Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 06-18-2014, 08:28   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I know, send in Special Forces!!!

When you don't have a clue of what to do........ barry soetoro is making Jesse Jackson look intelligent.

Middle East

Obama eyes ‘special forces’ option in Iraq, meeting with Hill leaders
Published June 18, 2014
·FoxNews.com

President Obama plans to huddle with top congressional leaders on Wednesday to discuss ramping up U.S. involvement in the Iraq crisis, and is said to be leaning toward sending U.S. special forces into the country.

White House officials stress that several options remain on the table and no decision has been made. But the president reportedly has, for now, ruled out using airstrikes against the Al Qaeda-inspired Sunni Muslim insurgency that has seized vast swaths of territory in the north and west of Iraq.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the concern is that U.S. commanders lack sufficient intelligence to determine clear battlefield targets.

A senior official told Fox News that the president instead appears to be leaning toward sending roughly 100 special forces into the region. Such a contingent presumably would be sent to help train the Iraqi military and boost intelligence available to the Iraqis.
cont:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...eet-with-hill/
Old 06-18-2014, 08:59   #2
uplink5
Quiet Professional

If SF is there providing support, they will need air support! What's more important, Providing the support they need to accomplish their mission, or leaving them without this tactical asset because it's politically inconvenient?

I fear that without air, we'll suffer more losses...

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30   #3
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink5 View Post
If SF is there providing support, they will need air support! What's more important, Providing the support they need to accomplish their mission, or leaving them without this tactical asset because it's politically inconvenient?

I fear that without air, we'll suffer more losses...
More like catastrophic (approaching 100%) loss! I cannot imagine the Joint Chiefs advising this without the corresponding commitment of air assets. And if he does anyway, I would expect resignations en masse. It would establish this POTUS as the worst leader since Nero IMO. Nothing at this point would surprise me with what he does or does not do.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:03   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

...shouldn't we be sending SEAL Team-6 and Delta Force to do this?

Why send plain old white-SOF ?

What a rookie.

...and as far as seeing "resignations en masse", I expect monkeys to fly out of my butt first.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-18-2014 at 12:06.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

How will these Iraqi troops we train be better than the ones we spent 2003-2011 training, and who cut and run at the sight of the enemy?

What will happen when the US forces are attacked or captured?

Who will provide MEDEVAC, lift, and fire support to the US troops in Iraq?

What will happen when there are (inevitably) civilian casualties, particularly if there is any way to blame us? No way to avoid this in an urban civil war, BTW.

Will a SOFA be signed before we go back in? Will there be one if/when we finish?

Who will these forces be OPCON to?

How does this address US strategic interests?

Finally, what is the desired end state that the force should try to achieve? Because to me, the underlying problems here are not going to be solved by American military intervention, and 100 guys are just a worm on a hook.

Maliki and the Iraqi leadershop are responsible for this mess, and for fixing it.

I say let them hold the sack of mierda they have created, and offer diplomatic, informational, and economic solutions.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:49   #6
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
When you don't have a clue of what to do........
SF Men Always Know what to do! Thank God and Our Country for SF Men.

JMHO,

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 14:08   #7
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Don't forget, when these morons say send in Special Forces, they mean SEALs, MARSOF or anyone else they think is special, they don't necessarily mean SF.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 17:00   #8
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Don't forget, when these morons say send in Special Forces, they mean SEALs, MARSOF or anyone else they think is special, they don't necessarily mean SF.
I'm for this solution; as "they" think of themselves as special "they" will send themselves over.
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 17:07   #9
glebo
Quiet Professional

Hmmm, does anyone smell another Somalia??? Yeah, send them in...but with no support...

Frickin assclowns...all of'em...
Old 06-18-2014, 19:29   #10
JHD
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
How will these Iraqi troops we train be better than the ones we spent 2003-2011 training, and who cut and run at the sight of the enemy?

What will happen when there are (inevitably) civilian casualties, particularly if there is any way to blame us? No way to avoid this in an urban civil war, BTW.

Will a SOFA be signed before we go back in? Will there be one if/when we finish?

Finally, what is the desired end state that the force should try to achieve? Because to me, the underlying problems here are not going to be solved by American military intervention, and 100 guys are just a worm on a hook.

Maliki and the Iraqi leadershop are responsible for this mess, and for fixing it.

I say let them hold the sack of mierda they have created, and offer diplomatic, informational, and economic solutions.

TR
Spot on.
JHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41   #11
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Sparta.jpg

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:54   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Exactly what I was thinking, but also going with "The 300" goes one moron........maybe he will write himself up for a 6th Purple Heart.......

Obama sending Kerry to Middle East, ready to dispatch military advisers to Iraq
Old 06-19-2014, 16:56   #13
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
Wanna come over and spread some "vision" to my 3?

I've covered nearly all of those questions this week because at me level, nobody was. We had the wrong people this week trying to get into the fight. I think I hurt some feelings eclipsing the efforts of the 3 and his assistant planner by asking some of these same relevant questions. Nothing like your S2 NCOIC telling you that you have it wrong, and the BC agreeing.

What a fookin' week.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 00:10   #14
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, but also going with "The 300" goes one moron........

So, 300 plus one?

...coincidence?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ephialtes.jpg (18.4 KB, 108 views)
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:39   #15
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
"......and 100 guys are just a worm on a hook."
TR, you may have just hit the nail on the head with that one. If they're captured, they're trade material and voila - Gitmo's emptied and a campaign promise is fulfilled.