Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-25-2004, 10:50   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

MM, that’s a good copy, wilco.

NDD, Wouldn’t be the first time or the last (I’m sure) that I’ve placed myself in harms way.

TS
Old 02-26-2004, 16:22   #17
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Re: Re: Where do I get these?

Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
I dont know where you are, but most outdoor shops that carry extensive hiking, climbing, canoeing, and kayaking gear sell the Salomon brand.
I have a pair of Salomon Expert Mid's and can tell you they are the best hiking boot I have ever purchased.
HTH
SC - i just picked up a pair of merrell sawtooths a few days ago. IMHO, they're a step above the salomon expert mids. i've been using the salomons almost daily for the past few months and they've been very comfy, but when they soften up from use they might be a bit too spongy for more serious hiking, especially with a load as they don't support the feet as well as a stiffer boot. they're still an excellent lightweight trail hiker though, with more support than cross trainers i've tried.
the merrell sawtooth is a more ruggedly built boot overall, with a much stiffer midsole. instead of the mesh fabric of the salomons, the sawtooth uses nubuck leather and cordura. i worried about the mesh on the salomons not holding up to sharp rocks. it's also a slightly taller boot than the expert mids (which had a tendency to get sand in them). the sawtooth is still in the lightweight hiker category, but built more like the 'serious' hiking boots which are a lot stiffer. i'll put pics up and a blurb on my site once i use them a bit more. worth a look, IMHO, if you're looking at those type of boots.
cheers,
MM
militarymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 16:45   #18
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

I am not looking for anything else at the moment. I have not tried the Merrell Sawtooths yet, but took a gander at them a few days ago while buying a new pair of running shoes.

I have enjoyed my Salomons. The material is soft and after wearing Redwing boots at work all day I appreciate the softness. These Redwings kill my feet after 24 hours on shift. I do not do much above light trail work in the Expert Mid's and since I do not have much sand here I do not have the same perspective you do. If I am out in the woods I am either in jungles or leather leg boots here lately.

Thank you for the insight into the Merrells. I think I may have to give them a try.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:31   #19
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

anyone know where you can purchase these gloves? I had a little run in with my gloves, and a Broco torch, and they got messed up. I sent my wife around to try and find another pair, and she was told, that they are made specially for the military in black, and you have to go through your supply to get them. Any help would be appreciated.
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:31   #20
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Max_Tab
anyone know where you can purchase these gloves? I had a little run in with my gloves, and a Broco torch, and they got messed up. I sent my wife around to try and find another pair, and she was told, that they are made specially for the military in black, and you have to go through your supply to get them. Any help would be appreciated.
contact jeri or martina at SWMS directly at (888) 493-3615
they're also available at tactical tailor (www.tacticaltailor.com).
HTH,
MM
Old 07-31-2004, 08:21   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

So, TS, did you ever talk to them or get a pair of the SW Motorsports gloves?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:29   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I have yet to make it out that way. I'll get out there one of these days...
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:52   #23
Rotor Strike

I've worn the SWMS Friction Fighter gloves for the last two-three years now. Still on my second pair. They are fantastic. I wear them every time I fly in the -60. Highly recommended. They are making them in tan now as well.
Old 08-01-2004, 22:15   #24
August-O Twenty
Asset

Since we are on the topic of gloves I was wondering what features you look for in a good shooting glove..Any suggestions for one?

mm: Thanks for the review
Old 08-06-2004, 22:19   #25
militarymoron
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by August-O Twenty
Since we are on the topic of gloves I was wondering what features you look for in a good shooting glove..Any suggestions for one?
mm: Thanks for the review
thanks, august.
personally, for a shooting glove (i'm a civvie, so it's for range/general use), i look for:
  • dexterity - thin enough to feel all controls (like optics and light buttons etc), operate and load weapons and mags by touch.
  • basic protection from sharp edges - my dainty fingers always get chewed up somehow at the range, so gloves help save my skin
  • secure, no slip grip when sweaty etc
  • durability
  • no padding on the palms that add bulk
  • snug fit - better a bit tight than too loose - especially at the fingertips

another plug for SWMS gloves here, but i've found that the basic Heat Grip CT gloves meet all those requirements. they're less than $25 GSA price. they're made of synthetic leather which is thin enough to preserve dexterity but tough enough to protect my hands. they're in my review on my site and i really like them as a general use glove. the synthetic leather has a suede-like feel, and is surprisingly durable (i've been using a pair of impact CT gloves at the gym for the past 5 months for free weights and they're holding up better than my leather weight lifting gloves). they're also machine washable.
cheers,
MM
Old 01-29-2007, 16:40   #26
PSYOP Rob
Asset

Has anyone had any fast rope experience with the friction fighters ? Would you recommend them or is there another brand better suited for this?
PSYOP Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 19:30   #27
x SF med
Quiet Professional

for shooting gloves - you guys might want to try the Gill sailing gloves (3/4 finger) that have kevlar and leather palms... Mine last at least one and a half sailing (racing) seasons, hard use, adverse conditions - about $30/pr navy blue and black - velcro closures on the inside of the wrist.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28   #28
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Great gloves we use them while on deployement currently. The bad points I say just like Oakley's. Daily wear breaks them in fast and the fingers wear out fast along with that. Still lay on the hand and fingers fine. It's the tac-load and the fine finger dexterity need to turn small buttons on/off, etc.

If you getting them get two pairs for a deploy in the sand box. Summertime I would get three even.

MAX-TAB.. Call up SWMS they will pass a Gov't cost and all the info needed. Like everyone dealing with Gov't/military sales you will save.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Great gloves we use them while on deployement currently. The bad points I say just like Oakley's. Daily wear breaks them in fast and the fingers wear out fast along with that. Still lay on the hand and fingers fine. It's the tac-load and the fine finger dexterity need to turn small buttons on/off, etc.

If you getting them get two pairs for a deploy in the sand box. Summertime I would get three even.

MAX-TAB.. Call up SWMS they will pass a Gov't cost and all the info needed. Like everyone dealing with Gov't/military sales you will save.
Roger all.

As a sidebar, they are now part of Camelbak.

They are always bringing out new stuff as well. This spring, they should have a new model out well padded on the back of the fingers that will work well for Sims training.

You call and tell them you are in the military and deploying, they should hook you up with a discount.

Most of the gloves have NSNs and they are on the GSA, so if you had the money, your unit could buy them for you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13   #30
Punisher_nbi45
FTFSI

My take

Hello everybody,

Hope nobody minds if I'm reviving an old thread. Yeah, and I hope everybody is in good health.

I had the opportunity to test them out, and they were so great! We ran drills last August 2 (Sunday here in the Philippines), and I ran my cobbled-up M-4 with about 4 mags at full-auto. The gloves not only held up well, but they provided excellent heat protection. I know that if I had just fired it using my hands, I would definitely feel the heat, even through the Magpul MOE handguards (another great product, by the way).

Thanks to MM for recommending them, and I hope to get my pair of gloves sometime this month. What's hard is that really excellent gear is non-existent here, thus, we have to wait awhile to get them (helps if we have relatives over at CONUS).

Just my 2 cents worth....
Punisher_nbi45 is offline   Reply With Quote