Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-21-2007, 08:30   #31
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Not yet. Don't want to cause a stampede and crash the internet.

So, how about that stampede you promised.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54   #32
Genghis_Don
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz
He even let me hold it, but then asked for it right back.

Did he ask you to wait till it got soft before giving it back?

Hey I had a girlfriend that I'd swear in court didn't even HAVE a uvula. Or a sense of monogamy now that I think back on it.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. "
--Mark Twain
Genghis_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:23   #33
x SF med
Quiet Professional

NDD-
Why were you letting others handle your Nylon bullet proof jockstrap - huh?
(damn, that comment is going to hurt me, luckily I'm a medic)

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:22   #34
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
NDD-
Why were you letting others handle your Nylon bullet proof jockstrap - huh?
(damn, that comment is going to hurt me, luckily I'm a medic)
Cpt O'Hagan
"I invented the Bulletproof Cup gag, except when we did it , the rookie wore the cup * BANG* [Glass Breaking] and we used Blanks. You're a sick F*%$ Mack."

Mack
"Thanks Chief"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mack Bulletproof cup.jpg (17.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Air.177; 02-21-2007 at 13:29.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 13:15   #35
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Yawn
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 16:08   #36
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What do you think MM?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 14:20   #37
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
What do you think MM?
give us a review, brother
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 17:49   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I will this weekend, I can't upload the pictures from here.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:34   #39
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ladies and Gentlemen,
It is my distinct privilege to introduce you to the Kit Mat as designed by Military Moron and executed by EMDOM.

It is an extremely well thought-out and executed design, elegant in its simplicity, filling what I consider to have been a void with today's cleaning kits. It works exactly as intended, organizing cleaning chores nicely. I haven't taken specific dimensions, but I am sure MM can answer your questions. I will say that rolled up, it fits perfectly in the outer pocket of the Spartan Bag, which is about the same size as a pocket on the ALICE. It will also fit well in a Nalgene bottle pouch.

As you can see, it has two zipper pouches to hold your cleaning supplies. It also has a clever patch with hook and loop straps to hold those small pieces that are always getting lost. I thought that was an especially good idea.

Since the pictures were taken, I have gotten it dirty and it worked like a charm. I highly recommend it for your field cleaning chores. It will be available soon on the EMDOM website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KitMat001.JPG (163.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat002.JPG (187.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat003.JPG (184.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat004.JPG (176.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat005.JPG (199.8 KB, 113 views)
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42   #40
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

In these you can see it rolled up. The shock-cord closures were a great idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KitMat006.JPG (80.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat007.JPG (92.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg KitMat008.JPG (106.2 KB, 114 views)
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47   #41
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I am still working on exactly what the contents will be. It will hold 9mm and 5.56 Bore Snakes, solvent and lube no problem. As you can see I also have a standard M4 cleaning kit in there in one of the pouches.

The materials and workmanship are of the highest caliber as always from EMDOM. Heavy duty zippers, bomb-proof sewing, the works.

Again, highly recommended. MM and EMDOM have a real winner here.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:21   #42
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Very nice indeed.

Well done, MM and EMDOM.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:29   #43
militarymoron
Guerrilla

thanks doc, for the plug and TR for the kind words. doc, you've beaten me to my own preview (which i'll release as EMDOM gets ready to put them out). great job on the pics.
i've already done my writeup, and i'll post the text here as it should answer any additonal questions anyone might have.

<<I came up with the concept and sketch back in July '06, and after a couple of prototype and changes, it will finally go into production (estimated availability from EMDOM April '07). It's nothing high-speed; just something that I think most shooters will find a very practical shooting accessory, in my humble opinion.

Concept - If you go shooting, whether it be at an indoor our outdoor range, or just out in the field, chances are that you've had to disassemble your weapon, either to take a look at a problem, or simply to clean it. Even when shooting off the bench at an outdoor range, it's nice to have a clean surface. Most of us have an old T-shirt or towel to do the work on, and keep the oily parts out of the dirt. I usually carry a G.I. M16 cleaning kit pouch with my sectional cleaning rod, small bottles of bore solvent and oil, jags, brushes, and maybe another one with some essential tools and spare parts. Every time I've had to break all of this stuff out, and find a clean surface to work on my gun, I thought about how nice it'd be to be able to have all of these in one package for the field. I did some research, and while I found cleaning kit pouches and mats, they were always separate, and the mats were too bulky and large for practical field use. And of course, none of them were built out of 1000D cordura in cool colours. So, the KitMat idea was born.

The KitMat is a fold-up/roll-up cleaning kit pouch, with attached mat (hence the imaginative name). The mat itself is a 24" x 19" piece of coated 1000D cordura. At one end are some grommets, two of which have a loop of shock cord attached. The shock cords keep the mat rolled up tightly. At the other end are two cordura pouches with internal pockets for cleaning kits and spare parts.

Empty and rolled up, it's approximately the same length as a G.I. M16 cleaning kit pouch (9.5"). The diameter depends on how much stuff you put in the pouches. To unroll it, the shock cord loops are passed over the ends of the roll, and the mat unrolled completely. Then it's unfolded and spread out flat.

Mat - I sized the dimensions of the mat very carefully. I didn't want it to be too small as to be unusable, and I didn't want it to be too large as it'd be too bulky. The size of the pouches were based on the G.I. pouch dimensions, and dicatated the width of the mat. 24" x 19" ended up being the optimum size. It's large enough to lay out the parts of a disassembled carbine (as shown below). It's also wide enough to be used as a mini shooting mat to rest your elbows on if you're lying on dirt and rocks. You can also sit on it if the ground is wet (the coated Cordura is pretty water resistant), or even use it to put food on and eat off, instead of in the dirt, or on a rock. But its primary purpose is to keep your disassembled weapon's components out of the dirt. I've found it useful at home, just in case I knock over my bottle of solvent on to the carpet. It'll keep it from soaking through for a few moments and buy time. The edges of the mat are finished with seam tape.

Small parts area - In one corner of the mat near the right pouch is a 6" x 4" area of loop velcro. Supplied are two 3" and two 4" lengths of 1"-wide hook velcro, with sewn-over ends. These are for securing small springs, pins and other small parts to the velcro patch to prevent loss. Place the part on the velcro patch, and stick the velcro strip over it. If the wind catches the mat and blows it over, at least these small parts won't get lost. The velcro strips store on the patch when not in use.

Pouches - The KitMat has two zippered pouches, using YKK zippers and cord pulls. Each one is 9" x 3" x 1", and will open out flat. Inside each pouch are 420D compartments/pockets.
The left pouch has two 4" x 3" compartments, and will fit cleaning patches, most bore brushes and jags, or small solvent/oil bottles. Inside the lid is a long 9" x 3" pouch with velcro-secured flap. This is sized to fit G.I. sectional cleaning rods and commercial pistol cleaning rods. The pockets aren't flap, but are pleated at the corners so they expand.
The right pouch has an identical flapped pocket inside the lid, and a full-length compartment at the bottom. These will hold bolt carriers, boresnakes, toothbrushes, my AR chamber guide, spare parts in plastic baggies etc. Stuff can be stored between the pockets instead of inside them as well. All pockets and compartment openings are designed to be accessed easily when the pouches are opened out flat. All seams are finished with seam tape.

To roll it up, the dirt/sand is shaken off the mat, and the mat is simply folded in half. The dirty side of the cordura is always down or inside, and doesn't dirty the upper surface or pouches when rolled up. When the mat is folded in half, it's rolled around the pouches, then the shock cords are slipped over the ends to keep it from unrolling. It's compact enough to fit in most rifle cases with the rifle, and any range bag or ruck.

I've used the KitMat prototypes over the course of the past few months, tweaking the design, to ensure that it performed as I envisioned. I usually stock it with both a rifle and pistol cleaning kit, essential tools and spare parts for whatever weapon I have with me. I've used it on filthy indoor range lanes tables full of unburnt power particles, in the dirt/sand, as a mat on shooting benches and at home on the floor and table. When it gets too dirty, you can throw it in the wash, or just dunk it in the sink (after emptying its contents of course).

I'm happy to report that it works exactly as I envisioned, and that EMDOM USA did a great job bringing the idea to life, with their typical high quality.>>
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47   #44
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

How much are they and where can I get one? Yes, that is an express request for a link, so answering is not improper advertising.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49   #45
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
How much are they and where can I get one? Yes, that is an express request for a link, so answering is not improper advertising.
You will be able to get them here: http://www.emdomusa.com/ eventually. But not yet. RL, you really need one of these!
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?