Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-07-2005, 22:53   #16
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Java Guy
I took them out into the mountains around Vegas a few days ago. 6 mile round trip up to Turtlehead peak. 1900 foot gain in elevation the last 1/3 of it. Mostly scree and gravel with big sandstone boulders and a 40ft wall to climb. Went up with a 55lb Kifaru Zulu on. After getting back down went for a 2 mile run with the pack on.
On a side note, did you encounter any of those notorious mountain lions & were you prepared in case of contact?.... I wonder what that 55lb pack contained?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 00:16   #17
That Java Guy
Quiet Professional

No lions but I was prepared for them I went hiking with a guy that I could outrun

I brought a lot of water (5 L) some chow, a Jetboil stove, MSR titanium Kettle, instant cider and coco, a Kifaru Parahootch, heavyweight wool top and windbreaker, extra socks, panel marker, folding saw, strobe, lighter, Gerber multi tool, cellphone, medi kit, Miox and water filter, camera with extra batteries, space blanket - that's about it I think.

Dan
That Java Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:15   #18
magician
Quiet Professional

I love this shit.

Do the Parahootch and the hammock, next, brother.

magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:33   #19
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Java-
I split the thread off to a new thread for your hammock review. It deserved its own thread as it was a very good review. I didn't want it to become lost in this Bates boot thread.
-Saca

Link to new thread: Review of hammock http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ead.php?t=5552

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-08-2005 at 09:01.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03   #20
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Good morning Mel, This kind of relates to boots and I'll keep this hijack short (Sorry Java Guy). First, I thought you had that hardened look about you Mel.

I spent 10 seasons logging in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon, this was back when I was a skinny kid at 220 lbs. I wrapped many chokers around logs, mostly on the high lead and skyline sides. This has to be some of the hardest work on the planet. I was a rigging slinger, worked as a high climber and ran cat. I also worked chasing the landing for the high lead and sky line which was a 9 hour a day contest trying to stay out from under flying logs and cables while keeping all the rigging straight.
In the middle of all the above I ran just over two ton of welding rod for that logging operation both in repair and fabrication of components of heavy equipment.

This was my true start in working steel.

Logging boots, we called "corks" or caulked boots cost around 200 dollars and would last about 6 months at best. They hurt like hell to break in, all hard leather construction. Some of the new boots had "squeak heal" in them. Every time the owner stepped down he would squeak from the pain.

This is what caused me to pay attention in Java's thread here. Maybe Java is too tough to notice his feet. I'll find him some logging "shoes" to try out and see if he notices any difference. I doubt it.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 02-08-2005 at 08:05. Reason: spellin'
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:08   #21
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Hey Bill, what did you do as a logger? I was a chokersetter for about 6 years. I got out of the woods a little over 3 years ago when I hooked up with Kifaru. The little woman said 53 was too damn old to be settin' chokers. It was good fun while it lasted. Sorry about the thread hijack Java.

Mel
Oh yeah, Your "little woman" is right.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51   #22
vsvo
Area Commander

Thanks, Mr. Harsey. That was a neat glimpse into the logging world.

TJG, great review and pics!
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:27   #23
Prester John
Quiet Professional

I'm impressed by what i read. Great review.

Out of curiosity, did you hate your oakley boots? I have a couple pairs i picked up, and i'm not impressed. I was just wondering if these bates boots remedy the SERIOUS problems I have seen in my oakley "Assault Boots".

I'll be on the lookout for these if they are as good as you say. The autolocking lace thing is an awesome idea.

Doug
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:42   #24
Mel
Asset

Java, great review and pics! I wish I coulda stayed out in Vegas a couple more days and went hiking with you. I gotta get me a pair of those Bates and see how they work for me .

Bill, sounds like you did it all in the logging business! Last pair of boots I used while setting chokers, were some caulked Danners from Hoffman Boots in Idaho. I started working with them right out of the box, with no break in, and never had a problem with hot spots or blisters. Great pair of boots, and Hoffman Boots has outstanding customer service.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 17:57   #25
BearFlag
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Java, great review and pics! I wish I coulda stayed out in Vegas a couple more days and went hiking with you. I gotta get me a pair of those Bates and see how they work for me .

Bill, sounds like you did it all in the logging business! Last pair of boots I used while setting chokers, were some caulked Danners from Hoffman Boots in Idaho. I started working with them right out of the box, with no break in, and never had a problem with hot spots or blisters. Great pair of boots, and Hoffman Boots has outstanding customer service.

Mel
Next time you are out here I'd be up for a hike, but only if you loan me an "Express" to play w/
Old 02-08-2005, 19:04   #26
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel

Mel
Fellow Logger, SIR Mel, No I did not do it all logging. No one wanted me to run shovel (log loader). I'd pick up a big log, start it moving sideways fast and fail to find the swing brakes, hit the 110 foot tower on the yarder and rung it like a bell that could be heard for 10 miles. This caused much bad langauge and no small amount of ill will, especially if someone had to dive off the edge of the landing to keep from getting kilt. I also scattered the whole rigging crew on a couple occasions so they asked me to go do something else.

Danners are the best shoes made for the woods, I couldn't afford them while logging (or so I'd thought) so I bought West Coast boots. You have to be extra tough to have worn those.
Old 02-09-2005, 21:46   #27
That Java Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonboffinsheep
Out of curiosity, did you hate your oakley boots? I have a couple pairs i picked up, and i'm not impressed. I was just wondering if these bates boots remedy the SERIOUS problems I have seen in my oakley "Assault Boots".
Doug
No - I don't hate them at all. It's just that they are a super hyped up pair of sneakers with lots of room for improvement. These Bates are the boots for me from now on.

Dan
That Java Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 22:44   #28
zeroalpha
Operator

Anyone know the correct name for these boots?

Ive looked on the Net and find a few options for Bates boots... do they have a particular model / part number Java?
-=Ultimate Farce=-

(Ultimate Force (Farce) is a TV show for those who havent seen it)
zeroalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:04   #29
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Java Guy
No lions but I was prepared for them I went hiking with a guy that I could outrun

Dan
Dan, That sounds like good thinking and would sure be an unusual test of the shoes.

In Oregon we have a very healthy population of mountain lions. I live in the middle of one of those "population centers" and have the big kitty kitties close to the house on occasion.

After reviewing a few livestock kill scenes by the cats I've noted that they go ahead and kill as much as they want and I suspect they get the fastest ones (sheeps, calves and last year, a young horse) first so they don't get away.

Let the other guy run first to see what the cat does.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30   #30
Pattaya
Quiet Professional

Where or when are these going on the market? I've looked on the bates footware web site but to no avail.