Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 11-12-2014, 07:55   #1
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Poor ammo selection, Marine

If you hit with a 12g three times with at least one in the chest, your ammo selection sucks......LINK

Quote:
Reynolds didn't think twice. He shot the man in the hoodie three times. Reynolds says he hit him in the chest area.
The suspect stumbled back out the window, climbed over the fence and left a trail of blood behind. The blood stops in the middle of the road. Deputies think he hopped in a car and got away.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
If you hit with a 12g three times with at least one in the chest, your ammo selection sucks......LINK
I suspect his weapon was loaded with bird shot, 7's or 9's..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:23   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Yip bird shot. Amazing how many internet experts advise using bird shot for home defense to prevent over penetration.
I would agree with using bird shot inside the house and the last two rounds 00 Buck........

Even with bird shot he will have to go to a hospital to get it removed........ and they will call the police.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I agree with TS, bird shot at 15ft is not to be scoffed at,, IF the shot placement is good..

If you look at the still pic, you can see a semi-circle hole in the blinds that would be my guess for a 10-14 ft pattern. The pic also shows what might be storm glass, at least double pane. Additionally in the video, you can see the second shot had a similar exit.

Hit or Shot three time may be a secrete SEAL code for "I missed"??

I have read that heavy winter coats can also block bird shot??

PS: Wasn't there a Tony Orlando song?? "Shot three times"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 635512372913220412-Barossa-Shooting-2.JPG (21.5 KB, 68 views)

Old 11-12-2014, 11:41   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The normal pattern spread from a typical shotgun is about 1" per yard of distance. Inside the typical home, with engagement distances limited to 30 feet or less, you would expect the pattern to cover no more than 10" at the maximum.

The smaller the pellet size, the less energy and penetration it has at longer range. Smaller pellets are also more likely to be stopped by intervening cover, to include heavy clothing, as ranges increase.

This could be an advantage if you were concerned about overpenetration. A slug is going to go through a lot of normal building material before it stops. If you live on a farm, that means you might need some spackle. In an apartment building, you might need a good lawyer instead.

I prefer to keep my ready shotguns loaded with 00 Buck, and slugs on the sidesaddle just in case. You have to look at your own environment, and make your best ammo selection based on the possible scenarios you anticipate as likely. Not too many tactical situations allow you to download a tubular magazine, select a different shot size, and reload it before engaging. Essentially, you are probably going to fight with what you have loaded at the time.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 13:17   #6
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

I shot a double child rapist a few years ago with No7 shot at about 5 yds in the upper legs. He did not go down until I gave him a second from a little closer into the lower abdomen. I saw him again at the trial a few months later and he seemed none the worse for wear. He was wearing denim overalls.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 13:41   #7
steel_eel
Auxiliary

I am a fan of the Winchester PDX1 Personal-Defense Shotshells.
A 1oz slug and 3-00 buck pellets in each load.

Flechette rounds are cool, too.
steel_eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 15:09   #8
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
I shot a double child rapist a few years ago with No7 shot at about 5 yds in the upper legs. He did not go down until I gave him a second from a little closer into the lower abdomen. I saw him again at the trial a few months later and he seemed none the worse for wear. He was wearing denim overalls.
What about his voice though ? Did you turn him into a soprano?
Old 11-12-2014, 17:26   #9
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
What about his voice though ? Did you turn him into a soprano?
That was the first shot into the "upper leg", but as I say, surprisingly it didn't stop him. I now load those Hornady Zombie 000 rounds that move at 1600fps. I have not had occasion to shoot a person with them yet, but I recon they will make more of an impression than the No7s.
Old 11-12-2014, 17:33   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
but I recon they will make more of an impression than the No7s.
Also save your court system some time & money...

Old 11-13-2014, 09:42   #11
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Amen

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:48   #12
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
I now load those Hornady Zombie 000 rounds that move at 1600fps.
It is the florescent green hulls that are key to the success of the ammo....

Personally, I use Federal FliteControl 00B in 2.75 and 3". I have a bunch of the 3" (PFC157) left over from some testing so it is loaded right now. It spreads a little sooner than the 2.75" but stays within 6" at 15y in my cylinder bore Mossberg 590.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 11-13-2014 at 09:52.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30   #13
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
This was a tricky one. I was summoned to help on my gate intercom by some passers bye. I had no idea of the truth of the matter when I made my weapon selection, so I took the least lethal weapon and loading to chase the perp down. Only when I got to the scene, and saw the little girls, could I be sure of the seriousness of the affair. A three mile footrace followed until the perp was exhausted and turned to try and knife me. Thats when he got the first load into the wedding tackle. Had I known the gravity of the crime at the beginning, I would have taken something more lethal to the party.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36   #14
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
It is the florescent green hulls that are key to the success of the ammo....

Personally, I use Federal FliteControl 00B in 2.75 and 3". I have a bunch of the 3" (PFC157) left over from some testing so it is loaded right now. It spreads a little sooner than the 2.75" but stays within 6" at 15y in my cylinder bore Mossberg 590.
The packaging is quite lurid and my new home-defence system (waiting for a license) can gobble them by the dozen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Striker_shotgun-2.jpg (15.7 KB, 41 views)