Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 04-11-2017, 16:57   #16
PRB
Quiet Professional

TS....why not find a Tricare provider and use the same Doc...for general health and referrals.
I've had no major issues but have had some PT after overdoing things etc...and the regular age related check ups and procedures with no issues.
I have one Dr., good guy, see him whenever and get referrals for anything outside of his scope.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 18:24   #17
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
Question...most guys here are retired SF types...I've never been to the VA, not once...I use my Tricare for life with the same Dr. I've seen for some years now....you guys use the VA?

I'm not here to defend the VA in any form but does the VA not spend most of it's time/resources working outside of its original charter?
Locally, guys that spent a few years in service use it for lifetime support....and dental too. These are not service related issues in the most part. They simply believe the VA owes them lifetime medical support for their one tour.

I suspect if the VA operated by it's initial charter these things could be fixed.

Service related injury.

Retiree's.
I spent 10 years in and don't have retirement. Was given 0% rating when I got out. Months later the VA sends me a letter telling me of an appointment I have in Nashville to have my back looked at. I was in a school at the time and said screw them. I don't regret that. I have a severe pet peeve over these yahoos that claim they are all fucked up from the war (OIF/OEF) and they all have PTSD. I think there is so many people gaming this system and sucking off the government that shouldn't be! That damn sure doesn't help out the soldiers that are their that actually need the help!! I have met some of these people who I know very rarely left their FOB if ever and now have PTSD.
My neighbors wife is (both ex military) 100% disabled! How the hell does that work?! I see her mow the lawn and drive around just fine. I don't understand what gives her that status and I've refused to bring it up as I know I will go off on a tirade of sucking needlessly from the VA system!
I got to see how crappy some of the service was as I drove a Viet Vet to appointments and hospital trips all the time until he died. Some of those people care and some damn sure don't give a shit!!

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 21:28   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The VA largely exists as an employment program for the unemployable.

The techs, nurses, and docs are pretty good, but the admin employees have no respect for the military, or veterans. Lots of racism there as well, at least in the three VA Medical Centers I have visited. It is pretty blatant, as employees refuse to see vets while they chat with one another, socialize, display bad attitude, and take personal phone calls while patients are waiting.

I get an annual physical there, which gives me some things like outside referrals, meds renewable online, etc. Most of the doctors are not Americans and some barely speak English.

I see my civilian primary care provider as well, and he fills the gaps, since my VA doc is not allowed to write scripts outside the VA system.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 22:09   #19
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

The last time I went to the VA, they did some "work" on my left knee. Afterwards, they informed me that I was missing 80% of my the outer ligament. That was something big army missed for 21+ years after a bad landing in Ft. Campbell. The Indian (call center) doctor's prognosis was that I was delaying the inventible and would have to have both knees replaced. Although that was the Cheyenne VA I went to, and I'm told there are much better ones to go to, I haven't been to a VA since.

Instead, I was able to get a TriCare referral and went to the Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO to get the knees worked on. Dr. Steadman said that considering all this chassis damage had accrued over 22+ years of punching the earth in the face with my body, I was never going to be 100% again. At least I no longer have constant pain and discomfort 365/year anymore. I can barely run but it's still good to know that I am still getting around on the original wheels.

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 04-11-2017 at 22:12.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:14   #20
Slowmoe
Asset

I retired in 2013 and use my local VA for all my medical care except Optometry and Dental. From 2013 to 2104 I had 15 surgeries for service connected problems, with a couple of month long stays in the ICU. In that time, like some here have stated, the admin portion of the VA is horrendous. They just do not give a fly crap about anyone, you see that in how they deal with you and their quality or work. The nurses, techs, and some of the doctors were good, but I did have a couple that will I will never allow them to touch me. Overall my experience at the VA is good.

What I do see at the VA is a large portion of the National Guard soldiers. What I gathered from those whom I have talked to, most have one deployment under their belt and “getting hurt” during drills to build up their medical record. This same sentiment is what I hear from the more senior people in the Student Veteran Organization on campus and some of the veterans in some of my courses.

One thing that the VA needs and does not address. It needs more veterans working there.
Slowmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:23   #21
JimP
Quiet Professional

My experience is roughly the same. I sic'd my (useless) congress critter on them. I don't know who is more incompetent and incapable of reading: the VA or my congressman.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:54   #22
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Upon retiring you are supposed to go to the nearest VA and get your physical for service related injuries. I did.

That was the last time I've been to the VA and hopefully I will never step foot in one again, except to volunteer.

I was creeped out about the whole process and was super pissed when I found out I was charged $11 dollars for a 2oz tube of hydrocortisone that I didn't really need and had the impression that it was free.

The whole place seemed like a death camp with zombie veterans that were just waiting in line to die. Maybe because I only saw one doc but my confidence level in the professional staff was not very high.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:16   #23
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

I've never been... Filled out all the paperwork as I prepared to retire and just couldn't convince myself to go. I figure, I've got all my original parts with limited modifications, healthcare coverage from work and just didn't want to clog up a system that was already struggling to keep up.

That's been since 2005.

At some point I may wish I had, but thus far no regrets.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 14:08   #24
MR2
Quiet Professional

TOMAHAWK9521 aka Lawn Dart.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 15:23   #25
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
TS....why not find a Tricare provider and use the same Doc...for general health and referrals.
I've had no major issues but have had some PT after overdoing things etc...and the regular age related check ups and procedures with no issues.
I have one Dr., good guy, see him whenever and get referrals for anything outside of his scope.
I tried that, cost me quite a bit. When I go to the VA I do not get charged for the visit, tests, blood work etc. And very few physicians take Tricare, very few. I now live off my E-8 retirement and as we all know that ain't shitte.
Old 04-12-2017, 21:13   #26
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
TOMAHAWK9521 aka Lawn Dart.
But I always grabbed grass, so I'm still here. That's the key. It's the second hit after you bounce that kills you. Always grab the grass upon impact.
Old 04-28-2017, 19:47   #27
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Some suggestions to correct the horrible state of affairs at the VA:

They need a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners leader for the VA - and for ALL of the bureaucratic garbage to be FIRED! There should no longer be "bonuses" for doing the job that they are being paid to do. That crap has got to stop ASAP!

Why doesn't the new VA leader go outside - to the millions of those who are unemployed or under-employed. I can assure you there will be an incentive to do good work. Hire some of those unemployed or under-employed veterans - those who know what fellow veterans are going through.

Get RID of the obligatory "college degree necessary" if that is what is standing in the way. There are many, many people out there with a lot more sense, as well as a decent work ethic, who do not have that indoctrination certificate.

Also, NO UNIONS!!!! Unions do nothing but encourage mediocrity and punish those who wish to excel. You do your job as you were hired to do it or you are gone, simple as that.

Just a few suggestions that may provide food for thought for someone who is willing and committed to service U.S. veterans, who deserve a hell of a lot more than they have received so far.
Old 04-30-2017, 19:01   #28
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I recently contacted reporters I know at Fox News and the NY Times trying to get them to interview a rather prominent and highly decorated member of this board who is having problems like what many of you have described. No interest.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 19:38   #29
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

I use the VA for Wellness. An annual exam, blood and urine tests. I also get all my standard meds from the VA. I order online and that is fairly error free if the damn Doc renews as she said she would.. I have had both very good and very bad primary car MDs. The Current Doc is Puerto Rican, very young, very pretty and very lazy. Her English skills are limited. I look much tougher than I really am so I use intimidation to get her to perform as she should.

I have found the VA Hospital in Atlanta GA much better run the Shreveport, LA. Both hospitals have some very good Medical help IF you can get an appointment. Other than Primary care I use Drs outside the VA, it has just been impossible to do all my care through the VA even if I chose to work that way.
Old 04-30-2017, 20:43   #30
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
I recently contacted reporters I know at Fox News and the NY Times trying to get them to interview a rather prominent and highly decorated member of this board who is having problems like what many of you have described. No interest.
In your AO contact KFI's Brian Suits. He's a war vet having issues with the VA also and joins FOX Business almost weekly (not just about the VA).

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote