Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 04-22-2004, 19:00   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

18D Medical Training Skill set

18D30 Special Forces Medical Sgt: 46 weeks

Basic Life Support/Automatic External Defibrillation (AED); pharmaceutical calculations; anatomy; physiology; pathophysiology; medical terminology; basic physical exam techniques; medical documentation; pharmacology; basic airway management; medical patient assessment; advanced airway management; prehospital trauma emergencies; patient management tasks/skills; advanced trauma skills; operating room procedures; minor surgical skills; obstetric and pediatric emergencies; crdiac pharmacology; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), clinical/ambulance rotation; extended care to the trauma patient in a field environment; mass casualty; military triage system; medical mission planning; medical threat; preventive medicine; physical examination; veterinary; dental laboratory; medical diseases and case studies; nursing; initial and long-term wound care; echelons of care (EOC) including training in combat trauma management, UW hospital, surgical procedures, preanesthesia, anesthesia, postanesthesia care, nursing care, records and reports, radiology, and central materials supply; attends a special operations clinical training site (30 days at a U.S. Army medical training facility within CONUS) including clinical training/experience and evaluation on ability to apply patient assemssment/management/care skills in various clinical settings; rotations through surgery, dermatology, pediatrics, orthopedics, radiology, preventive medicine/community health, and the outpatient/family practice clinic.

For a start...
In addition to the above, they can expect significant amounts of formal training and opportunities in:
-Dive medicine
-Altitude physiology
-Large Animal Veterinary care
-Holisitc medicine
-Ritualistic and herbal remedy
-Superstition and cultural peculiarity
-Dental extraction
-Orthopedics
-Advanced Trauma Life Support

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:12   #2
IMUA
Quiet Professional

Damn fine post...

Joe...
Its been quite awhile since I've looked back at that syllabus...mighty impressive. Its interesting tho... that in most civilian settings, these guys can't get jobs as ER Techs...go figure!
I have 19 18D trained types (CAG, SF, SEAL)with me here in Iraq...doesn't get any better than that!
Best regards, Bro......

RB
Old 09-04-2009, 12:18   #3
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMUA View Post
Joe...
Its been quite awhile since I've looked back at that syllabus...mighty impressive. Its interesting tho... that in most civilian settings, these guys can't get jobs as ER Techs...go figure!
I have 19 18D trained types (CAG, SF, SEAL)with me here in Iraq...doesn't get any better than that!
Best regards, Bro......

RB
So very true, it's a shame that after all that training you can't challenge a state board for EMT-P or LPN/RN. Many moons ago ago you could challenge for LPN in Maryland & Cali but I don't think you can now. I'm a lowly ER Tech for the VA now and do alot of instructing in the private sector.
Old 09-04-2009, 14:14   #4
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF DOC View Post
So very true, it's a shame that after all that training you can't challenge a state board for EMT-P or LPN/RN...
Thats not true.

ATP card holders get direct reciprocity in Georgia at the paramedic level. SOCM/18D grads can again challenge the NREMT-P test and can also sit for the California RN exam...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 21:03   #5
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Thats not true.

ATP card holders get direct reciprocity in Georgia at the paramedic level. SOCM/18D grads can again challenge the NREMT-P test and can also sit for the California RN exam...

Crip
Thanks for the info Surgicalcric was not aware of that...
Old 05-01-2010, 21:23   #6
whocares175
Quiet Professional

just thought id put this out also:
jsomtc is currently in the works of getting the 18d accredited and making it a degree producing course. as of now many colleges provide 20-30 credits simply for the 18d as is and with the other experiences of the training pipeline it can account for more credits. what college and how soon this will actually is a different story. the acreditation society came through last september and last i checked the command is still working on it. also, there is another program to help retiring 18d's become pa's. they take your experience, turn it into college credit, you attend a few classes at college (not sure which one but it's around the raleigh/durham area) and they will certify you as a pa with one catch, you have to work in the rural areas of nc for i believe it's 5 years.
when i find out more, i'll post it.
as previously mentioned, socm still counts as schooling to challenge national registry at the paramedic level although you have to do the testing on your own. the school house is currently working on making the hands on portion available on a volunteer basis but so far we haven't had enough people will or someone available to proctor.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th
whocares175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 17:15   #7
Dragbag036
Quiet Professional

ATP to RN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Thats not true.

Crip
How can I find out more about the California RN?
Old 05-30-2010, 20:31   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbag036 View Post
How can I find out more about the California RN?
Guy (I believe it was Guy) has the details. Shoot him a PM.

Crip

Old 05-31-2010, 14:12   #9
TrooperT
Quiet Professional

18D Challenging California RN

Completing the 18D course and functioning in the field does not qualify you to take the California RN Exam. Here is what the application for licensure by examination from the CA State Board of nursing says about Medical Corpsman:
CORPSMEN:
Pursuant to Section 1418 of the Business and Professions Code, corpsmen must meet the same theory and clinical qualifications as that of a registered nurse. As a result, those applicants applying for licensure based on military training and experience may not meet the minimum qualifications for licensure.

The Board suggests that you contact a college in your area regarding your educational background. The college may be able to advise you if you will be able to use any of your course work and/or training toward a degree in registered nursing.

Also, you may want to contact the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians to inquire about licensure requirements for a licensed vocational nurse. That board may be contacted at (916) 263-7800 and is located at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 205 Sacramento, CA 95833.

You may also visit their web site at www.bvnpt.ca.gov. If you choose to submit an application for licensure, your fees will be nonrefundable and your application
will be evaluated. • Please mail the Request for Transcript form to the school of nursing with the fee required by the school. • Transcripts must be received and evaluated by the Board prior to being found eligible for the
examination. If you have any questions, please contact the Board of Registered Nursing at (916) 322-3350.
Having both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree in nursing, I'm pretty confident that the average 18D would not pass the NCLEX because the focus is different and a lot of subjects are just not taught to SF. It would also be pretty hard to prove that you met the clinical hour requirements which is broken down into things like OB, gerontology, human growth and development, psychiatric, and many more.

Being an 18D is an incredible leg up for success in college for just about any aspect of medicine, but just like selection and the Q Course, there are no short-cuts.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:03   #10
krader
Asset

article

What a great job these guys have, and unique skills too. Here is an article I found online today. It would be very interesting to read a book written by a team of SF medics about their experiences and cases they have seen in their work.

It's too bad they don't get the respect they deserve job hunting if what IMUA said is true.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._medic20.shtml

krader
krader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:53   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Re: Damn fine post...

Quote:
Originally posted by IMUA
Joe...
Best regards, Bro......

RB
You are so right...I was amazed when trying to get employment (during days o divorce) at finding out there was no civilian equivalent and ended up being the night manager for a pizza delivery
At least now they do receive NREMT-P during the first portion of their training.
Additionally, I understand that they are receiveing training in Open reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) for complicated fractures. What an incredible step.
Watch out for all those knuckleheads if they are in the same room together and someone gets hurt...
I had a NASTY dislocation during PT in ANCOC, I think I was more frightened as I was summarily surrounded by 10 other 18D's who were saying in unison: "Aww COOL!!! Let me fix it!!!"
Be Careful buddy...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 14:34   #12
brownapple

Re: Re: Damn fine post...

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle5US

Watch out for all those knuckleheads if they are in the same room together and someone gets hurt...
I had a NASTY dislocation during PT in ANCOC, I think I was more frightened as I was summarily surrounded by 10 other 18D's who were saying in unison: "Aww COOL!!! Let me fix it!!!"
Be Careful buddy...

Eagle
LOL

I've seen the finger in question. It is permanently fucked. Actually, it isn't funny...but having an 18D have a bunch of other 18Ds "fix it" so well that nothing will ever fix it is pretty funny.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:49   #13
Needle D
Quiet Professional

Eagle,
Not true anymore. I'm now in language school and was in the first class that had the NREMT-P removed from the training schedule. There wasn't even an option for us to take it on our own. We have been trying to find a place to take it on our own. No luck so far. So what this means is I can't even start an IV on the out side.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:43   #14
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Needle D:

That's interesting.

Depending on if the curriculum was changed you may not be eligible to take the NREMT-P test. The syllabus must be DOT approved, in part, to test NREMT-P. RN's cant take it either because of this.

You can contact the Nat Reg office in Ohio and they can tell you if the curriculum still qualifies and you can also find a test site on their website here.

Was Registry testing removed from the SOCM students as well?

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 04-27-2004 at 05:47.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:32   #15
DoctorDoom
Guerrilla

x

Last edited by DoctorDoom; 07-29-2013 at 11:25.
DoctorDoom is offline   Reply With Quote