Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 07-30-2004, 10:19   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
50 hours of COO training? Man, I got out just in the nick of time!
To paraphrase some schools I have attended:

"Its only a lot of reading if you actually do it."

Wise commanders will make the call here.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 14:35   #17
sandytroop
Quiet Professional

Sterling Thread, Really.

I always try to focus on two lessons I learned from older smarter soldiers. First, develop selflessness. It's the most important trait you can have in SF (or anywhere). Help others and contribute to the Team's success even if it makes your life temporarily harder.

Then learn Followship. Your points on Officers are well put. We used to say that their job was to sign our ammo requests and tak the blame for the things we break.

The reality is, they have a soldier's job to do, like we all do. When I report to a new unit (like i am going to do the first week of Jan, back to the 19th) the first thing I do is meet the leadership and make sure they all understand my position. I am here to contribute to the success of the Team. I am not here to jerk your chain about my SOCOM hair, or some off the wall uniform I want to wear. I am not here to be Special, I am here to help make the team Special. That means I am here to follow as they lead. That does not mean I am here to be a puppet and just do every dumb thing that comes down the pipe. And I am happy to get out front and lead as the situation presents itself. But the first thing is to follow existing procedures and contribute. Once I know everything I can about the unit, I may choose to offer direction where it hasn't been solicited. But first off, Follow the leaders and be a contributor to the success of your Team.
Old 12-26-2004, 14:15   #18
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

This really is a great thread. I'm rapidly approaching geezehood. I'm a civilian. I still see a lot here to take to heart and apply.

In many ways it reminds me of one of the bell ringing smacks my Dad gave me as a kid. Usually accompanied by the question.."Are You Paying Attention?"

Don't miss the smackdown but the question is still a good one.

Thanks
NDD
mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 17:27   #19
Roycroft201
Guerrilla

I have a bookmark for this thread in several files on my computer.

Decided to reread it again today.

It is always just as relevant, powerful and cogent as the first time I read it.

Thanks, NDD.
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. " .....Lee Iacocca

I will cede that we frequently have to associate with people we may not respect. - The Reaper
Roycroft201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 17:32   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Glad you guys enjoyed it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:47   #21
Endorphin Rush
Guerrilla

Sage advice, NDD.
Endorphin Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 13:49   #22
tyrsnbdr
Auxiliary

NDD, this is great advice and I've already "adjust fire" on my pt plan (big biceps do help w/ pullups, but legs are more important). And I copied your story on the NCO views of Officers and gave it to my PL's. They love it. And any other advice you have, my eyes are open.

Last edited by tyrsnbdr; 01-21-2005 at 22:06.
tyrsnbdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 21:00   #23
STR8SHTR
Auxiliary

Excellant post NDD. With your permission, I would like to post it in my office so the Troopers can read it.
STR8SHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:11   #24
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Of course
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 13:53   #25
7th SFG
Asset

Wow!

I am blown away by the knowledge, sincerity and professional courtesy given in this forum.
NDD Your words have impacted me and Im sure others in a mighty way. Your dedication and love for what you do is extremely evident and obvious.
I personally want to thank you and reiterate that what you write isnt in vain there are people out there that appreciate a good wake up call.
I have been here in 7th SFG for a year now and am locked in to attend SFAS this April 26th. The wisdom Im pulling from you and others in this site is fuel for my soul as I begin this new chapter in my Military Career.

Again Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38   #26
Raven
Asset

As a young 18X your insight has provided me with invaluable knowledge on SF, the military, and life in general. I thank you.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50   #27
jon448
SF Candidate

This is perhaps the best and most inspiring thread or even best and most inspiring thing that I have ever read even concerning SF. This should be read by anyone even with the slightest thoughts about trying to become one of the 'Quiet Professionals'.
Old 04-27-2005, 21:05   #28
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
For every 10 minutes you stand at attention in front of the CO's desk because you screwed up, he probably spent 20 in front of the BC's desk.
let me hop on this one...as a detachment commander, i probably got my ass chewed at every commanders meeting for something a guy on my team did or failed to do...stupid stuff..."sir, i didn't salute Major So and So because he's a ******* leg"..."sir, i don't usually get drunk on week nights, but we were bowling"....and i could go on...guys who felt because they were Special Forces soldiers, they could get away with a little extra foolishness...if what i was getting my ass chewed for had professional merit, it would have been easier...i took two or three of those a day regading issues that other SF officers had little or no knowledge of (transferring a perfectly good NCO off of the mountain team i commanded because he suffered from hypoxia...'but he's in excellent condition')
a professional soldier, regardless of rank, doesn't routinely screw up so that his boss is getting his ass chewed on a regular basis...but once a week, when all the Os in the company sat down to hash out the issues of the moment, i was getting lit up like a Christmas tree...and some of the NCOs had the temerity to take offense when i passed on a little of the joy...the team sergeant would get gnawed on at every team sergeant meeting as well...it took about six, eight months, but we passed on some of our blither spirits and schooled a couple of others until we could sit down through an entire meeting without asbestos jockey shorts...

Quote:
An SF Officer is a warrior. He is a professional. That "college boy" with the railroad tracks on his flash could probably stomp a mudhole in your ass if he wasn't duty bound by the code not to do so - some of the really good ones will anyway.
i don't know where the assertion came up that an officer could't PT with a detachment...i never had that problem...maybe now, the teams are taking better care of themselves...as an SF NCO and later as an SF officer, i would say the better conditioned guys on the team were the officers...

Quote:
Next time you have not the obligation, but the opportunity to salute one of them, think about that and do it with pride and the respect he deserves.
and here's the way i look at it...when i encountered a guy from my detachment or another SF NCO out and about, it was arguable as to who initiated the salute...as far as i was concerned (and i feel i speak for all the Os i served with), the salute was not subordinate-to-superior, it was professional-to-professional...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 04-27-2005 at 21:08. Reason: removing embellishments
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 14:10   #29
Archangel
BANNED USER

Truely Professional Soldiers dwell here.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:13   #30
sandytroop
Quiet Professional

Great Jack London Quote

I've been using this with my students lately; it gets their attention:

"You can not always run from a weakness. Sometimes you must fight it out, or perish; and if that be so, then why not now, and where you stand?"