Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 01-14-2005, 12:43   #1
Rschoeneck
Asset

Question Fact or Fiction?

My first post here, hope it wont be my last, heh.

What, if any, additional opportunities for other schools are available for SF. Obviously Airborne is a prereq., but what about the others?

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

If these opportunities ARE available, are they also available to the NGSF?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Your Mileage May Vary.

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming.
Rschoeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57   #2
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Yes, things like this are available to SF - certainly scuba and HALO. Some of these school slots should be available to NG SF groups.
Old 01-14-2005, 13:21   #3
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschoeneck

What, if any, additional opportunities for other schools are available for SF. Obviously Airborne is a prereq., but what about the others?

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Yes they are depending on optempo and state funding. Unless your in a slot coded for Halo or Scuba its not as easy to get slots.

A buddy of mine while serving as a TmSgt used to judge his new 18b the following way:

If they didnt already have a Ranger tab, the first 4187 he should see from them had better be for Ranger school, as 18Bs on the team are the SMU/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Now if you can figure out what all that milspeak was your going to be doing good
Old 01-14-2005, 13:35   #4
Rschoeneck
Asset

So basically a 18D would be buggered?

As Psywar put it, with the Weap. Sgts. being the S pecial M ission U nit / P oint of I mpact for F oreign I nternal D efense , a 18D is pretty much buggered at getting the opportunity to attend these courses of instruction?

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by Rschoeneck; 01-14-2005 at 14:47.
Old 01-14-2005, 14:36   #5
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
As Psywar put it, with the Weap. Sgts. being the S pecial M ission U nit / P oint of I mpact for F oreign I nternal D efense , a 18D is pretty much buggered at getting the opportunity to attend these schools?

Thanks again for your time.
My my how times have changed.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 14:38   #6
Rschoeneck
Asset

Qrq 30

I apologize if I had offended you in some manner, just trying to glean a little bit of information.
Old 01-14-2005, 14:43   #7
Razor
Quiet Professional

There are lots of courses of instruction (noticed I didn't use the term 'schools') available out there to SF soldiers. Attendance relies upon need, timing, and luck, not necessarily in that order.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 14:48   #8
Rschoeneck
Asset

Razor

"noticed I didn't use the term 'schools'"

Noted, corrected, and thank you.
Old 01-14-2005, 15:46   #9
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

The Special Warfare Center conducts over 80 courses of instruction for SF and SOF personnel. That number varies both in number and subject as requirements arise. In addition there are numerous courses of instruction run by both DOD and other agencies that address special requirements for folks that need them and are qualified to attend. In short, there is no shortage of training and education opportunities for SF folks.

Jack Moroney
Old 01-14-2005, 15:56   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psywar1-0
as 18Bs on the team are the SMU/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.
What Psywar1-0 meant to say was: as 18Bs on the team are the SME's/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Subject Matter Experts / Primary Instructor

Team Sergeant

(There will not be threads/posts/discussions relating to SMU's on this board.)
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 16:51   #11
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I apologize if I had offended you in some manner, just trying to glean a little bit of information.
I'm not offended at all, although I find that particular smiley strange for an apology.

Excuse me, we didn't have all of that alphabet soup crap when I was active, some but now y'all seem to talk in acronyms.

The primary SF MOS Career Field is 18_ period. There are some, but few courses of instruction that are MOS specific. I was an 05B (18D) and attended many and became a UWO/SAR instructor. I wasn't hardly buggered.

If a team is to utilize a particular means of infiltration, the entire team must be qualified. The same would go for a special weapons qualification. One or two may be the primary personnel but everyone else is a back-up . People get hurt and die -- an unfortunate fact.

Through formal training and cross training I became qualified in all SF MOS's. I even completed the Infantry Officer's Pre-Comission Course.

There are myriads of training programs available and with the proper amount of ambition you can get almost any training you want unless it is MOS specific.

As an 05B I served, in addition to communications positions, as a UWO/SAR/Rough Terraine instructor; the TNG NCO of the UWO school in Thailand, RT Team Leader, I was PI for putting my team through Abn Training in Vietnam and various other duty positions. I don't feel I was buggered as a commo man.

In fact, COMMO Rules!!!!!

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 17:02   #12
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
What Psywar1-0 meant to say was: as 18Bs on the team are the SME's/PIs for Infantry tactics while doing FID.

Subject Matter Experts / Primary Instructor

Team Sergeant

(There will not be threads/posts/discussions relating to SMU's on this board.)
Thanks,

Thats why your the TmSgt and Im Not
Old 01-16-2005, 09:14   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Ranger?

HALO?

Scuba?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Badgefinder?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:17   #14
Weazle23
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Badgefinder?

TR
ROFL, was waiting for it
Old 01-16-2005, 11:34   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

School whore.

Medics can go to schools as well. I went to several very good ones and could have gone to more. I wanted to deploy instead. Language school didn't use to be part of the Q course, and it is absolutely necessary IMO. I got that one by breaking my back. Went to MFF. A couple of others. ACLS, The Lake, load planning (critical path to success in those days ), etc.

The important thing is get on a Team and by tactically and technically proficient - the rest will take care of itself.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote