Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-22-2014, 07:27   #31
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
.....he cannot force his will on Congress.

He has refined his language from, "We’re not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help they need. I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone."

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35   #32
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yes Mr. President, they knew how to keep a despot from gaining too much power.
Absolutely, the founding fathers argued for 11 yrs deciding what type of government we would be and they decided on a constitutional republic. Constitutional republics historically take longer than any other government to be dismantled because of the system of checks and balances.

Every time our military deploys the buzz word in any conflict is to establish a democracy. It is no wonder why many of our military believe we are a democracy when the correction is made you get arguements. Try to educate one on the difference the Obama arguement comes out "Most the people live in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia etc...why do the small towns and farms have any say over the governments decisions?". Many a QP has made the same arguement, when a response such as a democracy is a few votes away from a dictatorship the "yeah right" look is given.

In our case for roughly a 100+ yrs the term democracy has replaced republic in public schools and media. Talking to my own kids while they were in school they believed we were a democracy. A hundred years of working on the psyche of the average voter to believe they are not being represented because the majority can be out voted by the minority in our representative system.

Trying to explain the 3 branches and the representative system is complex for someoone who does not care to understand. The media during elections further aggravates the misunderstanding when they compare the electoral vs the popular vote creating confusion and frustration. Explaining that a republic has many small governments that represents each states interests. Explaining that a farm state should represent it's own interests and needs so that the population centers do not pass laws that destroy their critical contributions. Explaining that people of live in LA should have no say over Montana is frustrating. Trying to explain that every governments NG is the state owned militia responsible for the defense of the state.

I think we are watching our republic being slowly dismantled as we speak and I believe that President Obama understands this and feels the timing is right to eliminate the system and replace it with democracy. See the below website.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Americans pace of life is to blame we are too busy to stop and preserve the sytem that has allowed our prosperity. I have read that the 11 yrs of arguing to establish a constitutional republic had alot to do with the split in ideology not the wording so much many wanted a Monarchy while others wanted a democracy while others argued for a republic.

Where will America be in 20 years?

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 07-22-2014 at 08:38.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote