Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 01-29-2015, 19:09   #271
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
IMO, it is a three legged stool and the third leg gets blamed too much and too often when students fail to lean forward in their own educations.

Aspiring collegians and their parents (legs one and two) need to do a better job at "shopping" for schools that are good fits for the student. Once there, students need to do a better job of "shopping" for departments, courses, and instructors that provide the type of education that will work best for that student and is relevant.
I am no expert in education just my own experience, observations, and what I see and hear. I see what you are saying and can imagine.
What I was referring to was application and experience...leading to perspective. As an example, those who put themselves through school, working up to it during, and Summers building using what they learned vs insulated peers insecure at graduation because of they lack connection to what they have learned. There seems to be a disconnect and we can provide better opportunities. Richards post is a great example of a tangible connection...to me the legs are working well, accountability, reward, security ( clearly the unions, state government, and perspectives were different). There have been a lot of great programs in the past...they seem to inevitably change perspective.
Apprenticeships, internships, partnerships, cooperatives, etc... can be good ways to invest in each other building equity, integrate that with education...the military does that to a degree.
When I hear what cost are today and why, I wonder if the interests like research, building facilities, tenuring and the other interests that escalate costs could be compartmentalized from the basic degree programs?

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 01-29-2015 at 19:11.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 17:38   #272
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
As Obama visits all these 4 year schools touting his wonderful initiatives he seems to be leaving out how he robs Peter to pay Paul. That middle class that he speaks so lovingly of had better bend over according to this Forbes article, at least 3.5 million of them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanelli...rican-dream/2/

"Obama's 529 College Savings Plan Tax Hike Is An Assault On The American Dream"
I wonder how we as a country have become more formally "educated" and yet more dependent on big government for survival. There was once a time when a Phd was truly reserved for the most brilliant dedicated minds within their respective field. My Father in law described his defense of his thesis in Molecular Biology as being brutal, while his thesis was dissected and question front, back, diagonal, and etc...he had to stand in the presence of the most respected experts available in the field and defend it. Today not so much a Phd can be gained online doing DL. And today we are letting freedom slip out of our grasp with this dependence.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 18:04   #273
Richard
Quiet Professional

This is America - you can always send your kids to one of these...

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12966...m_ven=outbrain

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:14   #274
Penn
Area Commander

I live within eyesight of the #1 Lawrenceville School, the security is comprehensive, but what may be of some interest is the access to education at any one of these school is arguably structural discrimination, the price of admission.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:49   #275
VVVV

My school missed the list....tuition is only $41,600!