Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-19-2004, 10:25   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

SF History

Folks: The post about Dick Meadows brings something to mind -- the true "Quiet Professionals". In Post-War Germany an act was put into effect, (I believe the Dulles Act) which allowed displaced persone (DPs) to enlist in the U.S. military in Europe and eventually receive their U.S. Citizenship. Many took advantage of this program, a version of the Foreign Legion. The Polish Brigade performed all of the duties in Germany that the Post Engineers do here. IIRC they also puled much of the Post Security.

Several, perhaps 100+, ended up in the 10th SFGA in Bad Toelz. Most of them represented a story of undergroujnd contacts, escape across the Iron Curtain and much more. Many changed their names since they had rewards on their heads. They were true professionals and many died in Vietnam before ever having a chance to live a life of freedom in the States. One I remember, Rosniuk, not only escaped across the Iron Curtain, but took a leave and walked back to the Ukrain to visit his mother and then returned. There was a former East German Soldier in my company who had literally shot his way across the border to freedom.

For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:38   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

If I'm not mistaken, that was the Lodge Act.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:53   #3
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Thanks NDD.

misery is optional.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:01   #4
Kyobanim

Re: SF History

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30

For years their stories couldn't be told. Perhaps now, with the fall of the Soviet Union they can. This would be a worthy project for any budding authors out there.

There is a lot of history out there which will be lost if people don't write it down. Though hardly a hero, that is the purpose of my Web Site. Some of the FOGS, VFOGS and VVFOGS need to stop being so modest and start recording their personal histories.

On another vein, we FOGS tend to think we were first. Not true!! We have predecessors all of the way back to the Revolutionary War. From what I have heard, today's SF soldiers are every bit as dedicated and professional as were the RVN era soldiers. They are now authorized to sit at a table and tell their stories and I would gladly sit with them and keep the drinks coming.
Too true.

I'd be more than happy to provide web space for blogging this project. I've always wanted to document the stories of the QPs but didn't have the resources to devote full time to the project or even know where to begin. I think I feel a project coming on.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:46   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Why not do it here?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 13:01   #6
DunbarFC
Guerrilla

I'd be williing to help in any way needed

I surf the web for 90% of my day so I have the "free" time
Old 03-19-2004, 14:04   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

The Quiet Professionals here can and will support this in any way possible. Web pages are not an issue. And it seems we have some very smart people offering their talent. QRQ you ready to be the Team Leader again?
Old 03-19-2004, 15:49   #8
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

There is an awful lot involved. For the most part, the only ones who know the stories are the individuals themselves. I guess the first step would be to seek out sources like SFA and the 10rth SF G Association. Then we have to convince the individuals to tell their stories. Not only modesty but residual fear may come into play. I remember once whe Paul Etman was called by his original name by someone who recognized him from a previous life. Paul turned as white as a sheet. Once the stories are compiled we will have to get permission from the individual to use his story This could be a real ambitious venture and may be better left to someone with journalism/history/publishing know how. I would certainly be willing to help

misery is optional.

Old 03-19-2004, 16:20   #9
Razor
Quiet Professional

If I make the next SFA chapter meeting here, I'll talk to some of the guys and see if they'd be willing to tell their stories. We had a couple OM's at one time (I believe one has passed away, though ).
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 17:10   #10
Kyobanim

I will do whatever I can to assist. Someone give me a target.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Optimus Prime
Old 03-19-2004, 18:19   #11
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I have too little work right now, so if anyone needs any help I'm good to go when it comes to research assignments.

Solid

PS: Apparently, I can write-up stories or type-edit, too.

Last edited by Solid; 03-19-2004 at 19:19.
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 19:13   #12
pulque
Guerrilla

I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit.
pulque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 19:44   #13
Kyobanim

Looks like all we need is a boss.

Optimus Prime
Old 03-20-2004, 05:47   #14
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by pulque
I'm available for any tasks help needed. Can research, transcribe, edit.
Ditto. I've worked on oral history projects and would love to help here.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:10   #15
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Good Morning Folks. My intention in bringing up this thread was to perhaps goad a historian/author into producing a book. That was dreaming though I think someone like Robin Moore could find satisfactory material.

Perhaps a Web Site makes more sense. There would be a minimum of expense and more would perhaps "surf in" and see it and even then contribute.

This is a subject dear to my heart. I get sick and tired of hearing natural born (ain't ever done a thing to earn it) citizens talk of naturalized citizens as second class. Perhaps the premiss in the book/movie "Starship Troopers" will eventually come into play -- you must serve in order to earn your citizenship.. I love to ask who had the opportunity to choose his parents and place of birth. Only one I can think of.

From what I see, there is tremendous talent on this site for producing Web Sites, such as the B-52 site. What I propose is that I and a few try to collect points of contact and turn them over to volunteer "reporters" . They can then turn their material back to the editors who can edit and publish.

IMHO there is some history out there which will go to the grave if we can't goad people into telling their stories.

BTW: I just remembered the name of the Sgt I mentioned in the original post -- Roesch.

misery is optional.