Old 05-07-2011, 10:36   #16
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Muzzle brakes do work. I have a Lapua .338 which is easier to shoot than my son's .300 Winmag. It is really more of a shove than a slam.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:43   #17
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Rifles were designed to keep you out of trouble until you can fight your way to a HK45.

Last edited by Dusty; 05-07-2011 at 10:46.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:17   #18
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

HK .45

I agree, I have a HK .45 usp compact and it gets the job done, I have not shot anyone recently, but Iam 110% sure that this weapon is a life saver.All other thing's considered eg. Ammunition selection, Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP or Winchester 230 grain Bonded PDX1 JHP. 2.Trigger Control & Shot Placement. Also practice dry firing 5 minutes every day than go to the range once per week and fire @ 50 rounds....Train as you will fight and you will fight as you train. Set a standard and train to beat the standard.
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:52   #19
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
I agree, I have a HK .45 usp compact and it gets the job done, I have not shot anyone recently, but Iam 110% sure that this weapon is a life saver.All other thing's considered eg. Ammunition selection, Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP or Winchester 230 grain Bonded PDX1 JHP. 2.Trigger Control & Shot Placement. Also practice dry firing 5 minutes every day than go to the range once per week and fire @ 50 rounds....Train as you will fight and you will fight as you train. Set a standard and train to beat the standard.
...and hunt with your pistol.
Old 05-07-2011, 13:25   #20
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Muzzle brakes do work. I have a Lapua .338 which is easier to shoot than my son's .300 Winmag. It is really more of a shove than a slam.
If you don't mind the appearance, The JP Enterprises Recoil "eliminator" does just that.. My 8mm Mauser has as much recoil as a .22.
Note: The smith was a little over cautious and over bored the eliminator for a .338 instead of .323 and the result is I have about 10% recoil. I'm able to watch my rounds strike down range without losing sightpicture.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 17:20   #21
Angry Mike
Quiet Professional

scout rifles

I spent some time experimenting with the concept for about 5 years. Small ring Mausers, large ring Mausers, Steyr's and then got tired of looking for perfection.

I have to say the large ring mauser was the best after soldering a new bolt handle on it to clear the stock and the rear bridge. Sold it to a reserve Unit member and he is still shooting it. Hard to pass up a good Mauser.

My Steyr would start to wonder on the range after 20 or so rounds. I took it down to FL to shoot one winter during training course where I would have plenty of room. That stock does kick butt though and makes it enjoyable to shoot. But the barrel is thin and starts to heat up pretty quickly.

Optically one drawback was in diminishing light I would lose the sight reticle with the Leupold Scout scopes. That long eye-relief takes a little to get used too. Just for an experiment I put an EOTech on it and it worked pretty well. No magnification of course but was light and handy. Maybe one of those magnifiers would of worked wonders? Haven't invested in one to date.

Have you looked at the Savage Scout rifle? Doesn't have the Ruger magazine capacity but neither does Steyrs.
I like the .308 over the .223 and decided to stick with an AR.
26 years of muscle memory kind of over rode any tinkering with a bolt gun.

Now it's on to doubles. Ask my man Saxon88!

v/r
Mike
Angry Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 21:23   #22
jw74
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Mike View Post
Have you looked at the Savage Scout rifle? Doesn't have the Ruger magazine capacity but neither does Steyrs.
I like the .308 over the .223 and decided to stick with an AR.
26 years of muscle memory kind of over rode any tinkering with a bolt gun.
I've decided to go a different route for now and I ordered a Marlin 1895SBL Guide Gun in 45-70.
I've applied to some jobs out of California and if I get one then I'll get an AR in .308. I have an AR in .223 and the bullet button is annoying.

Thanks, everyone for the input. It helped quite a bit.
JW
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:51   #23
Shark Bait
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw74 View Post
I've decided to go a different route for now and I ordered a Marlin 1895SBL Guide Gun in 45-70.
JW
The Marlin Guide Gun is a great choice. I have one of the earlier blued & ported models. It's my truck-gun when I'm in the mountains of New Mexico. The .45-70 will drop anything in North America. All my favorite calibers start with a 4.
Old 08-04-2011, 17:20   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
The Marlin Guide Gun is a great choice. I have one of the earlier blued & ported models. It's my truck-gun when I'm in the mountains of New Mexico. The .45-70 will drop anything in North America. All my favorite calibers start with a 4.
I agree.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 21:33   #25
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Dido...

Though no porting, .30-30 using LEVERevolution (4inch holdover at 350yrds)
Always works
Old 08-04-2011, 21:53   #26
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw74 View Post
I've applied to some jobs out of California and if I get one then I'll get an AR in .308. I have an AR in .223 and the bullet button is annoying.

Thanks, everyone for the input. It helped quite a bit.
JW
Got two. 45-70 and 30-30....Leupold scopes....Love both.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31   #27
MVP
Quiet Professional

Model 7

A Remington model 7 in 308 in a synthetic stock makes a fine short rifle.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:55   #28
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Ruger Gunsite Scout

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout, M77. Jeff Cooper suggested the perfect Scout Rifle should be bolt action, magazine fed, chambered in .308, no more than 1 meter in length, with a forward mounted rail for maximum eye relief when using optics. I have installed a Burris Scout optic, 3 x 9, with Leupold scope rings.

I like it and paid $779 for mine. I am using PMC Bronze, 147 grain, FMJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181209_123353.jpg (40.2 KB, 67 views)

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1

Last edited by twistedsquid; 12-09-2018 at 12:05.
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:04   #29
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Why the emphasis on bolt action instead of semi-auto?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29   #30
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Why the emphasis on bolt action instead of semi-auto?
Compactness, accuracy and reliability. I did some research online. Lots of info out there. He did suggest that if a semiautomatic action was "sufficiently compact and otherwise acceptable, it should be considered".

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote