Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 09-14-2017, 17:21   #16
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Deja vu all over again. I was in the class behind the phase III class back in 1970 that killed 6 students and an instructor.

An instructor teaching a demo class was slapping a block of C4 in his hands while addressing the students up in the bleachers, telling them that military explosives would not detonate from shock....he then hit the explosive on the table and at the same time an explosive was set off down range, which made the students all jump.
The explosive was set off by attaching the explosive charges to a jeep battery behind the bleachers. The electrical line was never removed from the jeep battery, so as the students attached their explosives to the ring main and the instructor completed the circuit they were all killed.

There were several medic students who terminated due to the M5 bag at the range not having adequate supplies to enable them to try and save any lives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bragg blast.JPG (181.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Bragg blast 2.JPG (125.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Bragg blast 3.JPG (116.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 18:12   #17
Pete
Quiet Professional

As per the FayOb it was one killed and 7 injured.

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/2017...-on-fort-bragg

"...Staff Sgt. Alexander P. Dalida, 32, of Dunstable, Massachusetts, died during the demolition training that was part of the Special Forces Qualification Course, according to U.S. Army Special Operations Command. The cause of death is under investigation..."

RIP SSG Dalida
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 18:25   #18
LarryW
Area Commander

RIP, and may God cherish every tear.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 18:58   #19
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Range 69, Coleman Demo, I heard.

Prayers out.

TR
Prayers out to all ......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:56   #20
trinity
Auxiliary

Praying for all involved.
trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 15:26   #21
frostfire
Area Commander

My condolences, and prayers out

Never an easy answer.

HME: shock, friction, heat, and static sensitive.
Got flashback to my burn ward rotation, and post blast investigation class

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 15:09   #22
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
Deja vu all over again. I was in the class behind the phase III class back in 1970 that killed 6 students and an instructor.

An instructor teaching a demo class was slapping a block of C4 in his hands while addressing the students up in the bleachers, telling them that military explosives would not detonate from shock....he then hit the explosive on the table and at the same time an explosive was set off down range, which made the students all jump.
The explosive was set off by attaching the explosive charges to a jeep battery behind the bleachers. The electrical line was never removed from the jeep battery, so as the students attached their explosives to the ring main and the instructor completed the circuit they were all killed.

There were several medic students who terminated due to the M5 bag at the range not having adequate supplies to enable them to try and save any lives.
Dean-

That was my Phase III class. That afternoon we were divided into 3 groups. I was in the next to last group that detonated our charges. We moved out to the next training station. The third and last group of the day was the group affected. There was no car battery involved. The ring charge was detonated by the instructor with a hand-held crank detonator. At the time of the incident the instructor had merely connected the last lead to the detonator and the charges, still being held and placed by some of the students, went off.

The explanation for this was under investigation for some time. There were a lot of BS theories and recitations of "facts" as you can imagine. I believe that the official reason for the early detonation was build up of residual static charge from the previous detonations. Merely closing the circuit was sufficient to allow current to flow into the detonators - and BOOM! This explanation is most consistent with the reality that I saw.

There was a medical cadre on site along with an ambulance. I don't believe any deficiency in the medical response was determined. We lost one of our medics in our class (Ray Schnicke). He and Buddy Richmond were very close and Buddy was inconsolable. Buddy, Steve Yevich, John Cavianni and I were in the second group and we rushed back, but all we could do was get in the way of the cadre, medics were on scene and responding appropriately.

There were no terminations of the students in our class as a result of the lack of medical supplies or any other lack of appropriate response reason. The only termination of a medic (my class) that I am aware of was one due to injuries received.

IIRC, there were 4 (maybe 6 or 7) fatalities. That following Sunday there was a memorial service at the Chapel on Smoke Bomb Hill. Very, very sad and emotional.

Last edited by Trapper John; 09-17-2017 at 10:25.
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 17:20   #23
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:

I was in that class and there were 8 fatalities in that explosion. SP4 Cosner in the explosion died a few days later. His father gave the eulogy at the chapel and was given notice that his son had died in the middle of the eulogy. But he soldiered on.

The ring that blew up was the second from the right and I just moved to the ring on the farthest right a couple minutes prior to the incident. TNT was being used at that training module. I still don't know why it went off but somebody's not saying. I never heard any positive answer but am sure it wasn't a jeep battery connection.

I was totally impressed with the medic trainees at the scene. I never heard of any medics getting the boot for improprieties. They were very professional. Same with the EVAC helicopters.

Praying for the victims of this blast. Even training can be deadly with this stuff.
Chucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 21:22   #24
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I was in that class and there were 8 fatalities in that explosion. SP4 Cosner in the explosion died a few days later. His father gave the eulogy at the chapel and was given notice that his son had died in the middle of the eulogy. But he soldiered on.

The ring that blew up was the second from the right and I just moved to the ring on the farthest right a couple minutes prior to the incident. TNT was being used at that training module. I still don't know why it went off but somebody's not saying. I never heard any positive answer but am sure it wasn't a jeep battery connection.

I was totally impressed with the medic trainees at the scene. I never heard of any medics getting the boot for improprieties. They were very professional. Same with the EVAC helicopters.

Praying for the victims of this blast. Even training can be deadly with this stuff.

Chucko, I spoke with a guy that told me he had just turned and was walking away when the explosion went off. That may have been you? I knew Pucket and Cosner who were both with the 19th SFG and Kingsley who was an avid skydiver and member of the GB Skydiving club. I knew two of the other guys but don't recall their names.

One of the medics told me he was trying to give the instructor a tracheotomy and he kept knocking him away with the stump of his arm.

TJ, I stand corrected since I was not there and only got second hand information from people that claimed to be there, but I heard from several people that Medics frustrated over the incident quit.
Old 09-16-2017, 21:29   #25
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Dean-

That was my Phase III class. That afternoon we were divided into 3 groups. I was in the next to last group that detonated our charges. We moved out to the next training station. The third and last group of the day was the group affected. There was no car battery involved. The ring charge was detonated by the instructor with a hand-held crank detonator. At the time of the incident the instructor had merely connected the last lead to the detonator and the charges, still being held and placed by some of the students, went off.

The explanation for this was under investigation for some time. There were a lot of BS theories and recitations of "facts" as you can imagine. I believe that the official reason for the early detonation was build up of residual static charge from the previous detonations. Merely closing the circuit was sufficient to allow current to flow into the detonators - and BOOM! This explanation is most consistent with the reality that I saw.

There was a medical cadre on site along with an ambulance. I don't believe any deficiency in the medical response was determined. We lost one of our medics in our class (Ray Schnicke). He and Buddy Richmond were very close and Buddy was inconsolable. Buddy, Steve Yevich, John Cavianni and I were in the second group and we rushed back, but all we could do was get in the way of the cadre medics on scene and responding appropriately.

There were no terminations of the students in our class as a result of the lack of medical supplies or any other lack of appropriate response reason. The only termination of a medic (my class) that I am aware of was one due to injuries received.

IIRC, there were 4 (maybe 6 or 7) fatalities. That following Sunday there was a memorial service at the Chapel on Smoke Bomb Hill. Very, very sad and emotional.

TJ, Chucko, do you recall if the story of the instructor pounding the table with the explosive was true and that a charge was set off down range?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51   #26
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
TJ, Chucko, do you recall if the story of the instructor pounding the table with the explosive was true and that a charge was set off down range?
I don't recall pounding on the table with C4 way at the beginning and have a charge go off for shock value. Not that it didn't happen to get our attention.

Last edited by Chucko; 09-17-2017 at 06:57.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19   #27
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Dean - like Chucko, I don't recall that either. Also, as to the comment that several medics quit do to their frustration, I don't think that was the case as I said earlier. Yes, there was frustration to put it mildly, me included, as most of us were blocked out of the scene by the cadre. That was probably a good command decision as the medical response was adequate for the situation, otherwise this could have turned into a giant clusterf'k!

I can't verify Chucko's story re: the treatment of the instructor. I have my doubts though as this sounds like it has been played up over time. First of all, no medic trainee would be attempting a "tracheotomy"! We were trained to perform a crichothyroidotomy.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:59   #28
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Dean - like Chucko, I don't recall that either. Also, as to the comment that several medics quit do to their frustration, I don't think that was the case as I said earlier. Yes, there was frustration to put it mildly, me included, as most of us were blocked out of the scene by the cadre. That was probably a good command decision as the medical response was adequate for the situation, otherwise this could have turned into a giant clusterf'k!

I can't verify Chucko's story re: the treatment of the instructor. I have my doubts though as this sounds like it has been played up over time. First of all, no medic trainee would be attempting a "tracheotomy"! We were trained to perform a crichothyroidotomy.
TJ. I have no specific idea and I don't believe I mentioned who was treating the instructor or any of the other injured other than the medics came out from the other rings...quickly. An assumption on my part was they were students and a couple cadre. I could be wrong and they could have been all cadre...I don't know. I was a weapons guy also don't know if it was a tracheotomy or a crichothyroidotomy. Even until today I never heard of acrichothyroidotomy. But I know every soldier was scurrying around doing their best.

I left ring 11 and moved to 12 about 2 minutes prior or as long as it takes to wire some explosives together because mine was done and laying at my feet. Then all of a sudden a big explosion drove me about 15 feet and surprisingly I never fell down.

I turned and looked very briefly then I started running away from the rings because I thought all of them were going to pop, but 50' later I stopped and soaked the vision up and then started returning, very slowly. I wanted to help but I didn't know what to do other than watch the agony unfold until the cadre shooed us back to the stands.

The guys I knew in that group best were Kingsley, Puckett, Pierce, Bible, Cosner and the others not so much.

Of the couple closer friends I had in ring 12, one was a high school friend from WI. I went through basic through SF training with. The last time I talked to him was 45 years ago. I just talked to him a couple months ago when I stumbled across his dog tags in my stuff and we talked about this very ordeal.

Last edited by Chucko; 09-17-2017 at 22:20.
Old 12-12-2017, 15:17   #29
Chucko
Guerrilla

Any Updates on the September explosion yet?

Any updates on this September explosion? Maybe someone who lives around there might know something unless it was just slipped under the rug.

I know the Army is slow but for crying out loud, they should have an answer by now as to what went wrong.

I'm beginning to think they may not know what they are doing. Nawww.
Old 12-12-2017, 16:04   #30
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
Any updates on this September explosion? Maybe someone who lives around there might know something unless it was just slipped under the rug.

I know the Army is slow but for crying out loud, they should have an answer by now as to what went wrong.

I'm beginning to think they may not know what they are doing. Nawww.

We know what happened.