Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 02-05-2010, 20:27   #61
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
That seems like a hazard to me.
I was addressing this comment. If the people who act as you state can't find their keys, and there is no large window near the door, then that's their problem. I'm guessing that you would not be so stupid.

As for escaping a fire, assuming I couldn't find or use the key I've been using for 24 years, the picture window next to the door is history.

Don't judge your abilities by others inabilities.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 21:20   #62
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I was addressing this comment. If the people who act as you state can't find their keys, and there is no large window near the door, then that's their problem. I'm guessing that you would not be so stupid.

As for escaping a fire, assuming I couldn't find or use the key I've been using for 24 years, the picture window next to the door is history.

Don't judge your abilities by others inabilities.

Pat
It wasn't intended to be a judgment, it was my opinion and it's up for discussion.

Regardless, adjacent window or not I wouldn't have a double keyed dead bolt. If someone in the house were disoriented, injured or unable to see, a regular dead bolt might make a difference and it is a option I would have.

Kind of like riding down a hill on a bicycle and your heading for a curb. You can turn Left, Right or put on the brakes. This is obvious to you, but others panic and head straight to the curb.....and sometimes even the best of us find ourselves in a situation where it just doesn't go according to plan.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 21:39   #63
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
It wasn't intended to be a judgment, it was my opinion and it's up for discussion.

Regardless, adjacent window or not I wouldn't have a double keyed dead bolt. If someone in the house were disoriented, injured or unable to see, a regular dead bolt might make a difference and it is a option I would have.

Kind of like riding down a hill on a bicycle and your heading for a curb. You can turn Left, Right or put on the brakes. This is obvious to you, but others panic and head straight to the curb.....and sometimes even the best of us find ourselves in a situation where it just doesn't go according to plan.

Fine. Don't get one. This badminton match is over. The folks on this site are not prone to panic.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 22:04   #64
Plutarch
Auxiliary

We've had a rash of home invasions lately.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/crime...nnected/29740/

I live alone in a town home. I have the front and back doors barricaded, and keep a handgun and a shotgun with me as I travel from room to room. My weak point is the rear windows. They were originally double sliding windows. I had the outer windows replaced with storm windows that do not open, and I blocked the inner windows with a cut piece of 2x4.

I then placed an iron bakers rack with potted plants in front of the window, and secured it to the structure with steel cables. With the patio table and umbrella in front of it, it doesn't stand out.
Plutarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 22:23   #65
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
This badminton match is over.
Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
The folks on this site are not prone to panic.
We do agree on somethings.
Old 02-05-2010, 23:41   #66
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Fire or what ever the situation ease of exit is what I was getting at.
Exactly, again, I'm in the BTDT category here. As a 12 yr old, my assessment of the situation was "Oh Shit! Run!" No need for complications.

Quote:
Regarding the alarms, every customer I have that has one, the sensors are only on the doors and windows, and there are other points of entry that are not 'secured'. I think residential security systems are a deterrent, but 'Mike at Brinks' breeds a false sense of security for many I know. A dog would have been a better investment IMO.
I've seen dogs handled successfully by the more prepared burglar, using mace. Seems that I saw "better burglars" on cases involving small business owners who are *reputed* to ease some cash out of the business and keep it at home for "tax purposes".
Quote:
A good percentage of burglaries in my area happen without breaking anything...they use key codes they obtained somewhere and they drive around with garage door openers to see which doors will open.
I came home once to find a screen window pried away from the house. At that point part of the alarm attached to the window itself was visible. End result, one bent screen window, nothing more. The systems armed/disarmed by a programmable key fob are sweet, and again, if the unit is in the closet, there is little chance that anyone else would pick up the code.

Quote:
One family I know, had there entire house cleaned out, all 4000 to 5000 sq ft gone while they were on vacation! There was no forced entry. All their neighbors noticed was some big trucks in the drive and they thought the house was being worked on.
A good neighbor is priceless. After I moved from Missouri, some fellows came to my old farm to "repair my storm windows". My sole neighbor (former marine), happened to be walking down my driveway to go bird hunting and found that they didn't know my name. He and Mr. Remington waited until the Sheriff arrived.

Quote:
JMO.....If someone wants in your house they will get in. The best you can do is make it as difficult as possible without putting yourself at risk.
Amen, deter the casual thief and pray that you aren't a prime target for someone who is more resolved.

Doing a little data look-up on this subject, I read that most residential burglaries occur between 7-10 a.m. (if my data is correct), but also around 5-6 pm when burglars choose to follow a target home. That leaves me less satisfied than I thought I was with a gun by her bedside when I'm gone. So, I'm gonna finance milady's CPL. I've taken her from "no guns" thru the .22 and soda cans, to the .38 and full milk-jugs until she wants her own. When I asked what kind she would like to have she informed me that she wants "one of the shiny ones". OK, I still have some work to do
Old 02-06-2010, 00:12   #67
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
. When I asked what kind she would like to have she informed me that she wants "one of the shiny ones". OK, I still have some work to do
You might show her the shiny one.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44   #68
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Thanks...

Thanks for the advice TR
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00   #69
LarryW
Area Commander

Back in '90 in San Diego a burglar ring was busted. Their MO was to canvas the neighborhood going door-tpo-door asking people to update their canine registry..."Do you folks still have a dog? Just need to update our registry."...that sort of thing. The cops found a map with all the dogs in the neighborhood highlighted. Throu military housing and civilian housing...didn't matter. The houses with dogs weren't hit. Burglars look for the path of least resistence. It's a shoppers market for them, and unless they know you have exactly what they want they're more liable to pick the soft targets.

The home invasion scenario is more problematic. A dog can/may delay an intruder long enough for you to get to the gun. My plan if it came to that would be to come out shooting, castle law bedamned. Let 'em prove I wasn't scared for my life. (If I have time I'll put on a dress and a wig and grab a butcher knife and start yelling, "Oh. mother! What have you done!? Oh, the blood...all the blood", then run out and greet them when the dog's done. )
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:27   #70
HowardCohodas

For me, the indoor dog I had was more valuable as an alarm than a deterrent. Unfortunately, we have not replaced him because of my wife's exacerbated allergic reaction.
Old 02-06-2010, 17:28   #71
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
Exactly, again, I'm in the BTDT category here. As a 12 yr old, my assessment of the situation was "Oh Shit! Run!" No need for complications.

I've seen dogs handled successfully by the more prepared burglar, using mace. Seems that I saw "better burglars" on cases involving small business owners who are *reputed* to ease some cash out of the business and keep it at home for "tax purposes".
I came home once to find a screen window pried away from the house. At that point part of the alarm attached to the window itself was visible. End result, one bent screen window, nothing more. The systems armed/disarmed by a programmable key fob are sweet, and again, if the unit is in the closet, there is little chance that anyone else would pick up the code.

A good neighbor is priceless. After I moved from Missouri, some fellows came to my old farm to "repair my storm windows". My sole neighbor (former marine), happened to be walking down my driveway to go bird hunting and found that they didn't know my name. He and Mr. Remington waited until the Sheriff arrived.

Amen, deter the casual thief and pray that you aren't a prime target for someone who is more resolved.

Doing a little data look-up on this subject, I read that most residential burglaries occur between 7-10 a.m. (if my data is correct), but also around 5-6 pm when burglars choose to follow a target home. That leaves me less satisfied than I thought I was with a gun by her bedside when I'm gone. So, I'm gonna finance milady's CPL. I've taken her from "no guns" thru the .22 and soda cans, to the .38 and full milk-jugs until she wants her own. When I asked what kind she would like to have she informed me that she wants "one of the shiny ones". OK, I still have some work to do

Those are just some things I had running through my mind, and some first thoughts....not advice. Anyway YMMV as to right, wrong, good or bad.

Back to the topic...

My first inclination on a plan was escape with the kids. But TR gave me a scenario that change my thinking on that. I want my dog to be my trusted alarm system so I am going to try Wet Dog ideas, if that doesn't work I need to get another. When I replace the back door I'll reinforce it as I described. The kids are taking martial arts.

My plan, it is a work in progress.
Old 02-06-2010, 17:43   #72
Pete
Quiet Professional

Hypoalergenic Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
........ Unfortunately, we have not replaced him because of my wife's exacerbated allergic reaction.
You need one of those hypoalergenic (?) dogs. Poodle looking thing - small to. Ran into one the other day. Wanted to rip my leg off but couldn't get through my bluejeans. Lotta' heart but no ass - but made one heck of a lot of noise. We came to an understanding after a couple of minutes and then he was my friend.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 17:46   #73
armymom1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You need one of those hypoalergenic (?) dogs. Poodle looking thing - small to. Ran into one the other day. Wanted to rip my leg off but couldn't get through my bluejeans. Lotta' heart but no ass - but made one heck of a lot of noise. We came to an understanding after a couple of minutes and then he was my friend.
Labradoodle? or something like that half poodle and labrador?
Old 02-06-2010, 21:19   #74
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The dog we had, a Tibetan Terrier, was chosen for its hypoallergenic characteristics. Unfortunately allergy sensitivity is a moving target and my wife became more reactive as time went on.

It's my belief that many people get treated by allergists until their sensitivities change and then credit the doctor wrongly. I have doctors in the family, and they do not resist this belief with much vigor.

Last edited by HowardCohodas; 02-06-2010 at 21:23.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:51   #75
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
HC, you need to slow down and read before commenting for a while. Ready, aim, fire.
OK TR, How's This?

I think somewhere on this forum, and I can't find it now, someone recommended the book "Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong. I used bookfinder.com and paid only a small premium over original price and have been reading parts during breaks from other areas of this forum.

To the point... There is a very good section that I believe to be directly on-point to this thread titled "Families Under Attack." I thought about OCRing (Optical Character Recognition) this section and posting it here but I am generally careful about using even snippets of copyrighted material in a forum. I was in the process of contacting the author and publisher when I came across something they have already done to make this information available.

Go to Amazon.com and use the "Look Inside" feature. Search for the phrase "mortal fear." This should take you to Part V, Families Under Attack on page 163.