Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00   #1
Odin21
Asset

Perscription glasses/sunglasses transition options

I have searched through several threads on eyewear and have not found this discussed but if I missed it somewhere please let me know.

I wear glasses because the "E" on the eye chart looks like a dark blob. I have deployed once to Iraq and am getting ready to go to Afghanistan. Does anyone else have issues transitioning from glasses to sunglasses and what have your solutions been? I never even thought about the issue until we were doing urban training and I stacked on the door, entered the room, and then could not see squat because it was much darker in the room than outside and I still had on my Rx sunglasses. It took me several seconds of standing there looking like an idiot trying to get my ballistics off (with the nerd strap on under my ACH) and change into normal glasses so I could see inside. The other issue that I still have not quite resolved is sunglasses and glasses in a PT uniform. I don't think that you are supposed to leave your glasses on your head and wear your sunglasses, you can't just hang your glasses on your T-shirt like in civilian clothes, I was told that I cannot mount a glasses case to my combat glow belt, etc. The other solution is simply to carry them in your hand everywhere you go, but that limits your options of being able to carry anything else and still be able to salute, open a door, etc. I would have never thought there was this much going into having two pair of glasses, but I was mistaken evidently. The good news is that I am sure that I am not the first guy to run into this issue. Any ideas or personal past experience is greatly appreciated.

The reason that I posted this in the "Professional Gear" forum is that I saw some removable UV lens covers a long time ago and was wondering if anyone knew what they were. It was a pair of clear lens ballistics that could have the Rx inserts but had different color "films" for lack of a better phrase that stuck on the outside of the ballistics. You could have the "smoke" sticker on and when you went to go inside or it got dark it just peeled off and was supposedly very reusable. This seems like a beautiful solution, but I don't know who made them, if they were any good, etc.

The other option that I have seen and considered is simply replacing the "smoke" issued lens with a yellow one Sawfly or ICE have. It is my understanding that yellow is not really authorized even though they conform to the same safety rating, but some of the guys in my unit have them and no one has said anything because yellow allows you UV protection outside but still allows you to see inside. Is that correct?

Thank you all for your time and advice.
Odin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 20:48   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

Have you considered flip-ups?

http://www.fishusa.com/Cocoons-Flip-...glasses_p.html
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 22:45   #3
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Take a look at Liquid Eyewear's Hellfire model. Not only do they do Rx, they do transitions that are also ANSI rated. Call and ask them about them as they are a military specific model and don't show up on the website. Something to keep in mind is that there isn't a ANSI rated transition lens out there thats gonna go from dark to light the moment you walk into a dark room, they all take varying amounts of time to lighten despite what some marketing may lead you to believe. Also keep in mind that any transition lens that also includes an in frame Rx is gonna cost more than your average sunglasses. With that said, I think you will be hard pressed to find a better and more durable pair of Rx sunglasses that are 100% made in the USA and come with a unconditional warranty.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 00:04   #4
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

I too concur with the fact that Transition lenses won't swap quickly between dark and light.

If you want to keep eyepro on, then you'll need to just "deal" with swapping at the LCC between your sunglasses and your clear lenses.

If you wear the strap for your dark lenses under your bucket you can just yank them down and let them hang out since they won't be going anywhere. Or, have a "various BS pouch" and wear your dark lenses with earpieces.

I used one of these:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/pouche...-purpose-pouch

and it was easy enough to unsnap, put my dark lenses earpieces down, close the flap and re-secure. My clear lenses would sit in the same spot.
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14   #5
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Flip-ups are the answer

I had a ongoing problem out in the field, in that I like to look through binoculars and telescopic sights without any sunglass or prescription lens in between. However, I need to use PX lenses now to see at long range. My shooting experience became a juggling joke . Between using the binoculars to find the prey, then dropping the binos and putting on the PX glasses to follow it, then taking them off to shoot, it was often noisy and clumsy. A pair of clip on PX tinted glasses, with no glass in the spectacle itself enables me to instantly convert to bare-eye for magnification from PX tinted. If you like to shoot with PX, then your spectacle has clear PX and the flip-up is simply tinted. A great improvement would be a spring-mounted flip-up that you could actuate with a press of a button on the side of the spectacle, but I cant find an oculist who can do this for me.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would recommend taking off the sunglasses and putting on your clear eye pro prior to CQBing.

Do you really need the sunglasses for a medical condition?

What is your MOS?

Is your unit going to be doing a lot of clearing?

Have you considered corrective eye surgery by the Army?

Just a few thoughts.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 13:18   #7
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I would recommend taking off the sunglasses and putting on your clear eye pro prior to CQBing.

Do you really need the sunglasses for a medical condition?

What is your MOS?

Is your unit going to be doing a lot of clearing?

Have you considered corrective eye surgery by the Army?

Just a few thoughts.

TR
TR

I have cataracts in both eyes,and because I've got diabetes,I'm permitted to get my eye exam every year,mostly to monitor for diabetes related problems......... Not for glasses...... However,they(VA)refuses to correct the cataract situation because they said as long as I can pass an eye exam to get my drivers license ,their criteria states a cataract operation is not required...........I went for a second opinion(cost me $80) and was told I absolutely need the operation ASAP........... Go figure.....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 23:07   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
TR

I have cataracts in both eyes,and because I've got diabetes,I'm permitted to get my eye exam every year,mostly to monitor for diabetes related problems......... Not for glasses...... However,they(VA)refuses to correct the cataract situation because they said as long as I can pass an eye exam to get my drivers license ,their criteria states a cataract operation is not required...........I went for a second opinion(cost me $80) and was told I absolutely need the operation ASAP........... Go figure.....

Big Teddy
T:

You are not on active duty anymore, are you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 03-11-2012, 07:08   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
T:

You are not on active duty anymore, are you?

TR
TR

I'm puzzled by your question,and not sure what you're driving at,but NO,hell NO,I'm 75 years old now,however I was promised eye support supposedly for life,because of the diabetes ....... Are you implying that because I'm not in the service on duty anymore I shouldn't except the same VA assistance as a recent soldier that's been wounded should get? ..........I'd don't get the question................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
TR

I'm puzzled by your question,and not sure what you're driving at,but NO,hell NO,I'm 75 years old now,however I was promised eye support supposedly for life,because of the diabetes ....... Are you implying that because I'm not in the service on duty anymore I shouldn't except the same VA assistance as a recent soldier that's been wounded should get? ..........I'd don't get the question................

Big Teddy
The OP is an AD soldier asking for help in the gear forum with vision and optical issues.

I am not sure what VA decisions and your treatment have to do with that.

If you are unhappy with your VA treatment now, wait a few years. There are a lot of promises about to be broken even further. That would be a great topic for another thread.

Back to the OP and possible help for Galen and his issues.

TR

Old 03-12-2012, 15:55   #11
Odin21
Asset

Answer to The Reaper

I am a combat medic in an MP company in the Guard. I have no clue how much room clearing we will be doing. No, I do not have to wear sunglasses for a medical problem, I just am used to my creature comforts I guess. There are medical issues that can occur from being in an area that is too bright for too long without proper eye protection, but I think that would apply more to the open deserts of Iraq than to the mountains of Afghanistan. I have not been there yet so please correct me if I am wrong. I do think that if we are doing any sort of urban stuff I will just stick with clear lenses for simplicity's sake, but I am going to look into the flip ups for FOB wear if I can figure out a way to get by with it in 670-1. If not I will defiantly look into the other ones Papa Zero Three mentioned. I have thought about corrective surgery, but I am not AD right now so I think that is going to have to wait a few years until I finish up all my school stuff and go AD. if anyone knows of a way to get the surgery done while a Guardsman is on AD orders that would be awesome, but I think that is not an option due to "budget concerns". Thank you guys for your time and assistance.
Odin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 15:23   #12
lonetlan
Asset

Heres what I do. Think about it...

