Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-18-2005, 09:46   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

TAD Gear

Does anyone have any experience with TAD gear?

I am looking into one of these Stealth Hoodies and would like some real world input. I have heard what a bunch of the internet junkies and sheeple have to say, just curious. As always, any information is greatly appreciated.

Good times,
Blake

Last edited by Air.177; 11-18-2005 at 14:04.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 13:14   #2
mumbleypeg
Guerrilla

I like TAD. When in the Bay area I go to the shop. I have bought stuff online from them as well. I have the Ranger Hoodie and a soft shell jacket. My wife has a TAD goretex jacket. I like the thought they put into their gear. The details are well worked out.

My general impression has been that Snow Boarding is a major design consideration.

Of the three TAD clothing pieces I have experience with, the soft shell hoodie is the only one with loose threads. This is only in the ribbing at the cuffs. That said, it is also my most worn piece of fleece. It has held up as well or better as gear from Arcteryx and Patagonia and Royal Robbins. If I'm going outside, my hoodie is go to gear. It has seen me through Sierra's backpacks, Arizona and Oklahoma quail hunts. A couple of duck hunts. As well as a very healthy dose of lounging. I am a civilian user. I have been happy with TAD gear.

mumbleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 13:22   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg
I like TAD. When in the Bay area I go to the shop. I have bought stuff online from them as well. I have the Ranger Hoodie and a soft shell jacket. My wife has a TAD goretex jacket. I like the thought they put into their gear. The details are well worked out.

My general impression has been that Snow Boarding is a major design consideration.

Of the three TAD clothing pieces I have experience with, the soft shell hoodie is the only one with loose threads. This is only in the ribbing at the cuffs. That said, it is also my most worn piece of fleece. It has held up as well or better as gear from Arcteryx and Patagonia and Royal Robbins. If I'm going outside, my hoodie is go to gear. It has seen me through Sierra's backpacks, Arizona and Oklahoma quail hunts. A couple of duck hunts. As well as a very healthy dose of lounging. I am a civilian user. I have been happy with TAD gear.

Thanks Much, this is the kind of Info I am looking for. I could Give a damn about Snowboarding, but all of your uses are right in line with my intended uses. My standard hoody has served me well for the last two years, but it is getting a bit rough for some intended uses. (Like ever going out in public and not being mistaken for joe shit the ragman) Much appreciated
Old 11-18-2005, 13:26   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have bought gear from them before, and other than their location, have no issues with them.

You need to fix your link and put the 'd' in tadgear.com.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 14:04   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
I have bought gear from them before, and other than their location, have no issues with them.

You need to fix your link and put the 'd' in tadgear.com.

TR

thanks Sir, Done
Old 11-18-2005, 18:19   #6
DDD
Quiet Professional

I have purchased from TD gear before and will again, Mick Strider says they're GTG and that's good enough for me.
DDD
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:28   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Blake,
I have dealt with TAD on several occasions. They are great and their customer service has always been excellent as far as I'm concerned.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13   #8
Endorphin Rush
Guerrilla

Blake,

Ditto what NDD said, and some of their gear is offered at prices that you won't see elsewhere. Can't speak for any of their clothing, but the items that I've purchased, in which TADgear collaborated with others, is top notch.
"Think thou that these magnificent, victorious Legionnaires became what they are through some arbitrary stroke of fortune? Nay! They do not sit around congratulating themselves in the wake of each victory. They spend every moment refining and improving their craft. Without apology, they pursue excellence. Each one knows and understands that he alone stands between the empire and oblivion. Watch them! Indeed, they appear to have been born with weapons in their hands!"
Endorphin Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52   #9
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Thanks all for the information, Looks Like I will be ordering the jacket shortly. I will review it at a later date.

Good times,
Blake
Old 11-21-2005, 18:50   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Are you getting the new jacket coming out in Dec? I have one of the previous models. Best jacket I ever bought. I'm looking hard at the new one. The soft-shell, not the hoody.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-21-2005, 18:59   #11
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Are you getting the new jacket coming out in Dec? I have one of the previous models. Best jacket I ever bought. I'm looking hard at the new one. The soft-shell, not the hoody.
I'm looking at the new Stealth Softshell/Hoody/whatever the hell they call it. I have a Hoody that I got at the Olympic training center a coupla years ago that is the single best piece of equipment I have ever had, but it is getting long in the tooth for everyday wear and needs to be replaced. To answer your question, the link in my first post is the one that I am talking about.
Old 11-21-2005, 20:17   #12
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Yeah, same one I am looking at. I have the black one they sold last year - great jacket.

I need to get a damn dictionary of gear queer terms.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 11-21-2005, 20:29   #13
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Yeah, same one I am looking at. I have the black one they sold last year - great jacket.

I need to get a damn dictionary of gear queer terms.

Technically, I think you are correct, the newest jacket they are offering is not actually a hoody (to my thinking anyway) I consider it more of a light jacket, but hey I guess they design and build the stuff, they can call it what they want. I'll let you know more details about it as soon as I have them myself.

Good Times,
Blake
Old 01-16-2006, 20:54   #14
Air.177
Quiet Professional

OK, I placed the order for this jacket the day before Christmas eve and got the jacket via UPS on or about the 30th of December, I found this to be acceptable delivery time considering the time of year. TADgear's folks have been polite and informative every time I have called with questions and they did a great job moving a ton of stuff in a very short period over the holidays.

I have not had a chance to test it's water repellant properties due to our current weather conditions (reminiscent of the Gobi Desert only with more fire and fewer Mongolians) I will say that the Schoeller Softshell fabric does stop wind remarkably well.

The Jacket is overall very well made, I find it to be cut a bit slim in the torso, but not uncomfortably so. For my purposes (and due to my cold nature) I prefer to layer underneath the softshell in any temp below about 45 degrees. I do not find it to be the warmest thing I own in and of itself, but it is an acceptable outer layer for most anything I will be doing.

The handwarmer pockets are located a bit higher than normal to allow use while wearing a rucksack waistbelt, my only complaint about the handwarmer pockets is that when they are opened to warm hands, they allow a draft straight through the thin mesh lining of the pockets and into the torso area of the wearer. There are plenty of pockets on in this jacket, one on each shoulder, two handwarmer pockets (with smaller internal pocket in each that fits a Swiss Army knife perfectly) on the front and a small pocket on the left wrist for carrying lightweight, thin items such as IDs or Keys. There are Velcro patches on each shoulder for displaying your logo of the moment if you so desire.

The hood is very unobtrusive when stowed and quite low profile when used. The thumbholes in the wrists are kind of a mystery to me, I find them awkward to use and they allow a draft when not in use, I am sure there are those who like them, I personally do not particularly care for them.

Basically, if you are looking for a well made, lightweight, weather resistant outer shell, this is a good way to go. I find it to be comparable in price to similar products from Cloudveil, The North Face, etc. and constructed every bit as well if not a bit better than mainstream products. I also like to be a bit different and the limited production numbers of this softshell always cause gear heads to wig out and ask questions when they see it. (Always draws a crowd at REI and Backwoods)

That is all for now, Speak up if you have questions

Good times,
blake
Old 01-16-2006, 21:28   #15
vsvo
Area Commander

Nice jacket and nice review. Thanks Blake.
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote