Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18B

Old 04-24-2009, 11:28   #1
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Howitzer Question

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this? And does anyone know the nickname for it? (Kind of a "guess that weapon" deal )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howitzer1.JPG (122.7 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg howitzer2.JPG (133.3 KB, 132 views)

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14   #2
bravo22b
Guerrilla

I could very well be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that is a 75mm pack howitzer. My first guess is M1A1 with M8 carriage, but that is based on a very limited amount of knowledge, namely, a quick Google search.

TM 9-319 is the manual, and apparently is available at the following:

http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp

use "TM 9-319" in the "title" search block, and scroll through until you find it.

I just discovered a totally new way to waste time. That website looks like it has some absolutely amazing stuff on it, not the least of which looks like every weapon TM going back many years.

Last edited by bravo22b; 04-24-2009 at 12:29. Reason: better information
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:39   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
M116 howitzer
75mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 on Carriage (airborne) M8
Type Pack howitzer
Place of origin US
Service history : Used by US

Specifications
Weight 653 kg (1,439 lbs)
Length 3.68 m (12 ft)
Barrel length Bore: 1.19 m / 15.9 calibers
Overall 1.38 m / 18.4 calibers
Width 1.22 m (4 ft)
Height 0.94 m (3 ft)
Crew 6 or more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caliber 75 mm (2.95 in)
Breech Horizontal block
Recoil Hydropneumatic, constant
Carriage Box trail, dismantling
Elevation +5° to +45°
Traverse 6°
Rate of fire 3-6 rounds per minute
Muzzle velocity 381 m/s (1,250 ft/s)

The 75mm Pack Howitzer M1 (also known by its post-war designation M116) was designed in the United States in 1920s to meet a need for an artillery piece that could be moved across difficult terrain. The gun and carriage was designed so that it could be broken down into several pieces to be carried by pack animals. The gun saw combat in Second World War with the US Army (primarily used by airborne units), with US Marine Corps, and was also supplied to foreign forces.

In addition to the pack / air portable configuration, the gun was mounted on a non-dismantling carriage to serve as a field artillery piece. Derived vehicle mounted howitzers M2 and M3 were used in the 75mm HMC M8 and some LVT models. In addition, the M1 in its original version was mated to a number of other self-propelled carriages, though only one of those - 75mm HMC T30 - reached mass production.

www.ww2gyrene.org/weapons_pack_howitzer_75mm.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M116_howitzer
Nailed that cold.. Good job..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 13:07   #4
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo22b View Post
I could very well be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that is a 75mm pack howitzer. My first guess is M1A1 with M8 carriage, but that is based on a very limited amount of knowledge, namely, a quick Google search.

TM 9-319 is the manual, and apparently is available at the following:

http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp

use "TM 9-319" in the "title" search block, and scroll through until you find it.

I just discovered a totally new way to waste time. That website looks like it has some absolutely amazing stuff on it, not the least of which looks like every weapon TM going back many years.

Thank you for the new Pub resource. Still cannot find the exact manual, but there is still searching to be done. The nickname question has still been left unanswered though

"Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion, satisfies me."- Richard Proenneke
Old 04-24-2009, 13:18   #5
bravo22b
Guerrilla

I was able to find the manual by going to the "military publications", then "search", and enter TM 9-319 in the title block. It then takes you to something like 186 results. I was able to find it on page 6 of the results. The second time I tried, I had to click on the "title" heading to rank the results in order by TM number. Worked for me, anyway. YMMV.

Worst case scenario, I could upload the file here, but its 28 MB.
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 13:27   #6
Richard
Quiet Professional

You join a ceremonial unit or something? Now all you need is an MB or GPW to tow it behind.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 13:51   #7
BryanK
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You join a ceremonial unit or something?

Richard's $.02
No Sir, a recently deactivated Artillery unit turned it into us to be inspected for turn-in. Wish I could have it out in front of our armory though

Quote:
Originally posted by bravo22b:
I was able to find the manual by going to the "military publications", then "search", and enter TM 9-319 in the title block. It then takes you to something like 186 results. I was able to find it on page 6 of the results. The second time I tried, I had to click on the "title" heading to rank the results in order by TM number. Worked for me, anyway. YMMV.
I finally found it on doc #177. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2009, 20:20   #8
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You join a ceremonial unit or something? Now all you need is an MB or GPW to tow it behind.

Richard's $.02
Just don't let someone stuff the tube with golf balls before you put the charge into the breech and fire it off for retreat!
Old 04-24-2009, 20:24   #9
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Just don't let someone stuff the tube with golf balls before you put the charge into the breech and fire it off for retreat!
And that's why they check them before each firng at Fort Sam Houston - cost the Army a bit of $$ to fix all those senior officer quarter's windows. Medics can be hell if left unsupervised and bored.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 04-25-2009, 09:56   #10
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Bryan-
I'm sure glad I don't live in your neighborhood, that is one hell of a home defense weapon - do you need beehive rounds to keep the gang-bangers and zombies at bay?

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:01   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
And that's why they check them before each firng at Fort Sam Houston - cost the Army a bit of $$ to fix all those senior officer quarter's windows. Medics can be hell if left unsupervised and bored.

Richard's $.02
I smell a war story???

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:07   #12
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I smell a war story???
That would be the small alligator 'borrowed' from the San Antonio Zoo and chained to the flagpole - by the time the flag detail showed up for reville, the gator was pissed and the flags didn't go up as scheduled. Those were some good days.

Richard's $.02

Old 04-25-2009, 13:44   #13
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I smell a war story???
Now that little Howitzer brang back some memories. When I was a young MP in the 9th Division at Ft. Lewis, WA I was on the detail that had to fire that thing every morning at Reveille. It sat next to the flag pole right across the street from I Corps HQs. We also had to clean it. If I remember correctly, the prototype or one of the early models had spoked "wagon type" wheels. It would be nice to have something like that in the backyard for 4th of July celebrations. And yes, we were required to check the bore before firing it.

Last edited by mojaveman; 05-11-2010 at 17:51.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 13:07   #14
Waldonator
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
LMAO!! There were "some people" that have stuffed it with less dangerous things, such as confetti, the styrofoam "peanuts", and the likes
Old 05-11-2010, 17:39   #15
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

After my return from my second RVN tour, I was stationed at Fort Ord with the G-3 Proficiency Testing Section. All of our NCOs were assigned to the post hospital because they were recovering from wounds. One day the G-3 SGM came to our office and said that he needed enough Sergeants to man six 75 mm howitzers for a salute battery.

Apparently a Chilian Sailing ship was going to be in Carmel Bay and they would fire a 21 gun salute to the U.S. and we were to answer with a 21 gun salute back.

We loaded up six duce and a halfs with NCOs and drove to Carmel. When our convoy reached the intersection of Highway 1 and Carpenter, there was a demonstration of hippies who taunted us with anti-war slogans. One of the demonstrators, who was very vocal and profane, yelled into the 4th 2.5 truck about baby killers.

Big mistake! SFC Delbert O. Jennings, 1st Cav Medal of Honor holder, was in that truck. Jennings jumped down and took out his pocket knife. He then proceeded to cut the hippies long hair off.

Jennings got back on the truck and we fired our salute.

The next day the M.P.s and the Carmel Police came by with the hippie. We were made to stand in a line-up. The hippie said that he couldn't identify his assailant because we were all dressed alike the previous day in dress greens, bloused boots, infantry blue scarfs and shiny black helmet liners.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote