Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-05-2014, 14:26   #1
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Small Tactical Vehicle

PSM has suggested that I post a picture of a mini jeep that I built for my grandkids. This is classified as a backyard assault vehicle light, lol.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 04-19-2014 at 07:17.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 14:33   #2
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Really nice work!

What did you use as its base?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 15:02   #3
koz
Quiet Professional

Gotta show more pics than that. Looks like fun
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 17:31   #4
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

It's made of exterior grade plywood built from plans. The hardware was bought from a company in Minnesota who also makes kits and plans for several other types of vehicles. I chose to buy the nine sheets of 3/4 inch plywood locally at Home Depot instead of the $900 for their body kit.

The engine is a 5hp Kohler, 4 stroke, chain drive. The gear ratio is very low so only give about 6mph. I figure that slow enough to catch the grandkid that decides to take it down the road to see his girlfriend.

I'd given some thought to building small M5 Stuart Tank when time permits. It would use a similar drive system and would give me a chance to attend veterans parades.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 04-19-2014 at 07:17.
Old 01-05-2014, 18:04   #5
tonyz
Area Commander

STV

Beautiful work - lucky kids !

Although, I suspect you feel that you are the one who is lucky.

You are all blessed.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12   #6
albeham
Quiet Professional

Sweet!!!

AL
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
It's made of exterior grade plywood built from plans. The hardware was bought from a company in Minnesota who also makes kits and plans for several other types of vehicles.

Outstanding...

Joe, Could you post the company web site? My 8yo g-kid wants a truck, but all the stores carry are toy car/trucks for 4-5 yo's. They are to small. Next step up seems to be golf carts.. Your jeep looks like it fits in between..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:17   #8
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Outstanding...

Joe, Could you post the company web site? My 8yo g-kid wants a truck, but all the stores carry are toy car/trucks for 4-5 yo's. They are to small. Next step up seems to be golf carts.. Your jeep looks like it fits in between..
Heck, I want one for ME!

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 22:02   #9
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Gentlemen,

The info is as follows:

C F Struck Corp.
Box 307
Cedarburg, WI. 53012
www.Struck-Kit.com

The jeep took me about a year to build so for a healthy guy maybe 3 months. It was great fun teaching the grandkids how to use the tools needed for the project. The 4 year old loved to paint everything including the floor, garage door and my toolbox, lol.

This thing is a lot bigger than it appears...it comes in somewhere around 800 lbs.
Old 01-06-2014, 22:19   #10
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

JJ,

You might want to buy the plans and see if you can modify them. I would like to see a mini deuce and half or 5 quarter.

I really like the idea of building some sort of tracked vehicle but that's down the road. Maybe a M-5 Stuart, M-113 or M-114.

I've been working on a gyroplane design for 4 years and I want to finish it before moving to the next project.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31   #11
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

I want to thank everyone for the kudos for the mini jeep.

Now, for a more serious question about the use of SF's small tactical vehicles. What has brought about the use of these vehicles instead of Hummers or Mraps in SWA? They have no protection and, I'm guessing, less X-country ability. However, they do seem to be much more air-transportable.

If you were to build or buy a good E&E vehicle what would it be? It would need the ability to carry a couple of bug out boxes and a couple of folks in bad terrain.
Old 01-12-2014, 13:29   #12
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
If you were to build or buy a good E&E vehicle what would it be?
Moderators, this should be split off to a new Thread.

TATQ, it depends on the environment - i.e. how far you need to go, how much/many you need to carry, how fast/long, etc.

Many who have looked at this have stated in decreasing order of preference a 4x4 vehicle, a dirt bike of at least 100cc, a mountain bike.

For us, a grocery cart or family car will get us (safely) to our intermediate/cache point. From there, all three travel options are available to make our way the 70 miles necessary to exit this urban center to a small, like-minded community where there are a half-dozen negotiated safe houses. Becoming involved in the Recall efforts has opened many, many doors.

Of course YMMV...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 14:56   #13
x SF med
Quiet Professional

the Stuart would need a higher hp engine with a little more torque, as would the M113... or maybe a small diesel engine for them, gots to be able to climb in either one of the tracked vehicles.

Nice work on the jeep.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28   #14
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

x SF Med,

You are correct about a larger torgue engine. I was thinking about a Briggs or Kohler 25 hp engine from the National Hydraulics catalog. The steering would through a Borg Warner T10 skid steer transmission with a 40 hp rating. The tracks would be made from 24" conveyor belts with bolted on cleats for drive and traction.

If it were to be used in an E&E event, I would think it would need an all terrain capability. It would be logical that roads would be blocked and impassible due to the mass exodus.