Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-15-2006, 16:02   #1
lurp
Asset

Need a new GPS

Hi
I'm looking for a new GPS, I seen seals etc.. using the GARMIN foretrex series. Wonder if any of you have any experience with it?
or do should I go for something else?

Thanks for any help

Regards
-T
lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 16:27   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurp
Hi
I'm looking for a new GPS, I seen seals etc.. using the GARMIN foretrex series. Wonder if any of you have any experience with it?
or do should I go for something else?

Thanks for any help

Regards

-T
Unless you are going to be a SEAL, then something else might suit your needs better.

As with every other gear discussion on this boared, the first step is to decide what you want to do with it. What is your GPS need?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:27   #3
lurp
Asset

Hehe.. sorry,sir. my bad.. my need is just like any other soldier,seal, psd etc..

I need something thats small,light, easy to work with. Large memory. must be water,snow and sand proof. I may use it in maritime ops.mountain ops. SAR,hunting etc..
I dont care about price, I see it as kind of a investment.

I have very little clue on GPS systems, so any recomandation is good

Thanks
-T
Old 07-16-2006, 07:54   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Do you need a vehicle mount with voice instructions, a way to find your way around in a metro area, or is it solely for cross country navigation?

I am running a Garmin Quest, and it does all of the above to a fair degree. If I only wanted to to do one of the tasks, I could pick a better unit. OTOH, it meets my needs pretty effectively.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-16-2006, 08:10   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I use an eTrex Summit unit, it was designed for both marine and recreation use so it meet my personal needs and JOB use. Biggest problem is it "eats" batteries, this is because of the compass. I don't like it (compass), so I turn it off. I use my Suunto Vector or X9 watches with GPS / Altimeter / Barometer / Compass.

FYI - it has some good accessories, but this goes for all Garmin units. Works for me.

Like TR said, it all depends on what your using it for and where. If it urban, you'll need to get a memory chip (datacards) for area place you'll be at or traveling to. This helps out and really is a must becuase of road maps for units that use them.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 07-16-2006 at 08:15.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:42   #6
SwedeGlocker
Asset

I uses my issued Garmin 76S for veichle use and my private Garmin60XS for everything else. If i only could have one then i would choose a Garmin 60XS.
SwedeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:33   #7
lurp
Asset

Thanks guys
I like the 60 series from Garmin alot, can you tell me some more about it?

After a looking around a bit, i found out that I should get one for vehicle and one for cross country etc.. The quest looks great for vehicle, any in puts?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:55   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

As I stated earlier, I have the Quest and it works great in the car or on foot.

The only problem was the limited memory available in the Quest I, but the Quest 2 has remedied that issue.

It does have a slightly smaller screen than some vehicle mounts, but thus far, that has not been a problem for me.

Off the vehicle power supply, you get about 18 hours of run time with the internal battery, then it has got to be recharged.

TR

Old 07-17-2006, 06:04   #9
lurp
Asset

That was fast reply, Thanks TR
Old 08-03-2006, 18:04   #10
O'Doyle
Asset

Garmin 60Csx

I recently purchased the Garmin 60Csx and love it. I had a foretrex before that although that is comparing apples to oranges. I also have used a e-trex and although that is a good compact GPS I am impartial to my 60Csx. I used the e-trex and the 60Csx side by side setting up a land nav course and what I noticed was that the e-trex would lose the satellite signal sometimes when the woods would get thick. The 60Csx on the other hand with its external antennea always maintained a strong signal. The memory on the 60Csx is also excellant at 256mb. Enough I believe to hold topo for the whole western half of the US. Also the oversized screen and the multiple buttons were easier to see and use vs. the single toggle and smaller screen on the e-trex. The color screen is a nice addition too although purely for asthetics and has no real advantage over black and white....but it does look cool. Anyway hope that helps, again I do not have a ton of experience with a large variety of GPS units but for the money the 60Csx seems to me to be a great GPS.
O'Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 19:04   #11
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
I use my Suunto Vector or X9 watches with GPS / Altimeter / Barometer / Compass.
I've seen those Suunto Vector watches. They're really sharp! I've been trying, and with no success, to get our lifesupport guys to spring for these for everyone.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41   #12
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Garmin GPS 76 - on sale at West Marine for $199 this week, good unit - designed for marine use, upgradeable, and accepts all the standard mapping disks, including all the government mapping.

Suunto Watches - once you get through the owners manual a few times and learn all of the functions, they're great, I use the Regatta series for racing. I still prefer my simple TAG or the Citizen Eco-Drive for most things.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21   #13
Jeckyl
Asset

I've been really happy with my Garmin GPS 60 CSX's performance. It tracks faster than just about any GPS I have previously used, and it's capable of recieving a signal through an aromored vehicle via the quad-helix antenna.

Clencher for me was the removable micro-sd chip.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsma...60csxRF-LG.jpg
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-- WOW! What a ride!"
Jeckyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:04   #14
TF Kilo
Guerrilla

Garmin E-trex for handheld use for me. I have maps, compass, and only use GPS on foot for a confirmation of where I already know I am.

Garmin 276C for vehicle mounted. I have the 128? meg card in it, because of software limitation in the computer mapping system.. won't let you fill up a 256 card, although they sell them.

I have over half of Alaska (read about 1/10th of the US) installed in the card, all topo maps to boot. It comes with streets built in.

Navigation, it can do the talk to you stuff, but at least from what I have found here, the streets that came with it stock aren't the best so I seem to track off a road all the time... which doesn't bother me, because I typically preplot my routes with checkpoints and just have to navigate to them.. plus there's only like 8 highways in alaska anyway.

Perfect for vehicular navigation though. It feeds off my truck for power, and I can install an external antenna if I want. Have had no need as of yet, though. Regardless of conditions. It Rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0379.jpg (63.6 KB, 43 views)
TF Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:15   #15
Para
Quiet Professional

The biggest problem, as I see it, with the Foretrex's is that they have an internal rechargable battery good for 15 hours. So what happens when you are on a 48 hour op?
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote