Old 12-09-2004, 08:12   #1
Blood&Guts
Asset

Osut

18X leaving 12/29! Do any of you know if there are nights or weekends free during OSUT. My fellow 18xers and myself have been bouncing this around for a while. Some of us think that during the 10th week or so you get downtime, but personally I think you are restricted to base the whole 13 weeks.

Thanks for everything you guys have done for our country! God Bless America

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom- Gen. George Patton
Blood&Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:46   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Nights and weekends what?

I left Sandhill in September. I would not go there expecting to have alot of free time, this includes Sundays. The only time off we had was midcycle pass at the end of week 9. It was an overnight pass to Columbus, Ga. Not much you wanna see there. For my platoon is consisted of a 4 hour pass on Sand hill because someone was smuggling in Copenhagen. I have however heard stories of some OSUT training companies receiving passes eevery weekend. Looking back on things I am glad we did not.

After week 3 you should come off total control and there will be leadership positions assigned to people in your platoon. There will be a PG, or Platoon Guide, and 4 Squad Leaders. Depending on your DS's and if you are in a leadership position at the time you may make trips to the PX on the weekends for your squad or platoon, but DO NOT abuse the privilege. This means no ice cream, soda (if you cant have it...we couldnt), no phone use, etc.

Any free time you do receive should be utilized to prepare yourself and equipment for upcoming events. After all of your equipment and uniforms are squared away you will have plenty of time (probably 30 minutes a day) for letter writing and BS-ing. Use your time wisely. You will need good time management habits further down the road, trust me.

Nights and weekends...

Good luck.

HTH.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-09-2004 at 10:48.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 13:02   #3
Blood&Guts
Asset

Thanks alot for the reply!I should have stated that I was not asking to go party or anything like that. I had extra PT in mind! I have the same post on SOCNET and got blasted. I reread it and can see why. I wanted to clear the air before I got ripped over here too. Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2004, 15:35   #4
SeanM
Asset

My question is why you posted this one at least 3 different forums? Are you unsecure, or do you not trust any of the answers that you get? Btw, just so you know, many people here contribute on more than just this forum.
SeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 16:12   #5
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Cut him some slack Sean, odds are he's just looking for information and there is no problem with asking in more than one place.

Best of luck to both of you when you get to Bragg.
Old 12-09-2004, 16:50   #6
SeanM
Asset

Alright, its just that I see the same question posted on other forums(military.com) where he was given an answer and then he posts it here as well.. I guess I was a bit harsh, but its really not something to be worrying about now, its over 2 months away and if its to do PT, he can do PT any free time he gets, he doesn't need time off from Basic to do it. Anyway, good luck in Basic B&G, I will see you there... hope you are doing PT every day.
Old 12-09-2004, 20:40   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

You can do PT in your room. PUs and SUs require no equipment. You can do chins hanging off the door (right Crip?) If you're free on Sunday, go to chapel and pray you make it.

You stay out of that Burger King or whatever they have there now and leave those Rangers alone.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 20:50   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
You can do chins hanging off the door (right Crip?)
Right you are Sarn't. I prefer doing them in the latrine using the bar between the stalls though. Palms AWAY.

ETA:
Quote:
If you're free on Sunday, go to chapel and pray you make it.
I concur. Even if you do not attend services regularly, or at all, go. It will provide you some time to relax, think about the week ahead, and let you look back on the previous week. The best part, other than worshiping God, is its time away from the DS's.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 12-09-2004 at 21:39.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33   #9
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM
Alright, its just that I see the same question posted on other forums(military.com) where he was given an answer and then he posts it here as well.. I guess I was a bit harsh, but its really not something to be worrying about now, its over 2 months away and if its to do PT, he can do PT any free time he gets, he doesn't need time off from Basic to do it.
You weren't being harsh...especially since he got smoked on another site for the same Q.

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50   #10
Blood&Guts
Asset

Thanks for all the answers! I guess I am just a slow country fellow, you set three fishing lines and you are bound to get a bite somewhere. I did not think a person would object to that especially another CANDIDATE, good luck to you too though, hope you are doing PT everyday? I am offline til Christmas so someone please close this post. Happy Holidays everybody!
Old 12-10-2004, 15:55   #11
SeanM
Asset

B&G, if your still online today, read my PM reply. Like I said in the PM, just do the PT every free chance you get, don't worry about getting free time away to do it. Commercial breaks for me are my fun PT... just don't hurt yourself before you leave.