Been 10 months
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:21   #347
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Been 10 months
Wasn't there a decision made back in Nov? I remember a LTC coming out on Fox News I believe talking about it. If true, I wonder why the long WAIT.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03   #348
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogun View Post
My prediction- courts martial. ... And there is no high level executive branch conspiracy concerning the timing or decision as some of you conspiracists allege.
Not sure a GCM or even Special CM is in this soldiers future. It'd be too embarrassing to the WH given the Rose Garden moment.

In all due respects, sir, manipulating information has been the hallmark of this WH since they came aboard. (And I'm not a conspiracist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.) JMHO
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43   #349
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Will not happen until after the 2016 elections........

But it would sure take the pressure off hitlerlry........
Old 03-16-2015, 21:04   #350
twogun
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Not sure a GCM or even Special CM is in this soldiers future. It'd be too embarrassing to the WH given the Rose Garden moment.

In all due respects, sir, manipulating information has been the hallmark of this WH since they came aboard. (And I'm not a conspiracist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.) JMHO
The WH has no say in military justice until it is time for a potential presidential pardon. Now that wouldn't surprise me- a conviction for desertion, some amount of time, and then ... wait for it... a pardon as Obama leaves the whitehouse.

It is my understanding that the FORSCOM CDR has the case/investigation and if tried it will occur on Bragg. And if Bergdahl elects a panel, it will be a Bragg panel which will not be sympathetic to his plight.

All that being said who the hell knows. Maybe we should set up a poll/ wager system on possible outcomes. Winner takes fifty percent and the other fifty to the SFA or GB Foundation, or to our Team Sergeant Jeff for costs of this site. I'm in for twenty he goes to a courts martial.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:25   #351
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
All that being said who the hell knows. Maybe we should set up a poll/ wager system on possible outcomes. Winner takes fifty percent and the other fifty to the SFA or GB Foundation, or to our Team Sergeant Jeff for costs of this site. I'm in for twenty he goes to a courts martial.
You mean like a football pool with all the various options laid out on a grid? Dad-gum, that notion has merit! Esp to benefit the GB Foundation, SFA, PS.com, or maybe re-build the bar in Bragg. A 50-50 split! And it wouldn't be gambling, it'd be ... well, it probably wouldn't be gambling. I'll spot twenty on NJP, an admin discharge, and community service, and if I win I'll donate the winnings to the she goat and her kid Bergdahl left at the alter back in theater!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:43   #352
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The WH has no say in military justice until it is time for a potential presidential pardon..
Do you really believe that? Maybe in the abstract, but do you believe that Dempsey and Odierno (and those like them) could withstand political pressure applied by the WH?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15   #353
twogun
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Do you really believe that? Maybe in the abstract, but do you believe that Dempsey and Odierno (and those like them) could withstand political pressure applied by the WH?
And then what put pressure on down the line on a case and an outcome? On the criminal side of the case it is unlawful command influence (or the "mortal enemy to military justice"). Not saying it doesn't happen, but when it does you normally have tens of lawyers talking about in motion practice with the court or in the press. Legal advisers in the military generally do a good job protecting thier commander from committing UCI, or when a recipient to it, the COA out. Bottom line is I have a good amount of faith in the system knowing many of the folks in it and having advised commanders at all levels on murder to down range mayhem, and never ever seen a hint that the executive branch influence, even on front page cases. This case is bigger, I'll give you that based on his weirdo family hugging the POTUS in the Rose Garden, but not any different from a UCMJ perspective.

More importantly I think there is no need for a chart of possible outcomes. If you want to throw twenty in just announce on here you are in and what you think the outcome will be with some specificity. And the winner gets his fifty percent, the house (TM SGT) gets the other, or all to the house and accolades to the winner? I don't need any money, but my ego likes to be called a winner. So the house can keep my winnings, not to mention the pain it would be to collect from all of you.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25   #354
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

I'm not sure that would be fair. Bergdahl actually works about 100 feet from me.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:29   #355
twogun
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm not sure that would be fair. Bergdahl actually works about 100 feet from me.
Well fuck- can you go ask him what the hell is going on?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:32   #356
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

It's funny. We were just talking about that here. Where they can't keep any other secret, that one is locked in a vault. So, we just see him walking around doing scut work.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:49   #357
twogun
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It's funny. We were just talking about that here. Where they can't keep any other secret, that one is locked in a vault. So, we just see him walking around doing scut work.
Well no betting for you based on your proximity. If the kids breaks and spills his future to you let us know. I'd also like to know if he is still ignoring his parents and why?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:54   #358
Box
Quiet Professional

...ha

He should be studying for the E-6 board. No use in letting his career stagnate because a bunch of bureaucrats can't make a decision.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:09   #359
Beef
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well no betting for you based on your proximity. If the kids breaks and spills his future to you let us know. I'd also like to know if he is still ignoring his parents and why?
From what I saw of his parents on TV, I'd ignore them, too.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59   #360
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Ask him if the Taliban let him be their chai boy while he was their guest.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote