mark46th
Quiet Professional

Tomahawk me!!
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 21:09   #767
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

Syrup time

Spring came early this year, but the sap flowed around its normal time with an average yield. The picture below was roughly 100 gallons of sap from our school forest that we finished at home using the turkey fryer. Most of this will go to the district's 4th grade classes who came out for sap season field trips.

But the best thing about this batch was that our 10 year old girl and 8 year old son were really able to this year. They helped set up the gravity line, tap the trees, boil, and then can the syrup. The final part here had my wife pulling the jars from the bath and bravely holding the jars while I poured the syrup. Our daughter wiped the rims, and little dude put on the lids. A great team effort.

Four quarts will last us a year, but some syrup found its way into my coffee the other day. Not sure how long this batch will last

Good memories for the kids
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11079635_10153137146032348_518905744283437586_n.jpg (53.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Rumblyguts; 04-01-2015 at 04:56.
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:58   #768
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblyguts View Post
Spring came early this year, but the sap flowed around its normal time with an average yield. The picture below was roughly 100 gallons of sap from our school forest that we finished at home using the turkey fryer. Most of this will go to the district's 4th grade classes who came out for sap season field trips.

But the best thing about this batch was that our 10 year old girl and 8 year old son were really able to this year. They helped set up the gravity line, tap the trees, boil, and then can the syrup. The final part here had my wife pulling the jars from the bath and bravely holding the jars while I poured the syrup. Our daughter wiped the rims, and little dude put on the lids. A great team effort.

Four quarts will last us a year, but some syrup found its way into my coffee the other day. Not sure how long this batch will last

Good memories for the kids
Nice! I remember doing it myself growing up in the North East! Great pic!
Old 04-01-2015, 16:14   #769
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Very nice looking syrup!

See now, this is the difference between the North and the South. If he was living in Georgia or Tennessee, those mason jars would be filled with a clear, fiery liquid...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 22:09   #770
letinsh
Quiet Professional

Grillin' season is kicking off. Started off the year tonight with lamb kebabs and veggies, served on a bed of saffron rice. Pita bread made fresh this morning at the Farmer's Market and homemade chutney.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150404_192210[1].jpg (75.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-04-2015, 22:17   #771
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinsh View Post
Grillin' season is kicking off.
Whaaaaat? Dude, grillin' season never ends! Smells good, though.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:59   #772
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Whaaaaat? Dude, grillin' season never ends! Smells good, though.

Pat
Ditto, if I don't kill something once or twice a week I don't feel like a carnivore.....

Very nice looking meat there letinsh..... I like your technique.

Opps I meant grill....
Old 04-05-2015, 13:16   #773
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Cleaning out the freezer. Having wished everyone a Happy and contemplative Easter, I’m contemplating which wine will go with the 6 lbs. of mesquite smoked brisket that's been on almost 3 hours now. Given the way it smells, the dogs are contemplating too. Not sure what the wife and I are going to do with 6 lbs. of it but I am sure we'll figure out something. For cross-thread points, the red stuff is a generous application of Dillo Dust on a 2/3rds Dijon, 1/3rd honey mustard base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2010.jpg (113.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2012.jpg (92.0 KB, 28 views)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 13:19   #774
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Cleaning out the freezer. Having wished everyone a Happy and contemplative Easter, I’m contemplating which wine will go with the 6 lbs. of mesquite smoked brisket that's been on almost 3 hours now. Given the way it smells, the dogs are contemplating too. Not sure what the wife and I are going to do with 6 lbs. of it but I am sure we'll figure out something. For cross-thread points, the red stuff is a generous application of Dillo Dust on a 2/3rds Dijon, 1/3rd honey mustard base.
I'm sure what you don't eat will willingly be consumed by the four-legged garbage disposals you have in the background.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 15:45   #775
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Sandwiches all the rest of the week...... That cooked meat will keep for 7 days. You can also refreeze after cooking.......
Old 04-05-2015, 15:50   #776
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Ham with Parsley Sauce, Champ and carrots with a Whiskey & Ginger Glaze

Todays meal will be ham with Parsley Sauce, Champ and Sticky carrots with a Whiskey & Ginger Glaze.

Without looking it up what country's food am I preparing?
Old 04-05-2015, 18:08   #777
Susa
Guerrilla

Ha! Ireland. (Whisky being the give away)
Susa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:23   #778
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susa View Post
Ha! Ireland. (Whisky being the give away)
Because of the Whisky, I was going to guess Irish or Scottish. But, since it sounds tasty, I'd say Irish also.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 19:45   #779
letinsh
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Ditto, if I don't kill something once or twice a week I don't feel like a carnivore.....

Very nice looking meat there letinsh..... I like your technique.

Opps I meant grill....
TY. I've been wanting to try this for quite some time but my wife spent some time in Mongolia and swore off lamb and goat due to their....er...unique prep methods (hair on, etc), but I cut it with beef and she really liked it. Making it again on Thursday for company
Old 04-05-2015, 21:01   #780
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I did a butterflied leg of lamb on the grill tonight.... WA state grocery stores do not sell butterflied legs of lamb, do I bought a boneless leg of lamb and butterflied the damn thing myself. The prep goprior to grilling is rubbed with fresh lemon juice, salt, fresh ground pepper a little garlic and a touch of rosemary. Grilling technique - direct heat, 5 min each side then 10 min each side. medium high heat, start the fat side up.... I used a little too hot grill (my Weber 18" that I'm out of practice with) and forgot and put the fat side down to start. It still turned out very nicely.

Garlic sour cream mashed potatoes and steamed green beans were the sides.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote