Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 09-02-2006, 05:49   #16
Pete
Quiet Professional

Ft Belvoir

In the early 80s Ft Belvoir had a diorama (small scale in a box) in the schools building of a portion of the Europian Battlefield as was thought to happen during the cold war.

It showed the use of a tactical nuke to block an avenue of approach. Pretty well done.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:18   #17
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoLawman
I love mysteries!!!

Here is what I found
http://www.usarmygermany.com/Units/H...20ABN.htm#ODA7

.....SFODA-7 at that time was made up of CPT Flavin, 1LT Matherly, MSG Brakeman, SFC Johnson, SFC Geiger, SSG Hayse, SFC Camus, SFC Pruett, SSG Hering, SSG McCann, SSG Moore and SSG Detrick.
F. Richard Hayse
Many Thanks CoLawman! It's funny that I don't recall the crest as I was at Tölz from Feb 1981 to June 1984. I do remember SFC Pruett and SSG Moore. Mike Sherman was the SADM team leader at the time. Lots of stories about Sherman (wild man, never ever let him drive ANYTHING!) abound. ODA 7 was an interesting team to say the least.

As I recall SSG Moore was a former pro boxer and his kids set his quarters on fire (June 1984)! Maybe Lksteve can confirm it's the same SSG Moore that I'm thinking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moore fire 2.jpg (32.7 KB, 53 views)
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:48   #18
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen
Mike Sherman was the SADM team leader at the time. Lots of stories about Sherman (wild man, never ever let him drive ANYTHING!) abound. ODA 7 was an interesting team to say the least.
you never spent any time in A-7s team room, did you...? they had that crest on their equipment lockers and on the detachment SOPs...and Mike Sherman was a card...served with him again in the 8th PSYOP Bn...

i don't remember Moore as a boxer, but he was one of the guys that came after i had served my indenture as NSO...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 09-03-2006 at 10:14.
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:38   #19
smp52
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Welcome to the Department of Energy OpenNet System
The Department of Energy (DOE) is committed to openness. In support of that commitment, we have developed OpenNet to provide easy, timely access to recently declassified documents, including information declassified in response to Freedom of Information Act requests.

http://www.osti.gov/opennet/forms.js.../factsfin.html
DOE's unclassified nuclear weapon's test historical film archive has a clip of Navy/Marines personnel jumping from a Sea Knight with a SADM.

http://www.nv.doe.gov/library/films/film.aspx?ID=18
smp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:41   #20
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp52
DOE's unclassified nuclear weapon's test historical film archive has a clip of Navy/Marines personnel jumping from a Sea Knight with a SADM.
real men jumped from C130s...at night...into cold water wearing Viking damp suits...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
Old 09-03-2006, 12:20   #21
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
you never spent any time in A-7s team room, did you...? they had that crest on their equipment lockers and on the detachment SOPs...and Mike Sherman was a card...served with him again in the 8th PSYOP Bn...

Naw, I never did get into 7's teamroom. Everytime I went by their team room Mike was locking up the HS locks on the gate that covered the door. When I would ask Mike what he had in there, he would say "Best Kimchi"!

So what ever happened to Mike & Lani and their kids (mean, meaner, and meanest)?
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 16:19   #22
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen
So what ever happened to Mike & Lani and their kids (mean, meaner, and meanest)?
i last saw Mike in '94 right before i retired...he was commanding B Co. 8th PSYOP...he had been passed over for O5 (no C&GSC)...

Last edited by lksteve; 09-03-2006 at 17:19.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:13   #23
MAB32

"CodeName: COPPERHEAD" By Sergeant Major Joe R. Garner talks about him being the first man to jump with the bomb on his back in 1960. Good reading and highly reccommended for your Library, Just FYI.
Old 09-07-2006, 17:25   #24
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
real men jumped from C130s...at night...into cold water wearing Viking damp suits...
You mean Viking freeze you butt off suits?

That toy, the giant 45 cal round, was an "interesting" jump.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 19:04   #25
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947
You mean Viking freeze you butt off suits?
i do believe that would be the suit...every one we had in the 10th Group SCUBA locker had dry rotted seals...our procedure (pre-polypropylene days) was to wear silk long johns over GI-issue wool long johns and fin like hell toward the OBJ before the damn suit completely flooded...

and freezing your butt off was more fun than a suit squeeze...

Quote:
That toy, the giant 45 cal round, was an "interesting" jump.
i never really developed a love for jumping it...only jumped it twice...i was too small to get tagged to do it as a full-time job, methinks...either that or i was reallllly lucky...
Old 09-07-2006, 19:43   #26
Q
Quiet Professional

Special Weapons

I think just about every team in the 10th has pulled this duty one time or another. Especially in the '70's. I had the "pleasure" on ODA-215 for a year. 66 lbs. of heartache if I remember right. Have you swam with the damn thing? Not fun, not fun at all. "Q".

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!" Then the Lord said, "Go........Isaiah 6:8
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 19:53   #27
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Have you swam with the damn thing? Not fun, not fun at all.
with a leaking Viking Dry suit, yes...ranks right up there with root canals and SDNCO...
Old 09-07-2006, 21:35   #28
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Hmmmm, exact same place I got my suits, but I was doing it on the surface as a swim team and not as a bubble blower. Those things were rotten in the 70s, the last time I used suits at 10th was the newer neoprene Vikings that actaully kept you dry, cripes what a concept!!

Suit squeeze is not fun, glad I stayed on the surface!!!

Now Tech Evals really sucked!!

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:30   #29
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
but I was doing it on the surface as a swim team and not as a bubble blower. Now Tech Evals really sucked!!
tech evals weren't so bad if one guy read the -10 while the other guy fiddled with the toy...if you thought you knew what you were doing and ignored that part, you could get into trouble...

never could blow bubbles myself, but got suit squeezes doing helo-casting, water jumps and once, doing cross-overs under a Coast Guard cutter in a harbor...
Old 09-08-2006, 19:48   #30
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
tech evals weren't so bad if one guy read the -10 while the other guy fiddled with the toy.....
That was the only way to do it. The problem was that it was a tedious pain in the butt, step by step, I hated them.

Helo casting will get you a squeeze, but even just down a few feet on a dive will give you a welt that will last a bit.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.