I'm the new 11B, so I'm the number 1 or 2 guy in the stack. I wear glasses aswell. When patrolling, I got on RX sun glasses. When we come up to a building that needs to be searched, I switch to my prescription glasses outside, it takes a brief moment to do so, and my eyes take a minute or so to adjust. After the building is clear, I switch to my RX sunglasses when time permits. My "BS bag" is an empty IFAK pouch. If you use this as a method to carry random stuff, please be sure to mark your actual IFAK bag with a red cross as not to confuse the CLS or medic. My sunglasses are the standard issue Revision with prescription inserts.

You have plenty of time before and after clearing a building to fix your eye situation.

See if your guard can do some battle drills(if they still know them), this way you will get used to working with your gear, and your team will be able to work with you to complete the mission.

Last edited by lonetlan; 04-29-2012 at 13:02. Reason: FORGOT THE RX Sunglasses
lonetlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:00   #13
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetlan View Post
I'm the new 11B, so I'm the number 1 or 2 guy in the stack. I wear glasses aswell. When patrolling, I got on sun glasses. When we come up to a building that needs to be searched, I switch to my prescription glasses outside, it takes a brief moment to do so, and my eyes take a minute or so to adjust.

You have plenty of time before and after clearing a building to fix your eye situation.

This is some of the worst advice I have read on this forum yet. LONE, you are not qualified, experienced, and certified to provide information to anyone on this board concerning CQB, patrolling, or training. From your post you demonstrate HORRIBLE common sense if you do not patrol with your prescription glasses on. You qualified with your weapon wearing them right? Now go stick your nose in a corner and stop posting!

Odin, from a former PLT Ldr and ODA Team Leader's point of view, if you could not work in a desert environment without sunglasses you wouldn't even make it off the FOB. Consider the second and third order effects of your disability before you put the soldier to your left and right in harms way.

Lonetlan, do push ups until I post again,,,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:59   #14
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
Take a look at Liquid Eyewear's Hellfire model. Not only do they do Rx, they do transitions that are also ANSI rated. Call and ask them about them as they are a military specific model and don't show up on the website. Something to keep in mind is that there isn't a ANSI rated transition lens out there thats gonna go from dark to light the moment you walk into a dark room, they all take varying amounts of time to lighten despite what some marketing may lead you to believe. Also keep in mind that any transition lens that also includes an in frame Rx is gonna cost more than your average sunglasses. With that said, I think you will be hard pressed to find a better and more durable pair of Rx sunglasses that are 100% made in the USA and come with a unconditional warranty.
I wear Liquid "Gaskets/w RX Inserts" for jumping (Sport Type) and they are GREAT. I did have a problem on a sunrise load a few months ago. As we climbed to altitude, it got brighter and brighter. The Transition Lenses kept up with the ascent rate, but when we left the aircraft the rate of descent was way faster than the lenses could adjust to. Basically I went from glaring sunlight rapidly into darkness!! After opening, everything was OK until it came down to landing. I had ZERO depth of field because the lenses were still so dark and I flaired really high and just sank in!! A friend that I jumped with videoed my landing and you can hear crickets in the audio, it was that dark still!!

Transitions are OK for a natural sunrise or set, but they are really too slow for anything else!!

Later
Martin
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34   #15
Pete
Quiet Professional

Transitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
.........Transitions are OK for a natural sunrise or set, but they are really too slow for anything else!!

Later
Martin
I thought Transitions sounded pretty cool and got a pair years ago. They're fine for casual in and outs of buildings but I like the others here found them too slow to transition when you're working. I replaced them after a year.

Oddly enough, I'm starting to like my balistic yellow shooting glasses more and more as "all rounders". They work well in all light levels - except bright noon time levels and can really crisp up contrast in the mornings, evenings and fog/rain.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote