Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 07-01-2014, 22:23   #31
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCandle View Post
I forgot to respond to this:
1 out of 15 odd? We also had Bantu Holomisa for goodness sake.
I DON'T SEE THE PARALLEL. HE WAS IN TRANSKEI UNTIL POST APARTHEID.

The parallel is that we also had him in our pocket after all the Transkei was hardly a legitimate autonomous country, although the Nats insisted it must be because it had its own government.

My argument here is really not to prove that it is a 1:1 but rather to show that it can be argued. Which it clearly can be.

"There are also a majority of Israeli's who say that, fyi:"
A few years ago if I remember there were a bunch of Jews and Arabs fighting in court to be recognized as "Israelis" by nationality, something that has been denied because it would undermine the countries self declared status as a Jewish State. Making a distinction between Nationality and Citizenship. Even the IDs will show any official whether he is dealing with a Jew or an Arab.

So yes you may not have a de jure segregation but a de fact segregation almost definitely exists.

As they say South Africa's mistake was to write it into the law of the land and then enforce it harshly with a puritanical bent. Winning hearts and minds was not a National Party strength.

Hierdie stryery kry nou 'n lewens van sy eie. Miskien moet ons nou stem om nie te stem nie ..
Nowadays, ALL Israeli citizens, regardless of religion and ethnicity get the SAME Israeli ID document and have the SAME rights, BY LAW and IN PRACTICE. You are correct, it did indeed used to State "Nationality" which could be "Jewish", "Russian" or blank for "anything else" including Arabs; this was changed by a supreme court ruling and now it is always blank for all, unless the holder has specifically requested to have something written. related to the ID document issue you brought up: There is an ongoing argument regarding Palestinians that are descendants of Palestinians that voluntarily left pre and during the 1948 war and now want to return as citizens of Israel. This Israel will not allow due to it upsetting the balance of Jew:non-Jew and indeed, they forfeited their right when they left after being told by their Imam's that it would be temporary and soon after the Jews are killed, they would be able to return. It didn't quite work out that way.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Hoepoe

Last edited by hoepoe; 07-01-2014 at 22:54.
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:50   #32
RomanCandle
Guerrilla

Indeed thanks. I wont pretend to have the latest and best new from the area so I stand corrected on that.
RomanCandle is offline   Reply With Quote