Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 11-01-2010, 14:21   #331
bk4242
SF Candidate

First day thoughts...

Early this morning I began my first real day of the blitz workout. As a former collegiate athlete I have been through a myriad of physically demanding workouts so I thought this would quietly join the list. But I soon found out through lactic acid build up that this challenged me both physically and mentally (looking at the stop watch and realizing that i still had 30 more seconds of the exercise). Although it may be premature since it is only day one, I am excited to see the results in the months ahead before I ship to basic.

Bk
bk4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 18:59   #332
Quixote
SF Candidate

First day of blitz, some success and some failure.

Exercise - Weight - Goal Reps - Reps

Barbell Bench Press - 65lb - 64 - 50
Squats - Bodyweight - 60 - 48
Dumbbell weighted crunches - 30lb - 68 - 50
Barbell Preacher Curls - 20lb - 60 - 51
Upright cable rows - 70lb - 72 - 40

I was going to do Lat Pulldowns and Hamstring curls, but on the Lat machine there was way too much weight bounce for the speed I was trying to move it, and the Hamstring curl machine was broken.

Some thoughts - The barbell preacher curls burned. Maybe because I've never done bicep specific work before. The upright cable rows were absolute murder though. I did them after the preacher curls and my biceps just couldn't take it. I had to stop for a second or two to keep going and I still barely got above 40 reps. Either I need to find a new trap/shoulder workout that doesn't use biceps or drop the preacher curls. The problem is even if I do get the speed up, the pulley system is the same as the Lat bar, which was giving me all kinds of problems.

So I need to redesign the circuit some. I think the bench presses, squats, and curls are fine.

Anyone have any recommendations for some hamstring, shoulder, and back work? Machines don't really seem to be an option at the gym I'm near due to weight bounce, so I'm stuck with barbells and dumbbells.

Last edited by Quixote; 11-16-2010 at 19:10.
Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 21:04   #333
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Maybe...

You can see why one muscle group per circuit. Yes one bicep exercise.
Try Flys, Shrugs, Crunches.
Just pick a couple of things to fill a circuit.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 21:58   #334
Quixote
SF Candidate

Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts?

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?
Old 11-17-2010, 00:01   #335
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Here's what I'm thinking about trying now:

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Squats
Overhead Press/Push Press?
Weighted crunches
Deadlifts/Stiff Leg Deadlifts? These are recommended as it will be double tricep

I'm not sure about the overhead press or the push press. I'm not doing any dedicated triceps work, but they are ancillary muscles pretty often in this setup. Fundamentally I guess I won't know how they'll be hit until I try it. I'm also not sure about the deadlifts - Do deadlifts suffer the same problem as squats at low weight (low hamstring activation)? If they do, are stiff leg deadlifts a viable solution?
only way to exercise Hamstrings is to "Actively"Flex the Ham. Hams aren't worked in a squat

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27   #336
Quixote
SF Candidate

Hence the stiff leg deadlifts. Though I think I'll switch them to rack pulls. Interestingly, I was reading an experiment where a subject was hooked up to an EMG to test muscle fiber activation with various exercises and heavy rack pulls also seem to activate back muscles nearly as well as pull ups and weighted chin ups and far better than heavy bent over rows. Again, I don't know how much lower weight will affect the biomechanics of the movement, but I might need to swap out the barbell rows.

Last edited by Quixote; 11-17-2010 at 09:31.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:07   #337
ksboi
Asset

work out

Did my second workout for blitzzing. Went bad burned the whole time and then walked back to the company and legs felt like jelly here is what i did for exercises

Chest Press Machine
Cable Curls
Weighted Crunches
Leg Extension
Hack Squat machine
Lat Pulldown
Cable Flies

Also just got off profile so I will be taking the running and rucking easy for a while but I have scheduled a PT test in a couple months and I will see how blitzzing will improve my situps and run.

Last edited by ksboi; 11-25-2010 at 07:23.
ksboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04   #338
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

To all Blitz user..

Gents, I have reviewed and revamped the Blitz worksheet on an Excell spreadsheet. The bugs are out and I'll send one out to anyone who want it . Just PM me your E-mail address. This sheet can be filled out and E-mailed to me for evaluations and comments. Blitzzz
Blitzzz@aol.com

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-07-2010, 01:20   #339
ksboi
Asset

two circuit

So I started with the muliti circuits yesterday. After the first circuit I felt good, stretched for four minutes then hit it again. I felt like I was going to puke after the third exercise. Some of the exercises I passed my reps and some stayed the same and some lower. I will keep on hitting it hard.
ksboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 21:40   #340
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

For everyone...

Anyone Blitzing should use the excell spread sheet and Email a copy to me after starting. I can then update them here and critique and /or advise from solid numbers..
Thanks Blitzzz.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2010, 13:10   #341
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.

Last edited by Irishsquid; 12-11-2010 at 00:00.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 14:55   #342
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsquid View Post
Could the Blitz protocol be used with good results in compound lifts? Clean & Press, Clean & Jerk, etc?

Some combination like:

Clean & Jerk
Squat
Lat pull
Hamstring Curl
Rear Delt Fly
Shrug
Crunch
Chest Fly

Or would it be dangerous to perform compound movements at Blitz speeds? If there is not sufficient data, I'll be happy to be the guinea pig...I have had good results with even my half-assed attempts at the Blitz protocol, but I really enjoy the compound lifts. Just a point of curiosity.
Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2010, 17:58   #343
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
Safety first. PERFECT FORM, and 1/4 RM to start. Guinea pig is welcome..Thank keep me informed. Dave.

Well...was a great workout. I threw in clean & press as a sample compound lift. Only problem I found is that with the large range or motion of the clean and press, the reps are a lot lower than for static lifts. 8 reps in 15 seconds would bring my goal reps to 32 in one minute. Could have gone faster, but I was paying very strict attention to form. I'll keep it going for 4-6 weeks, and let you know how the results look.

Last edited by Irishsquid; 12-11-2010 at 19:38.
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09   #344
Richard
Quiet Professional

New Blitzz workouts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQmFv...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Jqt...eature=related

So it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:04   #345
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Those are the results of some sort of workout, but not Blitz.
Where those guys are presently, is where they would start the Blitz and the Gains I have forecasted would still be in effect.
Although, they are impressive, they aren't better than P90X, Crossfit, or another system out there.

Thomas Jefferson