Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 05-07-2004, 00:44   #31
hoepoe
Guerrilla

The wall is neccessary to continue to stop:
http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/mfa%20publ...0presentations

I will find some wall specific infoa bit later.

Hoepoe

presentation on the fence

http://w3.castup.net/mfa/presentations.htm

Last edited by hoepoe; 05-07-2004 at 00:55.
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:09   #32
Roycroft201

Thumbs up good discussion

Really interesting thread.

Roycroft201
Old 05-08-2004, 23:33   #33
danjam
Auxiliary

Although Hoepoe and I disagree on the status of the WB or the politics about it, I think we agree fully that the wall is a necessary thing. This is not covering the full impact of the wall and all who live within or without it. In other words we are, I shall speak for myself.. I am blatantly bias.

Taking into mind that the "wall" will become most certainly (in my opinion) a border, this can only help "peace" become more of a reality since there is something on the ground, physically helping it. Once it is there, you cannot ignore it.

Professionaly speaking, once it is up and the security systems are in place, well, I don't know what type of systems you guys have say on the Mexican border, (if you know then good if no, then :-) ) here our systems are quite good, and work rather well. It saves lives and this is the whole aim of the "wall". Each time there is an attack, the mention of whether there was or was not a "wall" is a large factor.
danjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:08   #34
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Reminds me of Wellington the first time he engaged Napoleon's forces in the Peninsular Campaigns. He battled the French in mid-Spain while building a wall system around Lisbon, the Torres Vedras Line, before falling back inside.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:32   #35
danjam
Auxiliary

wall's of history

Solid, I notice you are in England. There is a couple of walls there.

"When the Roman Emperor Hadrian visited Britain in 122 A.D he recognised the difficulties in establishing control in Caledonia and saw that it would be impossible to introduce the Picts to the Roman way of life. The Emperor therefore ordered the construction of a great defensive wall which would mark the northern limits of his empire and consolidate the hold on those parts of Britain already subdued. Hadrian's empire would not include Caledonia"

Tough lot the Scots.
danjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:40   #36
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

This is somewhat ancient post...but found this little piece of information and I hate to start "New" threads if there is something that has been discussed in the past.

R10

Quote:
Egyptians build steel Gaza wall
By Christian Fraser
BBC News, Cairo

Egypt has begun constructing a huge metal wall along its border with the Gaza Strip as it attempts to cut smuggling tunnels, the BBC has learned.

When it is finished the wall will be 10-11km (6-7 miles) long and will extend 18 metres below the surface.

The Egyptians are being helped by American army engineers, who the BBC understands have designed the wall.

The plan has been shrouded in secrecy, with no comment or confirmation from the Egyptian government.

The wall will take 18 months to complete.

For weeks local farmers have noticed more activity at the border where trees were being cut down, but very few of them were aware that a barrier was being built.

'Impenetrable'

That is because the barrier, made of super-strength steel, has been hidden deep underground.

The BBC has been told that it was manufactured in the US, that it fits together in similar fashion to a jigsaw, and that it has been tested to ensure it is bomb proof.

“ When we get a political solution, there will be no need for tunnels. I don't think this new wall will affect the smuggling, we are talking about thousands of tunnels ”
Abed Elrahman al-Assouli, Khan Younis, Gaza

It cannot be cut or melted - in short it is impenetrable.

Intelligence sources in Egypt say the barrier is being sunk close to the perimeter wall that already exists.

They claim 4km of the wall has already been completed north of the Rafah crossing, with work now beginning to the south.

The land beneath Egypt and Gaza resembles a Swiss cheese, full of holes and tunnels through which the Palestinians smuggle the everyday items they are denied by the blockade.

But the Israelis say the tunnels are also used to smuggle people, weapons, and the components of the rockets that are fired at southern Israeli towns.

The wall is not expected to stop all the smuggling, but it will force the Palestinians to go deeper and it will likely cut the hundreds of superficial tunnels closer to the surface that are used to move the bulk of the goods.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02   #37
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
The Egyptians are being helped by American army engineers, who the BBC understands have designed the wall.

The plan has been shrouded in secrecy, with no comment or confirmation from the Egyptian government.

The wall will take 18 months to complete.

For weeks local farmers have noticed more activity at the border where trees were being cut down, but very few of them were aware that a barrier was being built.

'Impenetrable'

That is because the barrier, made of super-strength steel, has been hidden deep underground.

The BBC has been told that it was manufactured in the US ...
A potential test-run for our southwest border?
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/1...border-tunnel/

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Last edited by Masochist; 12-10-2009 at 12:20. Reason: adding link
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11   #38
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
A potential test-run for our southwest border?
I just find some twisted humor in the idea of protests to the north...while Egypt builds to the South with little to no fanfare.

--------

It was probably one of the proposals that were not selected by the U.S.. Heck we could use the "clunkers" to build the barrier.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote