Old 12-28-2011, 12:03   #1
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

FNP45

A search only pulled one thread with no responses related to the FNP pistols (LINK).

I wanted to ask if anyone may have experience with the FNP45 (standard and tactical series) as I am considering one for my next purchase...

Numerous searches shows that there may have been some early QC issues with corrections made. Most owners claim that they are soft shooting and very accurate.

Anyone hear own or have field experience with them?

I had started off by considering a 1911 but am not particularly enamored with the design and the FNP seems to fit the bill on paper as a higher capacity .45.
I do plan to shoot one but would like to hear about any longevity issues or deficiencies.

Thank you,

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21   #2
Arma Viri
BANNED USER

QC issues at FN? Hmmm... Anyway, I have no first hand experience myself, but a friend of mine who's in the Army told me it is one of the two finest handguns out there. That other one being the HK P8/USP 9mm, which he fired as well. Being a huge FN fan I'd love to own a P45 as well You just cant beat hand -and machineguns that were made at Herstal/Fredericksburg.
Arma Viri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41   #3
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma Viri View Post
QC issues at FN? Hmmm... Anyway, I have no first hand experience myself, but a friend of mine who's in t
Perhaps manufacturing or design deserves the blame but yes, issues.

Early models had suffered some cracks near the trigger assembly....or some claim as such.

Like some trigger housing assembly cracks on the SCARs...it happens.

Quote:
I have no first hand experience myself, but....
No offense, but I specifically asked for the experienced to comment to learn more about how they hold up under use. I have handled and shot the FNP45 tactical and already know I like it. I'm wanting to know if they are holding up well or are they as good at 5k+ rounds as they are at 500.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 12-29-2011 at 12:44.
Old 12-29-2011, 16:12   #4
Arma Viri
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Perhaps manufacturing or design deserves the blame but yes, issues.

Early models had suffered some cracks near the trigger assembly....or some claim as such.

Now you've mentioned, I indeed recall that! You're right. The S&W M&P had the same problems.

Like some trigger housing assembly cracks on the SCARs...it happens.

The stock seems to be a failure as well, and I have my doubts about its pencil thin barrel, and there's of course the reciprocating charging handle. That isn't much of a problem with the 5.56 version -still one needs to be careful of course-, but it could break your fingers on the 7.62. It can be remedied though by just switching it to the other side.

No offense, but I specifically asked for the experienced to comment to learn more about how they hold up under use. I have handled and shot the FNP45 tactical and already know I like it. I'm wanting to know if they are holding up well or are they as good at 5k+ rounds as they are at 500.
No problem, I understand your request and thatswhy I posted the experience my Army friend has to your question. I met him during my time at military academy. In The Netherlands, Infantry Cadets receive a good portion of their basic training from the Commando's (the Dutch Army SF), so hence his experience on this gun. The Dutch SF have their own G7, so they basically have every small arms system in their inventory, in very small quantities though but they have 'em. That's all I can tell you from "operator experience" [in the Dutch military]. Because as far as I know, no other military has adopted the FNP-45 yet.
Old 12-29-2011, 16:27   #5
Arma Viri
BANNED USER

By the way, did you ever work with the 1911? The FNP-45's grip seems a bit on the large side and wouldnt accomodate the majority of the troops I guess (guys with small hands, petite ladies). I really like the feel of the 1911 in my hand since I prefer handguns with fairly slim grips. And its a very solid, proven weapons system. No wonder alot of people in the US military still hold on to it aka want it to be reissued. Although I think the FNP-45 would be an improvement, more capacity/less reloading, polymer parts. All significant improvement, weight reductions etc make any system a no brainer I guess.
Old 12-29-2011, 16:33   #6
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma Viri View Post
By the way, did you ever work with the 1911?
Yes.