Old 08-24-2012, 13:51   #31
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Well, seems like the general agreement is that this DEAD snake is a Bull snake.

Appreciate it Gents.

Martin,

That is interesting. Those snakes that have the round pupils, do they have the same pupillary reaction to light as ours do or do the hunt much the same way as pit vipers do, by heat sensors?
They have the same pupillary reaction as ours and none of the indigenous non poisonous snakes have any sort of IR Sensors but some Pythons and Boas do.
Old 08-26-2012, 18:04   #32
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
after it struck at me and the stick 3 times, I said "Okay Big Boy, now I'm pissed".
I dropped the stick on the floor, and with gloved hands, reached in and got me double handfull of snake and stuffed it in an old pillow case. Released it about a mile away in a field. All ended well.....friend had the snake removed without destroying the cupboard, I didn't get bit, and the snake lived.
Nice story!

When I was a kid we hunted and killed snakes just for fun but as I got older and understood their function in life was mainly to eat small rodents and creatures I began letting them live. My son had a pet snake that got loose in the house and was not found for two years (dead under a carpet). It was just a little ringneck snake. We replaced it with an aquatic garter snake and an actual snake cage. We then had to start up an aquarium to keep the minnows for it to eat and every two weeks or so journey to the pet shop for more minnows.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 18:12   #33
alelks
Quiet Professional

A few years ago my wife went to get the mop off the back porch and sitting on top of it was a baby rattlesnake.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 21:06   #34
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Gents,
Need some help ID-ing this snake.
It was found in the basement of a friend of mine who lives just south of me in Castle Rock (Between Denver and C. Springs).
She states that the snake was "Hissing and striking" at her this morning after she went downstairs.
uh-oh .... Any idea how it got in? We do have prairie rattlesnakes in the area and rat snakes, but I have not seen one like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
No flippancy directed towards you or your friend, but-who cares as long as it's dead.
I do. I live there too
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 21:53   #35
SLVGW360
Auxiliary

Sure looks like a Bull Snake. They coil up and hiss, just like a rattlesnake does when rattling. The hiss sounds very much like rattling. If she did not see rattles then that is most assuredly what this critter was.

Even as a trained bi-golly-gist, I don't like snakes either. Some are fascinating creatures, but I'd be happy not seeing them most of the time. We have quite a few rattlers in my country. Bull snakes seem to be more numerous where the two species co-exist.
SLVGW360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 22:05   #36
cetheridge
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Nice story!
Thanks! I've never been afraid of snakes, but I damn sure respect them. When I worked as a Park Ranger, I was the person called to remove snakes, Copperheads and Rattlers mainly, from campsites. Got a lot of stories.
Favorite one is when my partner and I were on boat patrol and saw a Timber Rattler swimming across a narrow part of the lake. As we pulled along side of it, I used a boat hook to flip it into the boat with us. Imagine the surprise to my partner.
While the snake and I were dancing around the open bow of the boat, it striking at me while I deflected blows with the boat hook (quite an adrenaline rush!), my partner was standing on the console, holding on to the windshield yelling "You stupid SOB, if that snake bites me, I'm going to kill both of you". When I finally got it pinned down, I stuck my knife in it's head (didn't want cut the head off and mess up the total skin) and it went limp. Threw it in the live well (to take it home to skin it). Partner still screaming "You stupid SOB!" over and over.
Several hours later when we returned to the boathouse, he raised the well to remove the "dead rattler", and to his amazement (and mine) it was coiled and alive....he slammed the lid down and said "You can get that f##king snake yourself, you crazy SOB".
Still have the skin at home.
He and I are both retired now...had lunch together last week and laughed about that episode.....

SFA M-12786
cetheridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 21:37   #37
SOF_VET
Asset

End result...

Although I too am not a herpetologist, I concur that it most likely was a bull snake.

This thread reminded me of lessons learned at Ft. Huachuca, where horses were getting snapped at by Western Diamondbacks regularly. This is the end result of one that actually connected. For the curious 18Ds, you'll recognize that those are ET tubes maintaining his airway; however, an equine specific trach tube would have been a better choice in retrospect. They are fairly straight forward to place and maintain. Anyone living in AZ have any experiences with Mojave rattlesnakes?

Cheers,

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse1.jpg (22.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25   #38
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF_VET View Post
Although I too am not a herpetologist, I concur that it most likely was a bull snake.

This thread reminded me of lessons learned at Ft. Huachuca, where horses were getting snapped at by Western Diamondbacks regularly. This is the end result of one that actually connected. For the curious 18Ds, you'll recognize that those are ET tubes maintaining his airway; however, an equine specific trach tube would have been a better choice in retrospect. They are fairly straight forward to place and maintain. Anyone living in AZ have any experiences with Mojave rattlesnakes?

Cheers,

Dale
That was interesting to search the Mojave, I did not realize those differences. One year in High School was in Kingman, AZ where one of my friends made a nice income from trapping and from the occasional snake skins, I'll bet he would know about those differences and the aggressiveness in particular. Many of the Rattlers I ever saw were along that Southern Boarder in the Sanora Desert, to include some of the ranges near Ft. Huachuca Most Rattle snake encounters I have had here in WNC have been on the docile side, probably moisture and cooler temps? They do seek high ground and have observed them waiting under berry bushes in ambush...I can tell you the few I have seen , to include one within 6" of my wiggling Teva encased toes, never made a sound.

The first Corn Snake I saw alarmed me, it looks a little like the one in the first post but with bright orange coloring...they are harmless.

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:48   #39
mark46th
Quiet Professional

That horse is not feeling well...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09   #40
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOF_VET View Post
Anyone living in AZ have any experiences with Mojave rattlesnakes?

Cheers,

Dale
My wife volunteers at The San Pedro House across the river from us. A couple of weeks ago they found three of them staying cool under the brush. One of the other women picked one up with a hula-hoe and moved it to a more "convenient" location. They didn't live up to their rumored "aggressive" nature.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:53   #41
mark46th
Quiet Professional

There are 2 different types of Mojave rattler that I have seen, the Mojave Red, and Mojave Green. Both tend to be more slender than the coontail... I haven't had any problems with either, just give them their space...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 14:39   #42
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

We've got the Mojavie Greens in far west Texas and they are very deadly. The Greens have an extremely potent neurotoxic venom.
Old 08-28-2012, 18:16   #43
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
We've got the Mojavie Greens in far west Texas and they are very deadly. The Greens have an extremely potent neurotoxic venom.
Correct, and if I got my information right the Mojave Green was one of the last rattlesnakes that medical companies were able to develope an anti-venom for. It is also one of the most expensive.

Another point about venomous rattlers is that they don't always rattle before striking.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 18:39   #44
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Like many have said, this looks like a bull/gopher snake to me. Many subspecies with a wide distribution across the western states.