Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-04-2013, 16:55   #31
556 Shooter
Asset

Has anyone used the Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs?

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
556 Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33   #32
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Old thread but looking for an all in one aviation and shooting set.....

It's time for me to get both a new aviation headset and muffs for shooting. Thought I might try and get something that fills both roles as I value my hearing and sucks dropping cash on two items if one will fit the bill. I've worn all kinds of aviation headsets and prefer fitted earmolds that connect to the boom for lightweight comfort, but clarity takes a hit and I usually end up breaking something on them because the noise canceling ones are pretty expensive and not very durable.

I used ear molds in conjunction with various cheap muffs for shooting until I tried out some electronic ones and no going back after that. Now I'm stuck buying two sets of expensive headsets for two different needs but thought I would seek some advise here before I decide what to buy.

I'm open to all suggestions (There are most likely many options out there that I'm not aware of because they don't market them as aviation). Here is a short list of what I'm looking for not in specific order:

1) Comfort is high on the list as they are used a lot.
2) Same note as comfort, low profile preferred to take up less space and be lighter. 3) Something that does well in the heat. Ear gells are great, but I remember an old set of David Clark's I had with ear gels that were huge and the real memory was the sweat pouring down my face on those AZ summer flights in a POS AC heading into the sun. (That's why I prefer earmolds for comfort, but will sacrifice for a muff type again if they compensate in other areas).
4) Two way communication is obviously required (Doubt I'll ever have the need to use them with portable radios, but having the capability is always nice) so they would need to have standard aviation plugs or at least an adaptor.
5) Good boom is a must and noise canceling a plus.
6) Not planning on wearing a helmet (Unless the FAA comes out with another genius rule) with them so even though I prefer a lightweight or low profile, it has nothing to do with helmet compatibility.
7) More options the better. If I can hook up a phone or music player to them, it would be an added bonus.

That's about it. I fly a relatively quiet jet, so hearing protection would be mostly a concern when shooting. I'll end up buying an expensive set of Peltors or similar with no comm ability and a separate set for aviation again unless anyone has any suggestions. I don't need anything tactical (I have tons of camo wrap, so everything I own can be converted to tacticool in seconds ). I actually like camo stuff, but mine must all be faulty because people still see it somehow.

Appreciate any info if such a creature even exists.

Thanks,

Mike
mdpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I have been very happy with my MSA Sordin ear pro.

They have versions with multiple jacks for input as well as provisions for a mic.

The sound amplification and noise reduction is very good for that type of headset.

They seem to be durable enough for guys on tactical vehicles and out in the field.

They are not cheap though.

Hope that helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13   #34
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I have owned Peltors, and you could not pay me to own another pair of those. Nothing but problems.

MSA/Sordins all the way. I love mine and have never had an issue with them. Good for outside for short barreled 5.56 and .308. For indoors, I would double up and also wear plugs. But you really want to do that with any muffs.

Do the Sordins cost more? Yep. But what's your hearing worth? Once you've damaged your hearing, that's it. I wish that as a younger man, I had been more diligent about protecting my ears. Now, tinnitus.

DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 19:49   #35
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

I'm sold.....one more question......

Cost is not really an issue as it is a required item for my job. If I can enjoy it outside of work, that's a huge bonus.

Thanks again for the input on the sordins. I've been looking at the various models and reviews. The neckband version seem like they would be more comfortable for long durations and practical (Wear under a hat or whatever) but some reviews complained they didn't provide a good seal. Did anyone have experience or input on the neckband Vs. the regular headband? I plan to use foam plugs with them when shooting indoors regardless and most likely when shooting anything not suppressed.

Thanks again,

Mike

Last edited by mdpatterson; 12-06-2014 at 17:04. Reason: Researched options follow up question....
Old 02-12-2015, 06:27   #36
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Purchased and exactly what I was looking for....

Thanks again for the responses. I went through SRS and they helped me pick the model specific to my needs. Paid a little more through them than ebay or Amazon, but well worth it for the advice and warranty (Not to mention the fact they are not going to be a Chinese knockoff).

Mike
Old 02-12-2015, 06:30   #37
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpatterson View Post
Thanks again for the responses. I went through SRS and they helped me pick the model specific to my needs. Paid a little more through them than ebay or Amazon, but well worth it for the advice and warranty (Not to mention the fact they are not going to be a Chinese knockoff).

Mike
What model did you go for??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:52   #38
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Supreme pro X neckband....

Got the gel ear seal kit with them in green as I didn't think I would need the multicam version and the black are more expensive for some reason. Only a bit more than the supreme pro IV and come with a five year warranty. That alone was worth the $30 extra. They'll be used primarily for shooting, but they do have an aviation upgrade if I ever decided to go that route. I used custom plugs with the volume up and they work great indoors. Very comfortable and could easily wear all day. Decided to try and see how they work with a telex 5x5 in ear with boom underneath and besides breaking the seal slightly they work with that too. Overall, they are exactly what I was looking for.