Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 11-01-2004, 18:11   #46
Achilles
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Great cameras.

Get the MAHA MH-204F charger and 8 of the AA Powerex 2300 mAh batteries, you should be in business.

TR
Ordered them yesterday, sir, but with the 204F packaged with only 4. More will be ordered later, I'm sure. I'll definately follow the examples of those who posted in the "Interesting SF pictures" thread and take as many pictures as possible during my career.

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:01   #47
Achilles
SF Candidate

I've been playing with my new camera (the Canon) for a few weeks now. GREAT CAMERA! It's movie mode captures high quality 640x480 .AVI's that have near digital camcorder quality. The Powerex 2300 mah batteries are fantastic also. I have a 1 GB 80x speed CF card coming in on Tuesday (~85$ on newegg.com) so I'll have good capacity.

Thanks for the help picking it out TR.

If you are looking for a good, versatile digicam but not absolutely needing to take pictures that will require large prints, the S1 IS is a fantastic camera.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:45   #48
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

No worries.

The video clip here was shot with my Canon S1 IS:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...8&page=2&pp=15

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 21:19   #49
casey
Quiet Professional

I've been using a Minolta Dimage X with a 3X zoom for all my travel. Its very small, yet the shots come out crystal clear. Its billed as the lightest, thinnest, smallest (at least when I bought it) camera on the market. If I could figure out how to attach photos - I'll put some up.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:58   #50
DDD
Quiet Professional

I just changed cameras, from Canon Powershot S400 to Canon SD300.....The SD300 does absolutely everything the S400 did in a smaller package. The SD300 uses different memory (SD card vs compact flash) and battery than the S400, but the cost per MB of memory is about the same and the battery is also roughly the same.
The SD 300 has a larger LCD screen than even the S500, if you want a 4 MP compact camera take a look at the SD300.
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 17:34   #51
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

As an UW Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
Hi NDD, I use this model for all my travel and knife pics. The Canon Digital Elphs are my fave on the market for form-factor (SMALL!), resolution (5 megapixel) and picture quality.

When traveling I keep it in my jacket pocket, and it's been hit by enough things and still kept working that I'd say it's also somewhat rugged. All the video on my website was taken with this camera. This version offers 3 resolution modes for video. Didn't realize how handy that would be when you want to keep bandwidth lower.

PLUS, they just had a price drop and are now $399. Definitely a sweet spot for $ / megapixel.

Above 5 megapixels and you start to get lots more expensive, last time I checked.

When Canon comes out with a new Digital Elph model, I sell my old one and immediately get the new one. So I've used about 4 of them so far and have been happy with them all.

http://www.powershot.com

FrontSight
I have the Canon Digital Elph S-400 for awhile now and I'm very happy with it. I also have the Canon UW case that they make of that camera. It seems to work great UW too! I see no need to rush out and buy the S-500 at this time.

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 16:10   #52
BadMuther
Guerrilla

I've been looking to get a new digital camera for awhile now and have been following this thread with interest.

My question is, does the Canon S 1 have a delay when you hit the button? I HATE that, makes you lose shots and it's very annoying. Is it possible to adjust the cameras so there is no delay?

I was using some Canon powershot a-75's and a-80's this week and they had a serious delay.
Old 12-29-2004, 16:13   #53
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

BadMuther-

Are you talking about the delay for the auto focus before it takes the pic or the delay after the pic before you can take another one?

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 12-29-2004 at 16:38. Reason: spelling error
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 16:23   #54
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
BadMother-

Are you talking about the delay for the auto focus before it takes the pic or the delay after the pic before you can take another one?
Delay for the auto focus bro, before the picture is taken, sorry for not specifying.

Last edited by BadMuther; 12-29-2004 at 16:33.
BadMuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 16:42   #55
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

I don't think you will find many digital or standard cameras that don't have a delay for the auto focus part. Only way I can think it to set the camera on manual focus- and not all digital camera have that capability. I don't know about the Canon S1..maybe someone can help you out on that info.

You can always prefocus the camera and continue to hold the button halfway down...until whatever you want to take a photo of gets moving or whatever. That is what I have to do to catch my kids in a photo when they are smiling or whatever. Otherwise, I get frustrated like you and end up cussing the camera because my pic was actually taken 1 second AFTER they stopped smiling,etc.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30   #56
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
I don't think you will find many digital or standard cameras that don't have a delay for the auto focus part. Only way I can think it to set the camera on manual focus- and not all digital camera have that capability. I don't know about the Canon S1..maybe someone can help you out on that info.

You can always prefocus the camera and continue to hold the button halfway down...until whatever you want to take a photo of gets moving or whatever. That is what I have to do to catch my kids in a photo when they are smiling or whatever. Otherwise, I get frustrated like you and end up cussing the camera because my pic was actually taken 1 second AFTER they stopped smiling,etc.

Yep, that's the prob that I have.

My Sony Mavica is pretty quick, but it's also a fairly large camera and not all of the shots are always in focus.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:44   #57
gk404
Asset

Turning the red-eye reduction off will help speed things up a bit as well. If you're in the market for a new camera, the best thing to do is go to a store, and try them out. Make sure the camera is set to it's highest resolution and has the red eye turned on.

The speed of the camera has mostly to do with it's processor, and to some extent the media being used. If you want quick try the Nikon D70, that's one nice camera. Also, I don't recall if its been mentioned but a good resource for camera reviews(with timings) is dpreview.com

Cheers,
George
gk404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:59   #58
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Buyer Beware

Before you make that next online camera purchase (or any online electronic purchase) read here first:

http://www.sheddingsomelight.com/

Then do a websearch on the following words:

Grey Market Items

I've always wondered how some online "stores" could boast the lowest prices on the internet, now I know.

TS
Old 08-22-2006, 08:38   #59
jfhiller
Auxiliary

Digital Photography Review is the best website I've found for digital camera reviews. I recommend it if you're wanting to spend some $$ on a dig cam. Of course, the gray market information above is helpful for different reasons.

http://www.dpreview.com
jfhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 13:58   #60
chittnp
Asset

Love my Sony W50....you cant go wrong...great camera. The only down side to it is that it only uses Sony's Memory Stick Pro Duo, not mini SD or CF. It's 6.0 Megapixels and tiny, also has the Carl Ziess Lens. Almost identical to the new 6 megapixel Canon Digital Elphs for about $150 less