Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 12-04-2016, 07:37   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Such a thankful nation

Such a thankful nation, such wonderful people and my oh my how they take care of their veterans.

(And no, hindsight being 20-20, I would not do it again, I'd rather be a divorce lawyer and make tons of money while fucking over people in our "justice system". Screw being a disabled veteran for a mostly ungrateful nation.)

4 quit after Oklahoma veteran with maggots in wound dies

Published December 04, 2016
· Associated Press

TALIHINA, Okla. – Four staff members have resigned from a southeastern Oklahoma veterans facility rather than face the possibility of getting fired, after a resident was found to have maggots in a wound.

Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs executive director Myles Deering said the maggots were discovered while the patient was alive at the facility in Talihina, about 130 miles southeast of Tulsa. Deering said the maggots were not the cause of his death.

Deering said the veteran came to the center with an infection and died of sepsis, the Tulsa World reported.

The agency said a physician's assistant and three nurses, including the director of nursing, resigned after an investigation was conducted. Spokesman Shane Faulkner said all four chose to resign before the termination process began.

cont:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/04...ound-dies.html
Old 12-04-2016, 10:55   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Such a thankful nation, such wonderful people and my oh my how they take care of their veterans.

(And no, hindsight being 20-20, I would not do it again, I'd rather be a divorce lawyer and make tons of money while fucking over people in our "justice system". Screw being a disabled veteran for a mostly ungrateful nation.)

· Associated Press

TALIHINA, Okla. – Four staff members have resigned from a southeastern Oklahoma veterans facility rather than face the possibility of getting fired, after a resident was found to have maggots in a wound.

Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs executive director Myles Deering said the maggots were discovered while the patient was alive at the facility in Talihina, about 130 miles southeast of Tulsa. Deering said the maggots were not the cause of his death.

Deering said the veteran came to the center with an infection and died of sepsis, the Tulsa World reported.

The agency said a physician's assistant and three nurses, including the director of nursing, resigned after an investigation was conducted. Spokesman Shane Faulkner said all four chose to resign before the termination process began.

cont:

They should be charged for malpractice and neglect.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 13:55   #3
Sohei
Area Commander

As disgusting as it is, it's getting to the point where absolutely nothing shocks me when reading about the antics that is the "VA."

It needs to have a complete "restart."
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:45   #4
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

This makes me wish Mad Dog was nominated as SECVA.
Old 12-04-2016, 21:28   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
This makes me wish Mad Dog was nominated as SECVA.
The apparent amount of malignancy in the system along with the entrenched feds would be extremely difficult to slice away even in 8 years. Kongress does not fund "fixing" the VA.....Kingress wants to get out of the healthcare business completely (with the exception of their own peraonal benefits). Tricare will be next.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:52   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Criminal charges; and some rope.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:18   #7
bblhead672
Area Commander

Shameful and disgusting. These people should be banned from ever providing care to patients again anywhere.

The VA is in serious need of someone to drain the swamp.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37   #8
echoes
Area Commander

Unhappy

Quote:

· Associated Press

cont:

Since reading about this atrocity yesterday, I have been unable to eat or sleep...

This happened in my State, Oklahoma, and for shame on governor Mary Falling- Pants for her blatant disregard of this Veteran's treatment. She has yet to publicly responded to this shameful act with outrage!

What a POS we have here leading our state run facilities!!!

And then there is this from her majesty's website: (NOTE: Put away any sharp objects within stone's throw before reading...)

Press Release

Monday, December 5, 2016

Gov. Fallin Announces Trip to Visit Troops

ARLINGTON, VA – Governor Mary Fallin announced today from the Pentagon that she is traveling this week to the Middle East to visit with American troops:

“I am always impressed and inspired by our men and women in uniform. The risks they take and the sacrifices they make are unfathomable to most of us. Yet they remain committed to the mission command, and motivated to fight for our nation’s freedom.

“My deepest gratitude to their families and loved ones for their sacrifices, and to the businesses for whom these National Guard members work. Your support and encouragement is critical to both the success of this mission and these men and women.

“It will be wonderful to spend some time with these brave men and women in the coming days.”

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=27310

Oh, and her Hine-ASS can be reached here:

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/fo...b2c0aa58b9f358

E-mail Governor Fallin: OR...

"The governor appreciates hearing your comments, questions and concerns. If your message is an emergency or requires immediate attention, please call the governor's office at (405) 521-2342."

Holly...
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:29   #9
LarryW
Area Commander

The shitheads who allowed this catastrophe to happen should be charged with first degree manslaughter, at least. But, you can bet your bippy they are just the tip of the turd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
The apparent amount of malignancy in the system along with the entrenched feds would be extremely difficult to slice away even in 8 years. Kongress does not fund "fixing" the VA.....Kingress wants to get out of the healthcare business completely (with the exception of their own peraonal benefits). Tricare will be next.
Yes, sir. Correct observation. The great "Kongress" has no motivation to fix the cluster gaggle that is the VA, neither are they inclined to fix anything that requires hard choices and across the aisles leadership...immigration, environment, infrastructure, the IRS, healthcare, and on & on. All they want to do is pass banal "resolutions" that mean nothing. They are a storm of turds.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 14:52   #10
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Since reading about this atrocity yesterday, I have been unable to eat or sleep...

This happened in my State, Oklahoma, and for shame on governor Mary Falling- Pants for her blatant disregard of this Veteran's treatment. She has yet to publicly responded to this shameful act with outrage!

What a POS we have here leading our state run facilities!!!

And then there is this from her majesty's website: (NOTE: Put away any sharp objects within stone's throw before reading...)

Press Release

Monday, December 5, 2016

Gov. Fallin Announces Trip to Visit Troops

ARLINGTON, VA – Governor Mary Fallin announced today from the Pentagon that she is traveling this week to the Middle East to visit with American troops:

“I am always impressed and inspired by our men and women in uniform. The risks they take and the sacrifices they make are unfathomable to most of us. Yet they remain committed to the mission command, and motivated to fight for our nation’s freedom.

“My deepest gratitude to their families and loved ones for their sacrifices, and to the businesses for whom these National Guard members work. Your support and encouragement is critical to both the success of this mission and these men and women.

“It will be wonderful to spend some time with these brave men and women in the coming days.”

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=27310

Oh, and her Hine-ASS can be reached here:

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/fo...b2c0aa58b9f358

E-mail Governor Fallin: OR...

"The governor appreciates hearing your comments, questions and concerns. If your message is an emergency or requires immediate attention, please call the governor's office at (405) 521-2342."

Holly...
I'm a former Okie but haven't been there in years.
Not familiar with this gov. but with the statement I just read, and not having heard her make a comment about the VA issue there, I am reminded of having to sit at the Thanksgiving dinner table in the mess hall with Congresswoman Pat Schroeder, at our base in Korea. What a POS she was for sure and made all the same nice goo, goo comments about how she felt about our troops.
These posers with their fake support comments need to be called out publicly!

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:47   #11
doctom54
Quiet Professional

A couple of points.
First this is NOT the US Dept of Veterans Affairs. This is an Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs http://odva.ok.gov facility. They run 7 intermediate to skilled nursing facilities in Oklahoma.
No excuses but Talihina is in a beautiful location in the middle of nowhere in SE OK. Getting good help is very difficult (the medical directors job was open for several years if i remember correctly) since there is not a pool of skilled personnel.
The PA who resigned has had several disciplinary action and was rehired a month later at another OK VA facility. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gover...6df3ae217.html

From my viewpoint as a physician this is a reflection on the medical director (and there wasn't one), the director of OK VA and ultimately the Governor of OK. They should be held accountable.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:16   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Yup, you cannot just fire civilians that are federal employees, takes an act of congress. Until we change that nothing is going to get fixed.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:29   #13
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yup, you cannot just fire civilians that are federal employees, takes an act of congress. Until we change that nothing is going to get fixed.
Thats the main reason I've never taken a VA job. You can only lead/manage effectively if you have the authority to fire.