Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-11-2013, 22:16   #16
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Western side would be really nice.
Eastern side ... as long as you've got your pockets full of rocks so you don't get blown away, wouldn't be bad either.

Here's hoping you get the western side of the state.
Going where the oil is...Casper, where the four winds play...there's no shortage of wind in western Wyoming, either...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:41   #17
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
Going where the oil is...Casper, where the four winds play...there's no shortage of wind in western Wyoming, either...
Well, Casper ain't that bad.
Look on the bright side .... you're just that much closer to Sturgis.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:44   #18
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well, Casper ain't that bad.
Look on the bright side .... you're just that much closer to Sturgis.
True...and there is that tax rate...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 20:20   #19
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Colorado Democrats inflict more pain on law abiding citizens
http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/02/1.../?subscriber=1

DENVER - After more than eight hours of public testimony Tuesday, Democrats passed out of committee two gun-control measures that would create universal background checks and limit high-capacity magazines to 15 rounds

Some one send this to MAGPUL

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18027670 ... -Falls-TX/

Wichita Falls, TX Office/Warehouse
Total Space Available:12,000 SF
Rental Rate:$3,000 /Month
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 17:45   #20
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Apparently 15 is fine, but 20 is bad and 30 is the sign of the Beast!
I wish I could get up to Denver but some medical stuff has me ocupied here.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 23:48   #21
Sdiver
Area Commander

Well, looks as if these four Bills have passed the house and are now on there way to the Senate.

Oh and .... Uncle Joe, who is vacationing out here, called several of the state Dims making sure these Bills get pushed through.

Quote:
DENVER - The Colorado House has passed all four gun control measures being debated Friday.

Democrats and Republicans sparred for nearly 12 hours over four gun-control bills before finishing just before 10 p.m.

The bills face one more vote in the House before moving to the Senate for consideration.

One measure, sponsored by Rep. Rhonda Fields, D-Aurora, would prohibit large capacity ammunition magazines.

Fields, whose son, Javad, and his fiancé, Vivian Wolfe, were murdered by gun wielding assailants in 2005, said limiting the size of magazines will save lives.

“High capacity magazines were designed to have one purpose,” she said, “and that is to kill large numbers of people, quickly.”

Fields told fellow House members that the gunman who walked into a theater in Aurora, “killed 12 people and injured 58 in ninety seconds.”

But Republicans, including Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg, R-Logan County, said, “Banning high capacity magazine will not keep evil people from doing evil things.”

“This piece of legislation is not going to prevent tragedy from happening in the future,” said House Minority Leader, Rep. Mark Waller.

Waller said that what the bill will do is drive good jobs out of state.

He cited a pronouncement by the Chief Operating Officer of Magpul, an Erie based firearms accessories manufacturer, that it will leave the state if HB 13-1224 becomes law.

Rep. Jared Wright, R-Mesa County, echoed Waller’s concerns while reading a letter from Greg Alfred, the owner of Alfred Manufacturing, which supplies parts to Magpul.

“If HB 1224 passes,” Alfred’s letter stated, “We will relocate part or all of our operations out of state.”

One after another, Democratic lawmakers spoke in favor of the bill.

“The horror of (the theater shooting in) Aurora is a wake-up call members,” said Rep. Sue Schafer, D-Jefferson County. “Let’s wake-up.”

And one after another, Republicans spoke out against it.

“Many lawmakers don’t have experience with guns,” said Rep. Kevin Priola, R-Adams County. “But that doesn’t give you the right to take away a Second Amendment right from other Coloradans.”

But, Democrats point out that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that, like most rights, the Second Amendment is not without limits.

House members also approved a measure requiring a background check for all gun sales in Colorado.

Democrats said that was important because such a check could flag whether a potential gun buyer had a restraining order issued against them.

Republicans said the bill will be difficult, if not impossible to enforce.

Lawmakers also passed a measure to allow the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to charge gun buyers a fee for their background check. And lawmakers passed a bill banning concealed weapons in buildings on college campuses. I certainly am not happy with THIS one.

The bills will be forwarded to the Democratic-controlled Senate for consideration.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...city-magazines

Last edited by Sdiver; 02-15-2013 at 23:52.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:17   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Well, looks as if these four Bills have passed the house and are now on there way to the Senate.

Oh and .... Uncle Joe, who is vacationing out here, called several of the state Dims making sure these Bills get pushed through.
Looks like the transplanted Californians are fixing things in Colorado now.

If this passes, I will no longer consider Colorado for my family vacations.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50   #23
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Between Joe offering favors to the local dems and Bloomberg pumping money in, I feel we're going to fall back until we can vote these jackasses out of office. Even a few gun toting Democratic friends I know are not pleased at all. Including our local sheriff.

I'm amazedf I wrote that without any profanity.

I did have to re-write it several times.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 02-16-2013, 13:49   #24
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Between Joe offering favors to the local dems and Bloomberg pumping money in, I feel we're going to fall back until we can vote these jackasses out of office. Even a few gun toting Democratic friends I know are not pleased at all. Including our local sheriff.

I'm amazedf I wrote that without any profanity.

I did have to re-write it several times.
Is it possible that the law (if passed) will conflict with the Colorado Constitution?
Quote:
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.
The explicit exception for concealed weapons would seem to imply that other exceptions are not valid.

As it currently stands, you can own just about ANY type of armament in Colorado.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=i2xgW...%3Di2xgWR-Gr68
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 17:27   #25
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Is it possible that the law (if passed) will conflict with the Colorado Constitution?

The explicit exception for concealed weapons would seem to imply that other exceptions are not valid.

As it currently stands, you can own just about ANY type of armament in Colorado.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=i2xgW...%3Di2xgWR-Gr68
Rather than attacking specific weapons like Feinstein & co, they have gone after mag capacity.
Then when the next loonie with a 15 round mag shoots up a place, they'll say that the weapon is the problem and go with a gun ban. (seriousy, a 15 round AR mag?)

And after seeing Magpul's letter, they amended the bill to allow them to manufacture hi cap mags in Colorado, but not sell them here.
Aaarrrrrggggghh!
Now we'll see what the jackasses in the Senate do next week.
The NRA seems to have given up on us. But I see they're having a big rally in Houston to counter the Fed threat.
I keep telling folks the immediate threat is state govts, not DC.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 02-17-2013, 18:46   #26
tonyz
Area Commander

Perhaps, the enlightened political elite of Colorado should read about the Massachusetts experience - since they insist on traveling that road.

Crime soared with Mass. gun law
By Jeff Jacoby | GLOBE COLUMNIST FEBRUARY 17, 2013

IN 1998, Massachusetts passed what was hailed as the toughest gun-control legislation in the country. Among other stringencies, it banned semiautomatic “assault” weapons, imposed strict new licensing rules, prohibited anyone convicted of a violent crime or drug trafficking from ever carrying or owning a gun, and enacted severe penalties for storing guns unlocked.

“Today, Massachusetts leads the way in cracking down on gun violence,” said Republican Governor Paul Cellucci as he signed the bill into law. “It will save lives and help fight crime in our communities.” Scott Harshbarger, the state’s Democratic attorney general, agreed: “This vote is a victory for common sense and for the protection of our children and our neighborhoods.” One of the state’s leading anti-gun activists, John Rosenthal of Stop Handgun Violence, joined the applause. “The new gun law,” he predicted, “will certainly prevent future gun violence and countless grief.”

It didn’t.

<snip>

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/...kEM/story.html

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 19:21   #27
SF18C
Quiet Professional

The latest from MAGPUL...

Magpul Industries Corp.

We're hearing some rumors that the Gov and the Dem caucus think we are bluffing. Just to clarify for them, then...we're not a political company. We dont play political games. We've made our position very clear, very publicly. We would not survive lying to our customer base, nor would we ever consider it. If you pass this, we will leave, and you will own it. We've already got plans in place to get PMAG manufacturing moved rapidly, and the rest of the company will follow. We will make sure to at least have a small remain-behind operation through the 2014 elections so that we can remind folks why we are gone.
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 19:26   #28
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

From the Denver Post

Magpul's Departure could Crack Plastics Industry
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 02-17-2013, 21:04   #29
ajls
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Perhaps, the enlightened political elite of Colorado should read about the Massachusetts experience - since they insist on traveling that road.

Crime soared with Mass. gun law
By Jeff Jacoby | GLOBE COLUMNIS

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/...kEM/story.html
MOO-

Unfortunately I think expecting the Democrat controlled legislatures of any state-be it CO, NY, CA, wherever-to learn a lesson from the unsuccessful gun control laws previously passed and realize it won't work as advertised is an expectation doomed for disappointment. As has been previously pointed out in various threads here, Chicago rather proudly has some of the toughest laws in the nation as well as the highest murder rate, and you don't see the gun control supporters acknowledging the abject failure there. Why would we think those State governments would acknowledge the failure of policies similar to those they wish to initiate?

IF these laws are passed in CO it will be up to the voters to change them either through the courts or the voting booth.
ajls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:14   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

When the states and municipalities with the tough laws are asked why the laws don't work, they frequently blame the states around them with less draconian firearms laws.

The really curious question is why those states with the less restrictive firearms laws, also have lower firearms related crime rates themselves.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote