) possibility was to rent the phone and buy extra batteries. good stuff. This allowed me to get a really fancy $$$ phone and play with it for a month or so. You would be surprised how many outdoor and guide companies rent everything but the boots. Good thing to look into if uncle isn't footing the bill I guess.

Good luck and give us a report back of what you decided to employ and how it worked/sucked.
There is no magic about being an officer, it is just a different level of responsibility with additional demands to that puts the burden on your shoulders for everything your team does or fails to do.

-Jack M.
cornelyj is offline   Reply With Quote