Old 12-28-2006, 20:38   #76
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Rick, Looks like I may be around for a while, just got interviewed by Paraclete and have a follow up on Wednesday...if this pans out I'll stay out of the sand for a while.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 20:39   #77
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
Rick, Looks like I may be around for a while, just got interviewed by Paraclete and have a follow up on Wednesday...if this pans out I'll stay out of the sand for a while.
Good, you need a freakin break!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:48   #78
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
familiar names...sounds like a 3rd Battalion manifest...
Actually it was put together by the Senile Officers Turkey Farm Europe (SOTFE) for those of us playing around in Flintlock that year. The bulk of the folks were from 3/10 because they were running the EDH, I was over there checking on my deployed A-Teams and wanted to give SOTFE some guidance about a stupid plan that they were proposing for one of my teams and had some time to kill .
Old 12-29-2006, 18:55   #79
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
I was over there checking on my deployed A-Teams and wanted to give SOTFE some guidance about a stupid plan that they were proposing for one of my teams and had some time to kill .
most of the names i saw were guys i barely knew in 3rd Bn...and how did discussing an stupid plan with SOTFE go...? i seem to recall a discussion i had regarding a certain "training opportunity" with them ending with their critique "Since the fundamental premise of our war plan hasn't changed since the Treaty of Versailles, we see no need to adapt to the contemporary situation"...or words to that affect...in short, if they had to work to change something, it wasn't likely to happen...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 19:57   #80
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
..and how did discussing an stupid plan with SOTFE go...? ..
Almost ended in a courts-martial. They wanted to skyhook out a member of a 4 man pilot team leaving three guys with a whole bunch of equipment that couldn't be split up very well. The whole point of putting the pilot team in was to have them feed SITREPs back to me so I could prepare the follow on teams for infiltration and develop an area command. It made no sense as we had good commo, nothing could be gained by ripping out a radio operator from Germany back to the UK just to jump him back in again with the infiltrating teams. It also made no sense to me to practice something that had to be done right the first time everytime with one of my troops. So I talked the Group Cdr into letting me go over there, check on the two teams that were already deployed and tell SOTFE that if they wanted to exercise the Fulton Recovery System then why not jerk out one of the downed pilots we were running thru the E&E net. Failing that why not jerk me out and I could go back and brief the follow on teams that I was slated to control anyway and reinfiltrate with them. I told him I would have to jump back in anyway because you only get paid jump pay for jumping out of a plane and not by being dragged back into one. Well this jerk LTC told me that no, the military spent too much money on airforce folks to put them at risk and that one of my soldiers was more expendable than was I should this thing not function correctly. That set me off and I jumped dead in his shit, went to knock him on his ass while muttering some incoherent choice words when my SGM (Ernie "Duke" Snider) grabbed me from behind and hauled me away before I could do any damage. The LTC registered a protest as to my threating nature and "overly protective attitude toward my soliders" and of course because it was only the three of us ,and Duke had not seen anything "unusual" ,I got off with a nod and a wink by the Group Cdr. So how do you think my discussion went?
Old 12-29-2006, 20:24   #81
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
They wanted to skyhook out a member of a 4 man pilot team
well, two years later, Cliff Strickland lost his life doing that...

i suspect you won your case...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 12-29-2006, 20:29   #82
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Yeah, I know. But what a price for a soldier to needlessly pay to prove a point. Perhaps if I had been able to deck that clown and got court-martialed to bring it to the fore maybe Cliff would never had to pay for such idiocy. When I heard about that I got that sickening hollow feeling in my gut-just one of the many shadows that crop up from time to time.
Old 12-31-2006, 13:53   #83
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Hmmmm, was that the Flintlock where all the rough terrain teams that I trained were put out by the MC-130s over sugar beet fields?

The other Col, I believe, was Col Ed Catulo (sp?) and was memoralized at The Fort by naming the Latrine after him, "Dead Ed's Head".

Hmmm, that was a bit ago. I was stuck on "controller/grader" duty for an NG team that did very well. Even though they got screwed on jump in. Got hammered by the Rough terrain Teams in England for their jump in as they stated they were the only teams that DID NOT go in teh trees. I told them that the beets were rough enough.

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL OF YOU 10th GROUPERS!!!!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 21:26   #84
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

Bad Tolz June 1982 - July 1985

The very best assignment I ever had to date.
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 14:26   #85
TonyY
Quiet Professional

C/3/10th ODA 332 73-75. I BC'd HIPSHOT on a different thread and we knew each other and others from the team house a long time ago. He is probably one of the few that I actually remembered although I meet an old Team SGT at an SFA national convention afew years back.
TonyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 14:46   #86
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I knew Cliff - he came back to C/2 for a bit, then went back to 1 Bn, good guy.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 19:18   #87
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by x SF med
I knew Cliff - he came back to C/2 for a bit, then went back to 1 Bn, good guy.
i believe Cliff was with 3rd Battalion when the accident occured...he wasn't with 1st then...
Old 01-19-2007, 01:43   #88
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Almost ended in a courts-martial. They wanted to skyhook out a member of a 4 man pilot team leaving three guys with a whole bunch of equipment that couldn't be split up very well.
Col M,
Wasn't it a year later when we Skyhooked Mark LaRochelle back to Skulthorpe? He was luckier than Cliff and made it only to be killed in a chopper crash a few years later.

Craig
ODA 226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:06   #89
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA 226
Col M,
Wasn't it a year later when we Skyhooked Mark LaRochelle back to Skulthorpe? He was luckier than Cliff and made it only to be killed in a chopper crash a few years later.

Craig
Craig,
That was the incident I was talking about. When I found out that they had decided to hook out Mark, Duke Snider and I went to SOTFE and I went toe to toe with some LTC whose name escapes me now. The LTC made an effort to call for a couple of the brit MPs who where walking by when Duke grabbed me around my chest and hauled me off before I did what he wanted to do but realized that it was a no win situation. We made it out to the PZ and I went over all the equipment to make sure in my own mind that it was straight. I can still see Mark sailing over the treetops and not missing them by much when that bird snatched him. I quess the moral of the story is that SGMs often provide the adult supervision that officers tend to need from time to time
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16   #90
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Craig,
That was the incident I was talking about. When I found out that they had decided to hook out Mark, Duke Snider and I went to SOTFE and I went toe to toe with some LTC whose name escapes me now. The LTC made an effort to call for a couple of the brit MPs who where walking by when Duke grabbed me around my chest and hauled me off before I did what he wanted to do but realized that it was a no win situation. We made it out to the PZ and I went over all the equipment to make sure in my own mind that it was straight. I can still see Mark sailing over the treetops and not missing them by much when that bird snatched him. I quess the moral of the story is that SGMs often provide the adult supervision that officers tend to need from time to time
As I recall, Duke was the ONLY SOB in the company big enough to grab you around your chest and haul you off!

Craig
ODA 226 is offline   Reply With Quote