Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 04-24-2008, 04:41   #751
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Here are three of my home builds. They all have the appropriate number of compliance parts and FFL registered receivers..

The latest addition: FALainstein, started with an Imbel kit, DCI upper, salvaged wood, and IDF Trilux SUIT L2A2 scope.

http://jj-bpk.phanfare.com/show_imag...ion=6&rend=WEB

My Little Friend: Started life as a Hungarian AMD-65 kit, extended barrel 16", ACE stock, and Knilling fiddle case,, just because...

My 1st AK built: Screwed Romanian G kit,, w/DCI receiver

BPK
Nice FAL. I was thinking of picking up an AK with my stimulate the Economy gift money from the Government. Do you know of a manufacturer on line to order one from. Not some top of the line $2000 AK. But a decent mid level one.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32   #752
triQshot
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
BPK
Nice FAL. I was thinking of picking up an AK with my stimulate the Economy gift money from the Government. Do you know of a manufacturer on line to order one from. Not some top of the line $2000 AK. But a decent mid level one.
Are you looking for a cheap plinker? Or something that goes full auto?

I picked up my AK for 400, got 2 30 round mags with it. Its got the bayonet lug, cleaning rod, and 3 point flash compensator on the end. Wood stock and grips. Its also got the grenade launcher sights on it, so if you want to have a real big BOOM, you can. Its an import from Century Arms.

This link is the one I bought...

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...rod=RI1285%2DX

Its a plinker so I don't mind shooting "wolf" in it. Not a bad price either.

Last edited by triQshot; 04-24-2008 at 05:35. Reason: Left out some details about the gun.
triQshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:03   #753
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
BPK
I'm not a x-spert,, 3 builds puts me at entry level,, I learned everything I know from the different weapons fora. I also purchased most all the bit-n-pieces from the forums.

I purchased imported kit's, which up until lately were complete with out the receiver. and cheap. There has been a change and kits are now being imported with the barrel cut. This has caused prices to sky-rocket. There are a couple very good receiver manufactures in the US,, some not so good, I like DCI and of course DSA.

These AK's ran around 250-350 USD, complete. The fal kit 200 USD and the receiver 450 USD, compliance parts 150 USD.

None of these are "collector" grade,, that would double/triple prices,, FOR THE KITS..

If you have the time,, moderate WECSOG abilities,, and a couple friends with experience, building your own is very satisfiying..

The 2nd best way to find a good buy is the gun show rout. BUT be advised,, there are people buying and selling crap. You need someone the knows what to look for and what to avoid.

Again, you need an experienced guide..

Probably the biggest problem with purchasing from a home builder, is the compliance parts. Depending on the make/model you must have 6 to 8 America made parts,, and there is a finite list of what parts are allowed. An example,, you get a point for an American made barrel,, but no points for an American made sling. Generally, barrel, receiver, muzzle brake, HTS, stock parts (GF, PG, butt stock), gas piston, bolt, & carries are the major compliance parts.

Compliance parts differ by gun. SO does the minimum number of parts.

Looks like you get around, I see your on AR15, Glock and a couple others..

Bake to your question,, immerse yourself in the AK,, there are literally hundreds of models,, made in just about every country, the BATF will only allow certain imports with lots of restrictions..

Brands: IDF Galil, Valmet, VEPR, Norinco, Arsenal, WASR, Vector arms, Saiga, Krabs,,, that's about 20% of the better ones.

Just about any make/model that was build well is good to go,, will last years,, eat just about any ammo,, and is cheep...

They are not,, accurate,, the AK was designed for conscripts and on the cheap.

The FAL serves to this day in at least 10 countries,, at one time over 130 countries issued the FAL FN in several forms.

The US Army/Marines came within 2 inches of accepting the FAL in the early 1950t's,, but the McCarthy era "not invented here" isolationism squelched the purchase..

For my money, the FAL is one of the best battle rifles ever built,, and it uses an adjustable gas piston,, hint hint hint,, and the 7.62x51 cartridge,, one very sweet combo..

A well built FAL is in the 1K USD range,, or you can go to DSA..

IF YOU CAN FIND ONE,, an original T-48,, 3-5K USD

Try to get a range session on any you purchase..

Homework,, read lots,, find a friend...

Hope I answered your question..

Good Luck

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:34   #754
HOLLiS
Area Commander

JJ BPK, I agree on building your own. Some kits are not to much of a problem.

The one below, that required a bit of work. It had to be converted to a closed bolt system and a semi-auto firing group to be able to fire it.

I have another one I am working on. I have the close bolt conversion figured out, it is the semi-auto firing group that I need to design. it is a RPD.

I have built a number of AK 47's and 74's, a 1919 browning Conversion , a few Uzis, and some others. Goofs where converted to dummies. Surprisingly there is a market for dummies (Yep pun intended)

This the MG42, WWII gun, with closed bolt conversion and AR 15 semi-auto firing group. A note; it can not be made to fire full auto.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...75/MR42wTP.jpg
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:18   #755
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post

This the MG42, WWII gun, with closed bolt conversion and AR 15 semi-auto firing group. A note; it can not be made to fire full auto.

Hollis,, I'm very impressed,, Hope you don't mind, but I took a peek at your other pic's and spotted your work shop,, very professional looking.

As we live on an island, in the middle of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, inside The National Great White Heron Bird Refuge, inside a Key Deer endangered species area, and 6 other endangered mice, butterflies, bats, snakes, & the only North American Crocodile endangered species area,,,

I don't get a lot of range time....

Nearest range is 180 miles NW in the Banana Republic of Maima..

And thanks to FEMA and their hurricane rules, I can't even have a work shop..

So, I make do with what I can do on the kitchen table.. Not much,, but keeps me happy..

Thanks for sharing..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00   #756
Archangel
BANNED USER

Update on the Mk12 Mod 1

ACOG TA31DOC (Minus the DOC)
Falcon Menace 4.5-18 x 56mm in Larue SPR mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 236420.jpg (98.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg 236482.jpg (102.7 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 236421.jpg (108.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 236483.jpg (108.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 236484.jpg (109.1 KB, 309 views)
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 16:18   #757
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by triQshot View Post
Are you looking for a cheap plinker? Or something that goes full auto?

I picked up my AK for 400, got 2 30 round mags with it. Its got the bayonet lug, cleaning rod, and 3 point flash compensator on the end. Wood stock and grips. Its also got the grenade launcher sights on it, so if you want to have a real big BOOM, you can. Its an import from Century Arms.

This link is the one I bought...

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...rod=RI1285%2DX

Its a plinker so I don't mind shooting "wolf" in it. Not a bad price either.

I am not looking for a custom build or anything. But I also don't want a piece of junk. Right now I am torn between buying an AK or a PTR91. Both have rail systems available to upgrade optics. Here is the one I am looking at but with a folding stock.
http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91kfm4.html
Old 05-05-2008, 16:58   #758
rubberneck
Area Commander

Quote:
I am not looking for a custom build or anything. But I also don't want a piece of junk. Right now I am torn between buying an AK or a PTR91. Both have rail systems available to upgrade optics. Here is the one I am looking at but with a folding stock.
http://www.ptr91.com/product_pages/ptr91kfm4.html
Kgoerz give Blaine at Atlantic Arms a call. He carries a bunch of really nice AK's that won't break the bank.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...ew.asp?CatId=2
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 21:05   #759
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

New additions to the safe

Finally got some FALs and a Springfield Garand to round out the collection.

Surprised how accurate they are with the right ammo, especially the Israeli style DS Arms FAL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAL.jpg (33.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg FAL ISRAELI.jpg (41.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg GARAND.jpg (46.9 KB, 107 views)
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 21:10   #760
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Where were these pictures taken?

If this is the wrong spot for these pix, mods please move.

The pictures were taken in July of 98 on the left coast.

Pardon the poor quality. Small Canon pocket camera before digital. Enjoy.

Extra credit if you can identify the tie bubba is wearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20MM.jpg (64.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg ARMAGEDDON.jpg (52.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DHWMINI.jpg (43.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg GATLING.jpg (99.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg GUNGA DIN.jpg (58.4 KB, 115 views)
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Last edited by dr. mabuse; 05-14-2008 at 21:15.
Old 05-14-2008, 21:13   #761
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Wgere were these pictures taken cont'd.

More pix...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MINI TEST ROOM.jpg (45.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg MOVIE GUNS.jpg (55.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg MY GARAGE.jpg (90.8 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg WESTERN.jpg (49.7 KB, 134 views)

Old 05-14-2008, 21:28   #762
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I got nothing on the tie, but that's either Stembridge gun rentals or the folks who handled their collection before it got broken up and sold off.

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 21:36   #763
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Good eye. Syd and Larry let me cruise around awhile while they where testing the mini for "The Matrix". Recognize anything from any movies?

Old 05-20-2008, 19:25   #764
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Well I finally got my stuff back from the D#*!ks at the State Department. So I was able to put together my last AR. I decided to keep this one simple and light. I only test fired two Mags thru it at 25 Meters. No problems.
1. Stag Lower
2. LMT Upper
3. Troy Rail
4. LMT SOPMOD Stock
5. D&D Sling Adapters
6. ML2 Aim point
7. Vickers Sling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lmt3.JPG (118.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg lmt4.JPG (118.2 KB, 354 views)
Old 05-25-2008, 18:36   #765
lksteve
Quiet Professional

My arsenal...

Okay, pics of my long guns, my secret weapon and a close-up of the action of said secret weapon...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 04-14-2010 at 22:37.
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote